Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miter saw!?

Hello
    I want to buy a miter saw. There's a lot of them available with a huge range of prices. So, I don't need the greatest one ever made but I also don't want cheap garbage. I want a saw that will preform for a long time without breaking the bank. are there any good brands you recommend?

What is your price point/budget?
    The amount of money you will invest in a tool will delineate it's quality and ability.
    What are you planning to use it for?....This is a subjective question but it will also
    help determine what type miter saw you will purchase.

Will this be your first power tool? What do you plan to use it for?

The miter saw comes in many flavors fro 7 1/2" to 12", sliding to non sliding, laser or no laser,
    and many other specifications too many to list.

My opinion is buy the best you can afford and never buy a used one from Craig's list
    or e-bay..there is a reason it's listed there! More times than not older miter saws, say 5 years or more
    will not have any repair/replacement parts available...so stay away...

Yes even some of the brand new name brand miter saws have issues getting replacement parts..but at least you have some
    sort of warranty coverage for a year or longer.

Ridgid corded miter saws do have an advantage with the LSA program..."lifetime service agreement"
    But you must be motivated to properly register the tool.

At the other end of the spectrum you can buy a 10" or 12" single or dual bevel miter saw "cheap"
    relatively speaking...If you are a project or two type user that can be just fine.

They way you asked your question is totally non specific except for "not breaking the bank"!!!!

I'll ask you a question....."I do not want to spend a lot of money on a new car what do you suggest
    I don't need a race car"?

Cactus Man

Comment

What are your needs? Will you be doing small moldings, or big mitre joints, and crowns? Is portability a concern? If not, I suggest you go big, and buy once , 12 inch sliding!

Comment

I bought a 12" dewalt (just a chop type saw) many moons ago, and have been very satisfied with it, no problems with alignment, or other problems with it, cut 98% of the lumber to build a house with it, (my DD could not handle a skil saw, so we set up a table and cut the lumber with the chop saw, and have used it a number of remodeling jobs, and still a good saw,
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

• johncameron
          johncameron commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree. DeWalt is quality without breaking the bank.

Ryobi, not ridgid
        ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

I'm using RIDGID 15 Amp 12 and totally satisfied with it. For my needs, it is more than acceptable.
          https://gradesfixer.com/free-essay-examples/social-media/
          Click image for larger version

Name:	ridgid-miter-saws-r4221-64_1000.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	736442

Comment

• johncameron
            johncameron commented
            Editing a comment
            Very good saw, but if you don't need to chop wide lumber one can save a lot of money by not getting the slide feature.
            If I need to cut wide boards I just cut half way and then flip it over to complete the cut.

• Bob D.
            Bob D. commented
            Editing a comment
            A 10" slider will cut almost as wide as a 12", it's less expensive, and the blades are cheaper plus it's lighter to drag around if that's an issue.

Need to answer for yourself a couple questions first like Frank asked.

What will your primary use be.
            What is the maximum capacity you see yourself needing.
            Is portability an issue.
            And a new question to add to the list now is do you need/want a battery powered saw or corded, but I guess that can kinda tie in with the portable or stationary use question.

Know this, ALL miter saws suck (as in not so good) at dust collection. There are a couple that are better than others but you will be stretching your wallet for one. For most if you can hook up a small cheap vac in place of the dust bag you will grab most of the sawdust. When I use my miter saw away from the shop where I have it hooked up to the shop dust collection system I use one of those bucket head vacs from HD with a 5 gallon bucket and a auto switch that turns the vac on when I start the saw. I sue this same setup on my Kreg Foreman most of the time but take it on the road when needed with the miter saw. A 5 gallon bucket of sawdust is a lot of cuts on a miter saw. Those pesky dust bags are only good for a couple cuts then you need to empty them.

Agree with others that the DeWalt saws are good performers. I've had my DW708 for over 10 years now. It does not get used every day but it does see use at least once a week. Because of its size and weight I didn't take it out of the shop much, and now I never do as I bought a DeWalt 7-1/4" cordless slider about 2 years ago. Between that and my TSC55 cordless track saw I can cut almost anything.
        Working...
        X