Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will ridgid still be here in 10 years?

what i mean is will they still be making wood working tools.i for one feel that they will soon become one of the top tool makers in the usa with in the next 5 years. but what do you all think? will ridgid still be making these tools 10 years from now???
    9/11/01, never forget.

It's hard to say in this world of mergers and takeovers. But I would bet that the Ridgid name is simply too valuable to disappear. Emerson appears to be a strong company (although I haven't checked their financial statements) and they certainly show some innovative thinking. While I don't particularly care for it's manufacturing strategy of subbing out to China, it does indicate that that they are tuned to world resources and have some "global" strategic thinking. Certainly their domestic (USA) products for the plumbing trades is very reputable as are their shop vac products.

Similarly, their licensing to Techtronics International, though somewhat controversial with regard to China-based manufacturing, seems to be very successful. In spite of some problems with defects and parts shortages, their products are still very reputable for the large part and certainly they have the best warranty in the business while still staying price competitive.

Bottom line opinion from me is that Emerson, Techtronics, and certainly the Ridgid name will still be around ten years from now. Who will own who, is anybody's guess; but the names will still be major players.

CWS

[ 10-26-2005, 10:41 PM: Message edited by: CWSmith ]

Comment

lol cws you are right in every thing you said(as far as i can tell anyways)but the questoin was will they still be making wood working tools in the next 10 years
      9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

OK, I'll go out on the limb first. There is absolutely no doubt that they will be around making WW tools in ten years. By that time, they will also be recognized as one of the premium lines as well. History will also bookmark them as the first to offer, but by then the industry standard, Limited Lifetime Service Agreement!

So, all those who think I'm wrong will have to wait 10 years to say so. [img]tongue.gif[/img] Just my 02¢ worth but then again, I could be wrong. [img]smile.gif[/img]
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

i believe they would still be..

Comment

I can agree that the name Ridgid will be around in ten years. I would expect that the name Ridgid will be around long efter anyone here has passed on. Like CW wrote who owns who or when and where is anyones guess.

Also whether or not that name is on certain types of tools or if they merge another brand onto a particular line is up for grabs. 10 years ago if someone had told me that the makers of the Mercedes Benz and the Dodge Truck would be one and the same company I would have laughed very hard at the speaker, and I would have been wrong.
            Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave:
              There is absolutely no doubt that they will be around making WW tools in ten years.
              There is absolutely no doubt that they will NOT be around making WW tools in ten years.

Now one of us has got to be right! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
              Lorax
              "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Lorax:
                  </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by BadgerDave:
                  There is absolutely no doubt that they will be around making WW tools in ten years.
                  There is absolutely no doubt that they will NOT be around making WW tools in ten years.

Now one of us has got to be right! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
                  </font>[/QUOTE]Well, even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
                  Phil
                  Tools Rule

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave:
                    OK, I'll go out on the limb first. There is absolutely no doubt that they will be around making WW tools in ten years. By that time, they will also be recognized as one of the premium lines as well. History will also bookmark them as the first to offer, but by then the industry standard, Limited Lifetime Service Agreement!

So, all those who think I'm wrong will have to wait 10 years to say so. [img]tongue.gif[/img] Just my 02¢ worth but then again, I could be wrong. [img]smile.gif[/img]
                    Their electric tools are junk sold to people who have no idea how a quality tool functions. This is probably a good stratagy when you realize that the knowledge of the American public has slipped.

If they continue to make defective tools, however, I don't see them lasting for ten years.

the dog
                    the dog

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10:
                      Their electric tools are junk sold to people who have no idea how a quality tool functions. This is probably a good stratagy when you realize that the knowledge of the American public has slipped.
                      So basically what you're saying is the anyone who has ever bought or ever will buy a Ridgid electric tool is ignorant and that only you possess sufficient knowledge to properly judge what is and isn't quality.

Interesting approach to life. Does anyone besides your mother like you? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog:
                        "Their electric tools are junk sold to people who have no idea how a quality tool functions. This is probably a good stratagy when you realize that the knowledge of the American public has slipped."

Must have slipped--can't even spell "strategy" anymore.
                        By the way, are a badger and a dog natural enemies? [img]smile.gif[/img] http://www.ridgidforum.com/ubb/icons/icon7.gif

Comment

The Ramblers gone
                          but not forgotten

Comment

I agree with Plumbdog to the extent that in the long run its only the product quality and after sales service that matters. If you have only one of the two, yu cant survive. The two together lead to customer satisfaction and a satisfied customer will happily make you realize your business objective and that is Profit.
                            Right now, Ridgid is lacking in both.IMHO. Just having a lifetime waranty in place is not enough. It has to be convenient enough to be usable.

Comment

Delta, DeWalt, Porter Cable, Bosch, Milwaukee, Makita, Jet, Powermatic, Grizzly, Skil, Hitachi, Ryobi and none of the manufacturers that badge Craftsman tools offer a program similar to Ridgids' Limited Lifetime Service Agreement and they all seem to have survived quite well. In addition to that, none of the above mfgs. offer in home warranty repair either.

You seem to be on an unwarranted tangent against Ridgid in almost all of your posts since you joined this group.

To criticize Ridgid for not having a service that no other manufacturer offers says more about you than it does about Ridgid. It makes about as much sense as me jumping to an immediate conclusion that there is not a problem with your band saw but that the problem solely rest on your shoulders due to operator error during the assembly process.
                              Last edited by BadgerDave; 09-08-2006, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X