Need some ideas for removing small bush stumps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some ideas for removing small bush stumps

I had a couple nasty bushes in my yard, and cut them down last fall. Each was a cluster of small "shoots" about index finger in thickness, that I cut off close to the ground with a sawzall. So one area has a slight mounded area measuring maybe 3 feet in diameter with a couple dozen of these small stumps coming out of the ground. The other is smaller in area and has thicker stumps. I'm calling them stumps, but they are simply what's left after I hacked down the bushes.

Anyway, I ended up nailing one last week with my mower, so I want to level those mounds. I've been nailing them with roundup because small shoots were starting to come up. I dumped about a gallon of gasoline on them and the burned hot but the wood didn't really ignite much at all.

Any inexpensive suggestions? I'd hate to have to rent a sump grinder, and don't really care for dumping chemicals there because I'll eventually want grass there. Someone suggested lighting a small pile of charcoal on top and let it smolder.

Thanks.

Backhoe works well,

burning them out most likely will not work unless there dead, dead, even on the stumps I have burnt out, I usually pile up branches and crap 3 to 4 foot up so there is a bed of coals that will work on the stump for a few day or two, if there still green there very hard to get to burn out,

if there was more on top one might be able to pull them out with a chain,

start in on one side and start to cut the roots with a sharp bar/tile spade and keep working it until it is out,

take a old blade on the saws all and wash out the dirt and cut the stubs down even or below ground level,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Thanks. I had also thought of blasting away the soil with my pressure washer to expose the root ball, and then hack it out with a sawzall and hatchet. I'm ordering 10 yards of topsoil for filling low spots in my yard, so I will have plenty on hand to fill these holes.

There is no green any more, so I think the bushes are dead dead.

Comment

Don't assume they are dead just because they appear to be. The pressure washer will make a mess but if it gets you down to the roots, it's worth the effort. I would use a chain or heavy rope attached to car or truck to rip them out so there is no chance they will grow back, especially since you are going to the trouble and expense of topsoil! Good luck.

Comment

Probably a guy with a bobcat / loader and dump truck is the best bet to dig them out as once you hack them out you still have do dispose of the root balls. If you don't have a pickup or trailer they probably won't fit in your car trunk to the dump.

Looking online there are some sites that say to use kerosine or diesel fuel to burn them out instead of gas.

When I went with a buddy of mine to look at renting a stump grinder for his house, the rental place said to wait for one year to let the stump dry out and make it easier. And watching our city they seem to wait at least that long if not longer before they come out and grind the remains of trees they cut down.

Comment

Originally posted by JoePolvino View Post
            I had a couple nasty bushes in my yard, and cut them down last fall. Each was a cluster of small "shoots" about index finger in thickness, that I cut off close to the ground with a sawzall. So one area has a slight mounded area measuring maybe 3 feet in diameter with a couple dozen of these small stumps coming out of the ground. The other is smaller in area and has thicker stumps. I'm calling them stumps, but they are simply what's left after I hacked down the bushes.

Anyway, I ended up nailing one last week with my mower, so I want to level those mounds. I've been nailing them with roundup because small shoots were starting to come up. I dumped about a gallon of gasoline on them and the burned hot but the wood didn't really ignite much at all.

Any inexpensive suggestions? I'd hate to have to rent a sump grinder, and don't really care for dumping chemicals there because I'll eventually want grass there. Someone suggested lighting a small pile of charcoal on top and let it smolder.

Thanks.
            I see you do not wish to rent a stump grinder,but have you called a stump grinder Pro ? If not,might be worth doing so.

Comment

Got any middle east neighbors who can give you directions on making expandable solutions outa basic domestic chemicals. Heat just makes the life cycle start over.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleanmen2 View Post
                Got any middle east neighbors who can give you directions on making expandable solutions outa basic domestic chemicals. Heat just makes the life cycle start over.
                I hate to think what you might be implying with that reply...

In any case, I'm going to try to remove the root ball(s) on the smaller bush first. My town has free brush drop-off at the DPW.

Comment

You don't mention what type of plant, nor anything about the roots themselves like how many, spreaders or deep running, is there a tap root, etc. All these bits of information might help us to help you.

Got an old steel wheel rim. Wrap a chain down around the root ball, lift the chain straight up, then lay it over the wheel and run it overtones your pick up hitch and give it a pull. The wheel will redirect the side pull to an upward lift which will work much better than w/o the wheel.

You can buy one of those brush grubbers at tractor supply for about $50. The harder you pull the tighter they grab.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...3B?cm_vc=IOPDP
                  Last edited by Bob D.; 08-26-2014, 05:37 PM.
                  "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Update: I used the pressure washer with a 0 degree tip and blasted a lot of soil away from the root systems. One bush consists of about 7 hard stumps, some about the size of my wrist. The other is a collection of about 50 woody shoots, each about the size of my index finger. The good news is this effort has exposed more that I realized was there, and neither has a traditional root ball. The plan is to do another blasting session, and then go at it with my sawzall and a long blade. The mess it makes spraying mud is not an issue, because a couple rains washes the grass pretty well.

Comment

Working...
                    X