Ridgid survey

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid survey

This morning in my E-mail I received a survey from TTI/Ridgid/Ryobi.
    They are researching a "glue gun" and asking design questions to determine consumer usage/needs.

Too bad none of those presenting the survey can read! -OR- they can could simply
    stop by here and read the myriad of tool suggestions, tool problems, registration problems..etc.

At least they are asking real users instead of new inexperienced college grads with a business degree
    that have no clue about the real world of tools!

Cactus Man

Maybe you could send them the link to this Forum? Does seem silly to send out such a survey when they could just read the power tool thread, or ask the question there. A glue gun? How about the dozen or so 18 volt tools we have been asking for, so we don't have to buy another brand? Sorry but after hoping Ridgid would offer a brushless tool free Jobmax, only to see them unveil a corded version I've all but given up! They just don't want to expand the line and sell what we need.

Comment

Is it an cordless glue gun.

Seriously, a glue gun is a handy tool to have laying around, and I say laying around because I have used my glue gun on average about once a year in the 20+ years I have owned it. It is a very nice Craftsman glue gun and when I bought it I bought a big box of 100 four inch long glue sticks. To give you an idea of how much use it gets I still have just over a half box of glue sticks left. I am sure there are people who can practically build a house using nothing but a glue gun but I'm just saying its not a tool I turn to very often. When I do use it its the best tool for the job but I am usually looking for a more permanent solution when attaching or connecting two pieces of material.

A glue gun makes a perfect stocking stuffer at Christmas time or a good gift from your kid on Fathers Day, other than that I have no use for one, even if it was cordless and came with a lifetime supply of glue sticks.
      Last edited by Bob D.; 02-27-2016, 06:14 AM.
      "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

----

1/20/2017 - The Beginning of a new Error

Comment

• NHMaster3015
        NHMaster3015 commented
        Editing a comment
        My son and I build custom guitars so we often use a glue gun for temporary template fastening. I don't see a lot of need for a cordless one though. Just one more dead battery in the shop.

When tradesmen, diyrs, and homeowners go to home depot looking for power tools they may soon be able to buy the highly requested Ridgid glue gun. Ridgid must have been told do not make competitive tools, in order to drive upl sales for Ryobi and Milwaukee. Very disappointing, and insulting to all us Ridgid owners who invested in the brand/platform. Ridgid is doing for 18volt power tools what the movie The Producers did for Broadway Musicals, get folks to invest, then produce a flop no one will buy. What are they thinking? Anyone?

Comment

Maybe they can turn this thread into a sticky.

Rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

• Frankiarmz
          Frankiarmz commented
          Editing a comment
          Rick, what will that accomplish? Do you think they are being prevented from offering cordless tools similar to Ryobi and Mi!waukee on purpose? I understand you are a busy, productive tradesman, but it is wasteful for most of use to buy into another battery platform. If TTI makes high end Milwaukee and lower end Ryobi both with a wide range of offerings, what is the downside of doing the same with the Ridgid line?

• Bob D.
          Bob D. commented
          Editing a comment
          No pun intended right Rick.

NHM, I know they have a valid use and reason to exist. I'm just saying they're not high on my list of tools and there is little to go wrong with them (at least the one I own) so they last a long time.

Just to bring this thread full circle here is a tear down and review of the Ryobi cordless glue gun.

----

Comment

• cactusman
          cactusman commented
          Editing a comment
          A good and intense review..but maybe the bad humor, puns, and swearing could be cut back a bit!

Now, all we need to do is send TTI a spray can of Ridgid orange paint and thus release a Ridgid 18v
          glue gun...,Or maybe go to Home Depot and color match a gallon of Behr paint!

This would be better than double stick tape.

Cactus Man

• Frankiarmz
          Frankiarmz commented
          Editing a comment
          Seventeen minutes of my life, I'll never get back! If I had the Ryobi platform, I wouldn't mind them offering this gadget because they already offer such a wide range of tools, BUT!!! When your consumers have been requesting mainstream tools that the other brands do, you have to wonder who is steering the ship? GirlScouts? The senior citizens arts and craft circle? Yes, I own and use a hot glue gun, but come on!

I guess either my old lady's glue gun is a pos or the glue she uses is, seems like I'm always having re glue her stuff with PL, gorilla or epoxy. So I'm not impressed and I'm sort of curious what you would use a glue gun for. BigJim suggested using it rather the double sided tape for wood projects, so I'm gathering it really is semi permanent. Thoughts?

Comment

• Frankiarmz
          Frankiarmz commented
          Editing a comment
          It has its place with light duty repairs. Can't think of any just now

Wow! This started around February 2016.....and not a peep from
        Ridgid regarding their intention of offering an 18V glue gun! [close to two years!]

But during 2017 they sure have offered a whole bunch of new drills and impact drivers and radios etc...

As a homeowner/DIY'er I have just about every 18V tool even obsolete ones Ridgid tools
        have presented. I actually use 80% of them and the other 20% are very specialty type tools
        such as their dual blade cutter and 18V planer....

Maybe we should see if Ridgid/TTI can fabricate an adopter so you can use Ridgid batteries
        in Ryobi tools...Think about the possibilities! And yes I then can have the 18V glue gun.

Then the only challenge would be how to get rid of that ugly lime green color and paint it
        orange?

Cactus Man

Comment

This thread gave me a good idea for a Christmas Present.

We exchange $10.00 gifts and a cheap Glue Gun will fit the bill.

Comment

Except it will probably ring in at slightly more than $10, but I'm OK with that as I break that rule all the time. Wife's family gets together every Christmas Eve and everyone brings a couple small gifts. The limit used to be $5 years ago but inflation drive the up to $10 a couple years back. During the year I watch for good deals on various tolls that I think would make good $10 gifts, and as I said I go over that limit at times.

I look to get useful items like a nice tool bag or a decent quality tape measure(Stanley or Lufkin). Once I happened upon a 5 piece set of basic electrical tools from Klein which included their tried and true linesmans pliers, a pair of nice screwdrivers both slotted and phillips, wire strippers, and a non-contact voltage tester. The set was on sale for $19 at HD which is a steal I think as the pliers alone would go for that normally.

But yeah, I might stretch it to include the Ryobi glue gun IF I knew the person receiving it already had Ryobi 18V batteries and a charger.

----

Comment

• fixitright
              fixitright commented
              Editing a comment
              I was thinking more of a cheap off brand.

How often do you really use the things?

• BadgerDave
              BadgerDave commented
              Editing a comment
              Agree with fixitright, I think I paid around $7 years ago for my glue gun. I doubt if I've used it more than a dozen and a half times in all those years. Of course as always YRMV but I don't do enough artsy craftsy stuff to warrant anything more than my $7 glue gun. For me and probably most people an 18V glue gun is just a waste of money.

I hear Ridgid is coming out with another kit

Comment

What's the kit Frank? A $19 glue gun with 12 glue sticks, an $89 battery and a $40 charger for $169 ?

----

Comment

Ha,ha! No, it's a upgraded dril, circular saw, sawsall, blah, blah.....in all fairness to Ridgid, you guys asking them to compete with the likes of Milwaukee, Makita, etc, is like a math competition between Gilligan, and the guy from Good Will Hunting! Its just abusive leave Ridgid alone and let them do what they do best. Wow, a 18 volt glue gun, what's next, a 18 volt duct tape dispenser?

Comment

• Mightyservant
                  Mightyservant commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Your killing me Frankie lmao!

18V shave cream warmer/dispenser. :-)

----

Comment

• Frankiarmz
                  Frankiarmz commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ryobi has it

• Bob D.
                  Bob D. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah, they even have a cordless stick vac now that uses their 18V batteries.

Cordless kitchen knife sharpener?

----

Comment

• Frankiarmz
                  Frankiarmz commented
                  Editing a comment
                  18 volt blender

• Bob D.
                  Bob D. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  hand held mixer would be good too. use the 2.0AH battery.
              Working...
              X