Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Take a Lifetime to get Warranty Work done?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Take a Lifetime to get Warranty Work done?

I will confer with my wife about the specifics on getting the warranty work done, but I think I sent in two tools and several batteries, and have no idea what is going on after a year. If the warranty on a battery expires while Ridgid has them for work, will they not do the work? Shouldn't the batteries be returned as soon as it is determined they are out of warranty? Why has it been this long and I have no idea what is going on with my tools and batteries. If you can help on Ridgid's end, My name is Adam Wright and my wife is Jennifer Wright, out of Bogalusa Louisiana. I have $800 worth of batteries on my shelf that are dead, and several more tools, and wonder of the warranty is legitimate at this point. I wonder if it is worth the postage to send them in if they get put on a shelf until the warranty expires, and then I am told they wont do anything. Or I never get the tools back.

The problem with the LSA is that folks don't do the required work up front to get your gear registered. Less than 30% of eligible customers take the time to register the tools in order to fully take advantage of it and when a tool breaks down they are unable to get the repairs done as expected. Other customers have trouble registering but the bottom line is that your tools must be registered, there is no other option or your eating the repair.

Having said that batteries do need replacing after a couple of years of use for all brands, that's not unusual. If you get registered with Ridgid you'd have those batteries replaced at no cost. Otherwise your like the rest of us, buying batteries, however, I'm ok with it.
    Would you buy Ridgid power tools based on their Lifetime Service Agreement policy?

Comment

• Bob D.
      Bob D. commented
      Editing a comment
      You have some data that supports your 30% figure?
      Or did you just pull that out of the air.

To my way of thinking is this day and age there is no reason that your purchase with a debit or credit card made at an authorized RIDGID seller should not be registered immediately for both the basic 3 year AND the lifetime service agreement electronically with no additional action required on your part.

If you are making the purchase with a gift card or cash or some other type transaction then maybe you will have to do an additional step but it should be easy-peazy, no-muss no -fuss.

Other companies have figured out to do online registrations in one session with no need to mail any paperwork in. IF RIDGID can't figure that out I have to think maybe it's because they don't want to because then everyone would have the LSA and they would have to support them all which would take a bite out of profits.

I say extend the basic warranty to 5 years for EVERYONE and do away with the LSA.

• Sneeze357
      Sneeze357 commented
      Editing a comment
      There is plenty of reason for the LSA not to be automatic. They are hoping a large percentage of people don't bother. That's how they can offer such a system. There is no possible way they can afford to offer a free lifetime warranty with every tool they sell. There is a reason they refer to it as a "service agreement" and not a warranty. I don't know where the 30% number comes from, probably made up, but a lot of people simply forget or are too lazy. It is the American way. It also prevents second hand owners and thieves from getting service under the LSA. "Lifetime" refers to the lifetime of the original purchaser, not everybody else who might own the tool for the rest of eternity. Without registration there would be no way to know who the original purchaser was, and after a while they would never sell anymore new tools.

Look at the Craftsman model - for years they replaced every hand tool no questions asked. Didn't matter if you found it/inherited it/stole it/whatever. See how that worked out for Sears? They went out of business.

As for the 5 year warranty...I'm pretty sure the automatic 3 year they already offer is as good as anybody else in the industry, and I think quite fair. They are not going to get rid of the LSA, that is their gimmick to get you to buy their tools. That is the only reason many people choose the very limited Ridgid brand over others - even when they fail to register for it.

About the warranty. I have 11 ridged tools. They are all registered for the so called lifetime warranty . My finish nailer is sitting in a shop now for two weeks . Then im told the parts are on back order.will take another 3 to 4 weeks to get. Also , they really don't know what causing the problem. So if this part that they want to replace doesn't work. They will order something else and try that. Won't replace they finish nailer unless it's been sitting in the shop for at least 90 days. Very poor customers service. I called ridgid directly. And after pleading my case on how long this process is. They hung up on me. Will never buy ridgid again.

Comment

If anyone else has run into this issue . And have any advice about how I can move this process along let me know.

Comment

If you have the mindset when the tool or battery fails you buy another instead of hoping to get one from warranty you will feel much better. Don't expect a warranty, its a waste of time and energy in my opinion.

My advice buy Milwaukee power tools. I buy new stuff and used tools, used batteries from 6 years ago and they work great. My sawzall is over 20 years old, the used angle drill I bought is from the early 80's.

Comment

I will definitely be looking for a different brand of tool.

Comment

Is the problem with Ridgid or with the particular service center that you picked?

For a short while, I had an "authorized" Ridgid center just a few miles away from where I lived. When I discovered them, my first thought was that I'm glad that they're so close, but why in he!! would Ridgid have an authorized service center out in the middle of nowhere. So I went looking for them to repair a Ridgid drill I had. Down a back country old river road, seven miles south of this little village where I lived. Passed them twice, before I found them... a tiny little shed, about 8 x 12 ft, setting up on the bank above the road. The guy had a little sign on the side of it that said small motor repair, and there on the shed door was an "Authorized Ridgid Service" sign. I asked how in the world did he get to be a Ridgid service center, and he replied that Ridgid had called him.

He took my drill, repaired it and his wife returned it to me two weeks later (she was on a shopping trip to the city). Guy did a good job and I was happy. Several months later I found he wasn't doing Ridgid work anymore. I called and asked why.... "Takes too long to get parts and even longer to get paid." That was the same reply that I got from a previous (though much larger) service center located up in Oneonta, NY.

I would have hoped that Ridgid/TTI/Ryobi would have worked out their service center problems after all these years.

CWS

Comment

The service center guy was great. It's rigid that you can't deal with.

Comment

Originally posted by happy_hipster View Post
                but I think I sent in two tools and several batteries, and have no idea what is going on after a year.
                I smell BS.

Where did you "send in" these tools? This is not an option with Ridgid, I have specifically asked them this because there are no service centers or Home Depots anywhere near me. The only way to get service on a Ridgid tool is to take it into an authorized service center, or take it into a Home Depot, where they will "send it in" on your behalf. It is not possible for you to send them in yourself. This option simply doesn't exist.

If you really did wait that long, obviously somebody, either you or them, screwed up. Your information probably got lost somewhere, or you didn't get a message or something that said it was time to pick up your tools. How about calling the service center where you dropped them off and ask what is up? They had to have given you a receipt or something.

I had an impact wrench repaired via the Home Depot route. Took it into the tool section, they gave me a receipt, sent it off to who knows where, and 6 weeks later I got a call that told me to come and pick up my tool. It was repaired as expected.

As for the batteries, there is no need what so ever to take them or send them anywhere. Ridgid has a special 800 number for chargers and batteries. If either break, you call the number, give them your information, and a new battery shows up in the mail about a week later. You don't have to return your old battery at all. In fact they won't accept them at Home Depot, they direct you to the phone number.

But...it sounds as if your wife did all this for you and you didn't even bother to ask her about it. You don't seem to even know what you "sent in".

I find it comical how many people blame Ridgid for their own incompetence.
                Last edited by Sneeze357; 04-08-2018, 12:35 PM.

Comment

• CWSmith
                  CWSmith commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sneeze,

I have to differ with you on your "It is not possible for you to send them in yourself. This option simply doesn't exist.". Except for the short time that the previously described authorized service was within a few miles of me, I "sent my tool in". You simply have to call the particular authorized service center to confirm what you need and then you send them via UPS or whatever. At that time the 'nearest' was about a hundred miles away I wasn't about to drive that distance, so I sent them in. Two weeks later I got the tool returned via UPS deliver.

I think the gentleman (Happy Hipster) may be faulted for not being in contact with whoever they sent it to, to confirm that they have it and what is the delay in turnaround. If you value you tool (or whatever you might send to any service center), you simply don't blindly send it somewhere and not follow up. I recall sometime in my past sending a product to an address for warranty repair and after a couple of weeks called them to inquire. (It wasn't Ridgid.) I remember the guy had to do some searching, as he didn't know what I was talking about. Finally he confirmed that he had it, and told me it was good that I called, as they had no ID on it.... if I hadn't called it would have been resold as they had no address and their contract stated that anything left there over 90 days would be resold. One has to be careful.

CWS

I have had my finish nailer sitting in a shop since April 6th. They are waiting for ridgid to send them parts. Is this normal for ridgid. So much for the big hype about there great lifetime warranty . They don't even have parts on hand. Very poor customer service. If your tool stops working. Just go buy another and not a ridgid.

Comment

I think Ridgid has some real problems when it comes to product support. It appears that they do not adequately stock parts and no consideration is given to the number of particular tools they have sold in any particular region. I've worked doing parts catalogs for various companies. In the best cases, a company tracks its sales and service and has a handle on what products they have sold and what parts are the most commonly replaced. They then ensure that such parts are regionally stocked, so as to minimize down time for the customer, and also for their service personnel. It is essential to a good business reputation and customer satisfaction. Ridgid (actually TTI) needs to learn this and make some quick corrections before their reputation drifts lower than it already is!

CWS

Comment

I have agree with CWS, you see the thing the thing is for me is after viewing many posts you get a good feel for the pro's and con's of the power tool line and it's become apparent that Ridgid power tools seems to be poorly managed perhaps even intentionally. I see the lack of spare parts and weak customer support first hand and it sort of makes me wonder what's in it for Ridgid. Getting spare parts for threaders, wrenches, cutters etc. is not to difficult. Quality tools and customer support made them the gold standard in plumbing and pipe fitting tools and I would think that they would expect the same high standards continue to be held under the licensing agreement.

When I need a pipe wrench I go buy Ridgid. No need to look further, same for chain tongs, same for wheel cutters, same for threaders. There is no need to worry about parts and schematics it's all there. To be fair many of the classic Ridgid tools are made of steel or thick aluminum and not a whole lot ever wears out.

If Ridgid power tools were of equal quality and support to the top 3 or 4 power tool brands, moreover if they offered a bigger tool lineup and kept some tools as "classics" with very minor changes it would help build trust in the power tools and if that were to happen I would think everything would take care of itself.

Comment

My home Depot had a large milwaukee sale going on 2 days ago. Not only did they have 3 Milwaukee reps on hand, they had a regional TTI manager there too.

I had an issue with a new hammer drill and was told to bring it in by a newer rep. The rep told me on Sunday and to come on Tuesday during the big sale as he said other more experienced reps would be there. He said that they would send it in if need be.

So I show up with my spottless tool and a rep said they don't send it in, I have too. After discussing the problem and the fact just 2 days earlier I was told to bring it in, he reached into a brand new display and swapped it out.

I was happy and even bought another new drill. The 18 volt fuel mud mixer. More than enough torque to mix cement and variable speed trigger with 5 ranges 0-500 rpm. So much torque that I can't even rotate the Chuck / motor by hand.

Spoke to the TTI rep who said that this HD is #1 in sales except for Hawaii. Also asked what about the smaller shelf space for Ridgid. He said that is changing. Expect more new stuff.

But when you have Milwaukee, Ryobi and Ridgid all sitting side by side, Ridgid looks like the single child.

Haven't tested out the mud mixer, but it should be a great motor for my 1.25" cables if I ever use the drill on them.

The k5208 should be out this summer I think. Just sent it back a few days ago from a month of testing.

Rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

• Mightyservant
                        Mightyservant commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Come to think of it, the Millwaukee reps seem to camp out at HD.

That's how it works, when I occasionally crack an aluminum Ridgid pipe wrench, I take it back (HD) and they give me a new one. It keeps me coming back to the brand and is always my first choice in piping tools.

Sear's use to have a lifetime warranty on the Diehard work boots (soles), guys would wear them out and they'd go get new ones and would pick up Carharts and work shirts while they were there.

I had a 10 year North Face parka that had a inner liner start coming apart. I sent it in and the sent me back a check for $150.

Rayban still might send you a new pair of (glass) sunglasses if you have a problem with them, they use to and they replaced a couple pairs of mine.

Take care of your customers and they will take care of you. You don't always have to make money on every customer in order to be profitable.
                      Last edited by Mightyservant; 05-10-2018, 10:40 PM.

Comment

I had a problem with my hammer drill and when tried to get warranty work done (and YES, it was all registered properly...) but you cannot return it to Home Depot for warranty you have to ship it to a service center where they will determine if it is covered or hand deliver it, which in my case is about 1.5 hours driving time away. I live in a city of 100k+ population, there are potential service centers here but maybe they have heard what it is like to deal with Ridgid. They determined it is warranty work and over a month later they are still "waiting for parts which are back ordered", gee, where have I heard that before?? If you are only requiring light duty tools for occasional work and can go without them for months at a time while the warranty work is being done and all this after registering your product online and then having to send all original documents registered mail to get the warranty then, sure I would recommend Ridgid.

Comment

Working...
                        X