Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Automatic shutdowns for natural gas and domestic water supply.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatic shutdowns for natural gas and domestic water supply.

Im thinking while I've got my kitchen walls opened up for renovation and among the upgrades I'm thinking about is making provisions to install detectors to activate solenoid valves to shut the gas and or water supply in the event of an emergency. More than once I've left the stove real low and unlit but the house is so leaky it saved me. And I've inadvertently over flowed the kitchen sink to a couple of times onto hardwood floor which isn't too good either. I'm think of adding new wired smoke/co detectors either way and I'm kicking around the idea of using an addressable panel that I could add NG detectors and H20 detectors to and add solenoid valves at their sources to automatically shut things down in an event. There are some stand alone products out there that do some but not all of those things and some wirelessly, but I'm reluctant to have several systems and I'm interested in having one box that controls all. Does anybody anybody out there have anything like this?
    Last edited by Mightyservant; 04-20-2017, 10:16 PM.

You must have won the lottery or something Mighty. Just for a case of starting an argument/healthy discussion the idea of CO detectors is rather contentious. We have been watching as best we can what others o/s have been doing. I believe parts of Canada have legislated them compulsory. Down here we havent gone there yet because they are not a total fail-safe. No one knows what level in tyhe room CO will present at and when. Climate also has a major impact on behavior. Must admit I was once saved by the smoke detector I had installed near the old indoor central heater. Not sure whether the detector had CO incorporated but it sure as hell went off when i fired off heater at the start of winter. Also down here we have a couple of "Entrepreneurs" praying on the elderly making questionable claims.
    As far as everything else will be keen to see your updates as to what you actually do. Always open to new ideas if they are worthwhile and not obscenely exy too.

Comment

It's expensive, I was quoted $1500 just for the panel, $100 per device and this was by a friend in the business. The valves would be common 120 vac off the shelf valves. I'm planning on leaving spare electrical conduits in the event I do install it. Working for fire protection business gave me a chance to see these systems work first hand. Fire protection systems here have to recertify at least every 5 years and insurers institute additional testing driven by the hazard, their risk and rates charged to the customer which could mean quarterly, semi-annual, yearly etc. The systems are tested, results recorded and reports submitted to the owner and insurer. Critical frailures are fixed right away. I like the commercial products because of reliability issues, I very recently bought a smoke/co detector from a big box store which went off for no apparent reason early one morning which I silenced and reset. A couple of weeks later the same event, for no reason and this time I threw it in a drawer and figured I'll need to return it. It went off in the drawer as well a couple of days later. It's a decent brand although a different model of what I had before but none of this is very reassuring and your are quite right these devices are not fool proof even the commercial products though they have much greater reliability and replacements parts are straightforward. There are commercially available wireless system for under $800 that will shut the NG supply, upon detecting NG or CO it'll close a main valve with detectors located in a kitchen, furnace room, water heater enclosure etc. Similar devices for H20 with detector at the kitchen sink, laundry etc. Just curious really if anyone out there has installed similar systems.

Comment

Working...
      X