New Forum Improvement Requests

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Forum Improvement Requests

The new forum software has been running smoothly for a good while now. Picture posting, mobile compatibility, Visitor Messages showing up under "whats new", are areas we worked to fix and are now good to go...

I am still reading a few folks complaining about the upgraded version of the forum vs the old.

I want to use this thread to continue to clean up some of the rough edges of the new software.

Please post suggestions on features that you miss from the old forum or any problems you still find with the forum.

Thanks, Josh

Still cant find what's new . Just to find your post I had to look on each forum thread. Isn't there a way to find "TODAYS POST"

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

• Josh
      Josh commented
      Editing a comment
      "Today's Posts" only shows up when you are not logged in. I can have the system admin add it to the top menu. Stay tuned.

• Josh
      Josh commented
      Editing a comment
      Jeff just added "today's posts" to everyone's top menu now.

"NEW POSTS" is working fine for me however I would still like to see which forum those postings are originating from.
    ================================================== ====
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

• Josh
      Josh commented
      Editing a comment
      I believe we can probably pull this off. I think there is a master setting that shows what type of view the "what's new" list shows up as. Ill look into this and post back.

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
    would still like to see which forum those postings are originating from.
    me too.

tapatalk access would be great, too.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

• Josh
      Josh commented
      Editing a comment
      Our goal is to get forumrunner and tapatalk compatibility up soon. Tapatalk should be possible now. Forum runner may take another update from vbulletin before its supported.

We are going to stage tapatalk on our test server and maybe migrate over tomorrow or Thurs if all is working fine.

• Plumber Punky
      Plumber Punky commented
      Editing a comment
      i dont see ridgid in the tapatalk search function. must not be online yet?

Ditto new posts.

Comment

"New posts" does not work on any of my apple devices consistently, sometimes yes sometimes no. It's rather annoying. Also "mark forums read" does not work. After I leave the site and come back it shows all forums as having new posts.

Comment

• Josh
        Josh commented
        Editing a comment
        as a temporary fix will adding the "Today's Posts" in the top menu when you are logged in work?

• Josh
        Josh commented
        Editing a comment
        Buffalo, I changed the way the database is logging what forums have been read. Please try again and let me know if it fixed it for you.

Thanks, Josh

Thanks Josh. Right now todays post shows when logged off. When logged on, it shows "WHOS ONLINE" but that only shows myself when I try it. The only way I see whos online is to scroll to the top and hit "FORUM"

Rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Everything runs much slower on my end in comparison to the old forum. Same computer, same connection. (Maybe that's out of your control?)

PM's show the same amount no matter how many I delete. So, I'm over the limit, delete some, and it says the same amount is still there along with being unable to send & receive any.

As Rick says, "Who's Online" can be handy at times. Someone may be on that would know an answer to something and a member could list the question and maybe get a quicker response.

I'm conflicted with "Likes" on forums. Sometimes it seems juvenile. BUT I think it encourages participation a certain percentage. The current "Like" button is virtually invisible whereas the old version was more visible. (Showing who liked or recognized the post.) So it's like it's not there, and therefore the percentage is lost.

My Ridgid logo/button at the top now reloads the forum where it used to link back to the main Ridgid product website. Having it be the link for the forum seems redundant.

I absolutely hate the "What's New" page. You're not alone. Other forum's switched to a newer version and have something similar. It just doesn't list and read well at all. If I forget and click it, I'm instantly pissed I wasted my time looking at it.

I think you would get more input from more professionals if there were some way to have a professional's only area. Many professionals that have participated here in the past don't any longer because they feel it is detrimental to their trade and/or dangerous with a possible liability.

I think a jetter only section as an addition would be good. Maybe help to have an independent section dedicated only to discussion, design, and uses.

That's all for now.

Thanks.
        Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 07-08-2014, 08:55 PM.

Comment

• Josh
          Josh commented
          Editing a comment
          Just increased stored message quote from 400 to 1000

• BobsPlumbing
          BobsPlumbing commented
          Editing a comment
          "What's New" could just be me looking at it again. Maybe others can chime in. This one seems better than other forums.

However....
          What's New
          Today's Posts

^^^^ They all seem to cross over each other. What's New can be a Today's Post and a New Post. No?

Keeping it simple, and with current turnover, all that is probably needed is New Posts. I mean, their all time-stamped and dated. Everyone can figure out pretty quickly from there.

So there is some confusing redundancy. At least for myself.

I like to think I'm open to change. So I don't want the old forum back. But I personally preferred it's apparent simplicity 'cause I could "fly" on it. Click New Posts, scroll, read, respond, learn, aggravate, on to the next one.

• BobsPlumbing
          BobsPlumbing commented
          Editing a comment
          Speed is a little better for whatever reason today.

On a computer, if someone posts a picture/s, it loads the new picture window, and the pictures are cut off at the top of the screen. There is no way to scroll it down either.

I've also went back to the original post, scrolled the pictures to the bottom of the page to maybe allow more room for the picture window, but it still loads and cuts the off at the top.

And I've attempted to decrease the page size as well. Nope, doesn't work. Makes everything smaller, but still loads with top of the pictures cut off.

Windows 7 in Google Chrome if it helps.

Comment

• Josh
          Josh commented
          Editing a comment
          Could you shoot me an example link. I am usually using firefox and haven't experienced that. I browsed around with Chrome and everything works fine for me so far. If you could post a link to a specific thread I'll check it out. Thanks, Josh

• BobsPlumbing
          BobsPlumbing commented
          Editing a comment
          This thread. The picture of the faucet. (Middle Picture) When opened in the automatic/new picture window, the picture is cut off at about middle ways of the handle on the faucet.

https://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/me...acturer-please

And no, I cannot scroll to see any of it. Maybe I'll try opening in a new tab, but that shouldn't have to be done in my opinion.

Just did it. New tab only gives the original picture in the original size posted. This forum is very frustrating now.
          Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 07-09-2014, 02:06 PM.

Why arn`t the name of the people thanking you (Like) at the bottom of ones post for all to view instead of have to got into your avator at the top of the screen

Tony

Comment

• Josh
          Josh commented
          Editing a comment
          That's a tricky one. In the old forum the thanks or like function was an add on feature that you could customize. This one is built in. Still trying to find if you can add who liked.

• PLUMBER RICK
          PLUMBER RICK commented
          Editing a comment
          actually. just put your mouse/ cursor onto the little box and give it a second. it will generate those that thanked you.
          i'll give you a courtesy like to test it out for you. but i might take it back later if you don't behave.

Rick.

• Josh
          Josh commented
          Editing a comment
          Actually you have to click on the number to see a list of who liked the post. Sorry.. I am still learning to use some of the new features as well.

This is the link I bookmarked to give me the latest on the forum:

https://www.ridgidforum.com/search?searchJSON={%22date%22%3A%22lastVisit%22%2C %22view%22%3A%22topic%22%2C%22unread_only%22%3A1%2 C%22sort%22%3A{%22lastcontent%22%3A%22desc%22}%2C% 22exclude_type%22%3A[%22vBForum_PrivateMessage%22]}
        ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

BobsPlumbing hit so many of my gripes and explained them well so I won't repeat them. I don't know about anyone else but the font size could be larger or give me the ability to change it. Yes, I know I can do that in my browser, but if I do everything else is huge and its a PITA to switch back and forth allmthe time. You may have noticed (and probably don't give a hoot) that I have not been on as much these past couple months. Its mainly because I can't stand the new forum and the way it looks and some of how it works. I know its not going to change just for me so the change to be made is I will be here less. I've have found TBN to be a great place to visit and spend more time there now even though it is loaded with ad it is less painful to use than this place is now to me.
          "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
          John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

• PLUMBER RICK
            PLUMBER RICK commented
            Editing a comment
            Bob, it's actually getting better as Josh has jumped in and corrected most of the issues.

The font took a little getting use to, but i'm ok with it now.

Stick around and contribute like you always have and it will get better. The worst is behind us now.

Rick.

• Josh
            Josh commented
            Editing a comment
            In the bottom left of every page is a dropdown with different styles. You can select a "large" font version from there. Should remember it for next time you visit as well.

To me every time i check in , and hit new post or to days post !
          I only get a few posts , it always looks like nothing is going on any more so i just check back out

Comment

I would like to see the "View first unread" option returned.
            When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Comment

• Josh
              Josh commented
              Editing a comment
              I cant recall ever using that option. Was it just a link on the old site or was it just a link at the end of the listings?

• PLUMBER RICK
              PLUMBER RICK commented
              Editing a comment
              It was a link just like todays post. It kept tract of where you left off and was great for picking up where you left.

Rick.

• Plumber Punky
              Plumber Punky commented
              Editing a comment
              it's the little blue circled down arrow thing next to the thread title

Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post
            On a computer, if someone posts a picture/s, it loads the new picture window, and the pictures are cut off at the top of the screen. There is no way to scroll it down either.

I've also went back to the original post, scrolled the pictures to the bottom of the page to maybe allow more room for the picture window, but it still loads and cuts the off at the top.

And I've attempted to decrease the page size as well. Nope, doesn't work. Makes everything smaller, but still loads with top of the pictures cut off.

Windows 7 in Google Chrome if it helps.
            Bob, I have tested this out in every browser I can and cant replicate the problem. See attached for IE, Chrome, and Firefox. No cropping on any of them. Does this happen on all threads?

Josh

Comment

Working...
            X