Wood treatments and there usefulness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood treatments and there usefulness

So I'm replacing a threshold and while I was searching for the clear version of copper green wood preservative I came across several other products. One is called Pentacryl another is Wood Juice and the other I always see at the local big box is Minwax wood hardener. I'd like to know if any of the forum members have used these products with any success.

The goal for me is to preserve the wood as long as possible by inhibiting mold growth and making the wood unattractive to termites.

all I have used recently is the green copper based treatment on wood posts where I have to cut them, and did use the stuff on the floor boards of the stock trailer, been a few years on the trailer and lumber is still in good shape,
    this is what I used, https://www.homedepot.com/p/Wolman-1...iABEgI8ivD_BwE
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

• Mightyservant
      Mightyservant commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you BHD, I use that as well, comes in green, brown, and a water based version that's clear. I use several coats of copper green on redwood fence posts and exterior structural wood. The odor is pretty intense as you know.

I use borates for wood thats used indoors and occasionaly use a water based green colored wood treatment which is also has a pretty intense odor but the smell fades after a months.

For the threshold I want to use a clear treatment that will still allow me to apply a wood stain and a clear finish.

Pentacryl is a good product. It is a curing acrylic in a solvent base. It soaks into the top layer of the wood and once it soaks in, the acrylic cures and locks out moisture. The key is is to sand the wood with a low grit paper, to open the pores as much as possible to let the material soak in good, the deeper the better. The problem with it is using the (i.e. 60) grit paper sometimes doesn't give the best final look to the wood finish. I think it was designed for outdoor use on decks, etc. where the true grain finish is not as critical to look at.

Comment

• Mightyservant
      Mightyservant commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you nkrental, it's only a threshold so it does have to finish like furniture. I just want to look decent and reduce decay.

I was sort of curious in what situation members might have used these products and if they're worth it., thanks again

I used it in the stock trailer floor, the ends keep rotting out of the lumber, on corner posts, when I need to saw or drill, to set the brace, I treat the cut or bare wood,

when I put new lumber in the squeeze chute, (cattle working chute), on that I put a lot of coats on the lumber, it stunk for months, but hopefully it will not rot out fast, would use creosote on this things but the great EPA say it is bad, and can not be used by the end user, but I can buy posts factory treated with it,

the rusty one is very similar to where I started, my wood was in worst shape, the new head gate is a real help, apparently I never took a finished picture, may take one of what I ended up with, still need to work some more on the alley fences, but getting there,

Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

• Mightyservant
      Mightyservant commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, it stunk up the place for several months using copper green, other than that the stuffs seems to work great.

I picked up a gallon of a water based "copper green like" coating I used for some framing around the roof for a couple of skylights. It's stunk for about 2 months and I don't notice it now, course I might have inadvertently ruined my sense of smell.

Seems like my dad had a 5 gallon bucket of creosote when I was a kid, I remember him coating the buried ends of fence posts with it.
Working...
X