Quiet air compressor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quiet air compressor

With neighbors on three sides I try to keep the noise down especially on weekends particularly Sunday's. While my old compressor has given me over 2 decades of trouble free service, it is a loud and obnoxious machine that's worked reliably otherwise. I stumbled onto a manufacturer of several quiet air compressors, naturally they are not cheap but for some, a quiet compressor may be of interest.

You are a very thoughtful person!

Comment

• Mightyservant
      Mightyservant commented
      Editing a comment
      It's so quiet around here I don't want to be the village idiot. Growing up, the neighborhood was like something outta NYPD. Loud music, noisy exhausts, sirens.

Some of the small rigs they offer aren't too bad cost wise they can be stowed under a workbench and probably a little more pleasant than a standard rig.

a few years ago (2012) I bought a Senco compressor PC1131, a oil lubricated unit, for a small high speed compressor, with some good capacity, this is the quietest portable compressor I have ever owned, yes one can hear it but it will not run you out of the building, If I am out side of the building it is hardly noticeable, and it reasonably easy to move, it sure was a welcome sound reduction over the old oil less compressor that I had before it, by no means is it as quiet as the dual diaphragm unit.
    Noise Level As far as sound, the Senco PC1131 is rated at 77 decibels and is actually one of the quieter pumps out there. With the amount of airflow it provides, you'll be hard pressed to find a quieter air compressor.
    https://www.air-compressor-reviews.n...pc1131-review/

Last edited by BHD; 11-14-2017, 09:20 AM.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

• Mightyservant
      Mightyservant commented
      Editing a comment
      Being an older compressor, it might be why my Makita compressor is so noisy. By now, ways to improve performance and reduce noise have been implemented industry wide

When I saw this YouTube I thought it' was a neat trick and if my compressor wears out this brand will be at the top of the list. After many hours of hard use my compressor is not showing any signs of giving up. I've used it for hours with a needle gun and I was thinking this would be the year but it's still going.

Unbeknownst to me they build them here in town but they have some chicom parts.
      Last edited by Mightyservant; 11-14-2017, 11:51 AM.

I have a little 2-gal Craftsman that I bought about 10 or 12 years ago. It is quiet enough I can run it with only a 25-ft hose and not have to wear earmuffs. It is a lubricated cast iron cylinder. However, I have another Craftsman, 33-gallon oil-less, that will blow your ears out. I have to put in industrial foam ear plugs and then wear my ear muffs on top of that and still can't stand to be in the room. That I keep here in the basement and with all the door closed, you can stand in the neighbors back yard and still hear it. It's about 15 years old now, performs really well, but I can't wait to buy an I-R lubricated cast iron unit to replace it.

BTW, I live here in the city and basically I try to be as quiet as I can. I generally refrain from doing anything noisy on Sundays and we're forbidden by local law to make any loud noise after 8:00 PM. I live next to a Dr.'s office and try not to be an annoyance there either. I especially won't mow my lawn during his normal Mon-Thurs office hours. One tries to be at least considerate where you can. Loud machinery can just be a painful annoyance to neighbors and worse, if you're not considerate, then others in the neighborhood can think it's alright and before you know it, the whole neighborhood becomes just one big annoying clash of noise.

CWS

Comment

• Mightyservant
      Mightyservant commented
      Editing a comment
      10-4, I save painting or assembly work for Sunday's and make a cut only if I really have to. However if someone pouring concrete or making a racket on a Sunday, I might break out a lawnmower.

I just went with a 40volt Ryobi mower and it just hums. Between all the 40 volt gardening tools I have, I've got 6 batteries and now a 5ah 40 volt one too.

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

• Mightyservant
      Mightyservant commented
      Editing a comment
      Truthfully my lawns had it, between the nematodes, parkway tree roots and drought, it looks like hammered dog poo. I do have a small patch that's doing ok tho. This is a far cry from my old house where I had 3000sf of an emerald green pacific sod marathon ll and could work on my short game.

The city is going to all electric gear and I'm starting to see some of the lawn cutting services going to electric trimmers. If the drought lifts, I'll replant and might give a Ryobi a look.

I am so glad that my neighbors are over a mile away, seldom do I hear them, or they me, regardless of the day
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

• Mightyservant
      Mightyservant commented
      Editing a comment
      I've got a buddy in west Texas that farms two sections and we can hunt small game right on his property without disturbing the neighbors. Out here you have the police at your doorstep in minutes and have to drive a couple hours over to the desert near Ocotillo Wells to do any shooting, lord help you tho if you break down out there, ain't nobody around to come get you and there is no cell signal.

• BHD
      BHD commented
      Editing a comment
      actually there is a fairly good cell service in our area for the population, or lack there of.

my SIl and DD shoot clay birds from time to time, no problem hunting, (if you can convince the land owner to let you hunt), the problem is many of the hunters, seem to only have the IQ of room temperature, they let their dogs chase the cattle, shoot what they're not supposed to (things like horses, and cows). if you're interested in hunting coyotes there are plenty around, checking fence the other day I saw three running, in the pasture, In the middle of the day,
      five deer hanging out on the land as well,

• Mightyservant
      Mightyservant commented
      Editing a comment
      If I'm up that way I will get in touch, friends in the past have hunted elk near CS. Same friends just gave me about 30 pounds of deer and pig that they harvested while out in Coleman TX. With family coming in from Tennessee, I stayed home to be a grandpa.

Even out there you need to conciuous of what's beyond your line of sight 7mm goes a long way and there is plenty of grazing livestock, ranchers fixing gates or what have you.
      Last edited by Mightyservant; 11-16-2017, 11:09 AM.

Makita Big Bore MC2400 is the quietest among a bostich pancake, and a 1.5 gallon craftsman in my collection.. Puts out a good volume of air but not too loud.

Comment

• Mightyservant
      Mightyservant commented
      Editing a comment
      The mc2400 had me for a while there and I am happy with the brand but even though California brand looks kinda cheap the quiet performance has me hooked, I like quiet.

I was looking at some of the California Air compressors, they look good and priced right, and quiet. 60db, that is quiet.
    I found some that claimed to be quiet that are 78, and they are probably a lot quieter than some of the competition.
    I have an old CH oil less that you can't hear yourself think when it's running, gotta be 90db or more.
    I'm tempted by the California ones but I would like to have a higher working air pressure available.

This looks pretty good for a small portable, two-stage 68db. On at 135psi and off at 180psi.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Estwing-...OMP/303135730?

Lot more money though, shopping is hard.

Comment

• Mightyservant
      Mightyservant commented
      Editing a comment
      California has several other configurations that are smaller and also quiet, don't know about the price. Toolguyd is a great place for tool reviews.

• Tacman7
      Tacman7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea, they get bigger and have different tank sizes and more horsepower and they get louder (from 60 to 68) and they cost a LOT more. But they stay with the 120 or 125 psi max.

• Mightyservant
      Mightyservant commented
      Editing a comment
      Actually on HD they have a 1 gallon for $125 but your right they go up into the throusands from there.

I bought the one horse version with aluminum tank for $135. It's the same pump but smaller tank as some of the more expensive ones.
    I thought it would be nice to have 150psi to work with but I don't do that much any more so didn't get the Estwing, looks good though.
    It will be nice to have something not so noisy to fill tires and use around the shop.

Comment

• Mightyservant
      Mightyservant commented
      Editing a comment
      Cool, let us know how you like it. If its really that quiet you could tie it into a couple of auxiliary tanks for more volume. 95% of the time I think the 1 gallon would be fine for me. I do occasionally use a needle gun to remove paint which really needs a lot of air and it's then when my compressor drives me nuts because it's usually all day for 2 or 3 days.
Working...
X