Horrible Warranty Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horrible Warranty Experience

I must say that I dismiss many of the complaints regarding Ridgid's Customer Service and Warranty problems. Trying to get this new K-50 repaired has been a nightmare. They make it so difficult it just isn?t worth it.

On Friday I called customer service when I discovered the rear clutch sleeve was defective. They were very little help and said to call back on Monday and push #1 this time. So, when I called back this morning and pressed one it turned out to be the wrong extension. I called back and choose #4 this time which was the right extension.

The person who answered the phone tried to diagnose the problem by asking what size cable I was using? I told them it was the only size sectional cable that works in a K-50, 5/8. They then transferred me to "Tech Service". I told tech service I was holding the rear clutch cone sleeve in my hand and the male end of the cable stopped a 1/2" short of sliding through the sleeve and the female end stopped just short of clearing the sleeve. I explained I did not want to drive 100 miles to a service center and asked it they could just ship the part. He told me no and told me to call the seller (ToolUp.com) and see what they could do or take it to a service center listed on their site.

I called ToolUp.com who said they could not do anything and would not take it back for fear of bio-hazards. I knew they could not, but I was following what I was told. I then went to Ridgid's website to find services center. The closest one for drain cleaners was eReplacementparts.com LLC at 154 miles. So while biteing my tongue, I called them up and went through the steps. All these calls take forever because they are all under staffed and transfer you from one department to another all with wait times. This one was the shortest as he told me almost immediately that they only service SeeSnake.

My next call was to Diamond Elec Inc, a mere 162 miles away. This too took a long time, but he was the most helpful. He agreed I could fix it myself rather than shipping that boat anchor to him to replace a part that weighed under a pound. However, Matt at Ridge Tools told him no as he didn't want to get stuck with the shipping costs. So after spending the better part of a day dealing with stupid people (but I always stayed polite), I gave up and ordered the part online. The part costs $72.88 and the shipping was another $5.50. I'm glad Matt didn't get stuck with the shipping costs of $5.50 after my purchase from ToolUp.com of $1,885.02 with accessories for this defective K-50. Shame on you Ridgid!

Mark
    Last edited by ToUtahNow; 07-24-2018, 07:18 AM.
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

deleted
    Last edited by Pro Service; 07-23-2018, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your problems, glad you got the part ordered and it was not obsolete, or no longer available,
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Well, well, well. So it appears that Ridgid quality has slipped up after enjoying years of being king of the hill. They now are unable or unwilling to respond adequately.

When you build quality into a product you need less quality control and testing but that assumes that everyone involved in manufacturing the product is makeing a supreme effort to insure that is what in fact happens.

So either a subcontractor that made the clutch sleeve screwed up royal or Ridgid screwed up making them and somehow someone in assembly accepted a load of clutch sleeves that were not machined correctly. Some poor schlep putting the machine together missed it because he only trained to do a couple things and stoping the line ain't one of them.

The phrase "High priced chit" comes to mind. That is a label that is sometimes given to the brothers in town when a customer is paying a premium and getting a job that looks or performs liked hammered dogchit.

These things tend to be self correcting when customers start looking elsewhere to buy comparable products at comparable prices that actually perform just like the brochure says.
        Last edited by Mightyservant; 07-23-2018, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Mark, sorry for your disappointing experience, but I applaud you for posting you criticism! Things like build quality, and customer service are key to building, and maintaing a good reputation. I hope the folks in charge at Ridgid make a better effort going forward. Frank B.

Comment

It's a shame since for less than the price you paid you could have gotten 3 sdt k50's with 24 sections of 5/8 cables 3 baskets, 3 5/16 drums, and 3 good (if not a tad short) rear guide hoses, 3 cable keys, and 3 sets of 8 bits. And before you scoff my knock off has been running great in an overcrowded service van for 3 years. The basket did only last 1 year, but that's the only thing worn out.

Ridgid should be ashamed that they can't hold on to a simple warranty on a factory defect and send you a simple part.

Comment

• Plumber Punky
              Plumber Punky commented
              Editing a comment
              the same k-50 with no repairs for 50 years? that would be something but i hardly think that's the case.

• AssTyme
              AssTyme commented
              Editing a comment
              No, he said 45 years

• Plumber Punky
              Plumber Punky commented
              Editing a comment
              i seem to recall it said 50 before the editing... still...even 45 years with no repairs? besides, ONE major Ridgid repair usually pays for a brand new SDT unit.

Check your email. Knowing the right contact person should help. I'm sure he's already expecting your call as he reads the forum every morning.

Rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

• ToUtahNow
              ToUtahNow commented
              Editing a comment
              I read your email and like my reply said, after wasting most of the day screwing with it I just ordered and paid for the repair part myself. I wan't looking for favors, I was looking for what was right.

Hi Mark, I am sorry about all of this. It shouldn't have happened to you or anyone. This matter was raised with the service team as a what not to do training session. Our head of service sent you a note. That is not a favor, it is trying to help a loyal customer remain so. I've also asked that we look into your product issue from an operations perspective. It doesn't appear to be systemic but we have it flagged. Now, on a personal note, I remember that baseball game and debate fondly. I hope overall you've been well since then. Again, sorry for your trouble and thanks for being a friend of RIDGID all these years. -Wyatt

Comment

• PLUMBER RICK
              PLUMBER RICK commented
              Editing a comment
              I remember the bigger debate as we were introduced to everyone and then immediately proceeded to the soda pop refreshments.

Soon after Steve and Josh who were our lead contacts were asked by the higher ups if we were actually plumbers since none of us went for the beer.

Yes, fond memories and some still question us being plumbers.
              How about I get the gang together for a little reunion. You know for good old times. I won't even go to the dessert cart this time.
              Yes, being a fly on the wall 10 years later we still survived.

Thanks Wyatt.

Rick.

Wyatt, its nice to see a response from someone at Ridgid. Many of us Ridgid cordless owners continue to wonder why the line has not been expanded, similar to Ryobi, Milwaukee, or many other manufacturers? I was forced to buy into Milwaukee's M18 Fuel line in order to purchase lawn tools such as a line trimmer, blower, and very soon, hedge trimmer, and brush less 16inch chainsaw. I would have preferred to stick with Ridgid. I understand if you are not allowed to respond, however, this lack of similar tools must be costing Ridgid quite a bit of money in lost sales. Thank you, Frank B.

Comment

• Plumber Punky
              Plumber Punky commented
              Editing a comment
              i expect this comment will get passed to the appropriate department where it will be quietly ignored.

Plumber Punky, I suspect you are right, and I'm confident so am I. Consumers can get low quality, and selection with Ryobi, high quality, and selection with Milwaukee, and middle of the road quality with Ridgid, and very poor selection. There has got to be a reason Ridgid does not compete?

Comment

Hey ProBrand...All I want to know is how many people were fired for this? If it isn't "systemic" then that means that someone, or multiple people, didn't follow the system. And should be fired because of it.

And no, that overbloated, PC, HR machine is wrong in thinking they should be "retrained". You fire them and the person that originally trained them in front of everyone that is doing things correctly and you're headed towards solving the problem.

I know, I know, it won't happen.

*I personally have had very good service experiences with the "professional" Ridge Tools side in the past for the record.

Comment

• ProBrand
                ProBrand commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi Frankiarmz, First, I am glad to see you are still active. I remember back when I was managing the power tools many notes and comments from you about where we should expand. I was happy to finally get out the jobsite radio! You make good points about the line. We have everything you mentioned on the radar but to this point, as you've noticed and I am sorry you couldn't stick with RIDGID on some items given no availability, we have not ventured into those lines yet. I appreciate your posts as always.

• ProBrand
                ProBrand commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi BobsPlumbing, I am glad your experiences have been good. We are looking into what happened. If it was an honest mistake we won't fire anyone. If it was a recurring problem or malicious we would take other action. What I don't like is that our issue compounded into the experience Mark described. It spurred a lot of discussion in the halls and an action plan to keep it from happening again. I appreciate your frustration and comments. Thanks to you as well for the long tenure.

• SlimTim
                SlimTim commented
                Editing a comment
                Sun Tzu would be nodding in agreement

Seriously?

The purpose of this email is to keep you up to date with the status of your order from eReplacementParts.com.

The statuses of your items are listed below.

1 x 61580 Rear Clutch Cone Sleeve - On Order

We are waiting for the parts on order to arrive from the manufacturer. We apologize that it is taking longer than expected. We expect to see them with in 5-9 business days.

3 weeks and counting.

Mark

Comment

• PLUMBER RICK
                PLUMBER RICK commented
                Editing a comment
                Hate to say it, but exactly why I sent you the proper contact person at Ridge who could have grabbed one from stock and had it shipped to you literally overnight.

Going through a parts supplier who actually doesn't stock the part is a waste of time.

I'm sure Ridgid produces dozens if not more K50's on a daily basis. Parts are available to make these machines daily. All it takes is a call to the right person to make it happen.

E-replacements is not the direction I would have gone.

Sorry, but I tried to help with a contact person who tried to reach out to you the next business day.

Rick

• Bob D.
                Bob D. commented
                Editing a comment
                Mark, the ship from China with your part is probably held up in some port waiting to see if additional tariffs will be put on the good coming into the USA.
                Just like we have thousands of tons of soybeans rotting in the hulls of cargo ships off the coast of China waiting to be let in once they figure out the tariff situation.

• PLUMBER RICK
                PLUMBER RICK commented
                Editing a comment
                Bob, I rather doubt they're imported from China. The machines are made in Virginia.

In fact I just looked on Amazon and 3 different sellers show the part. Pretty much identical cost as it includes free shipping on the 1 vendor showing 2 in stock from Florida.

While it's true Ridgid initially dropped the ball on it, they did reach out to him the next day after reading about it on the forum. Mark declined as he had already ordered it on his own from e-rplacements. Of course they didn't stock it and who knows how long they take to order it, receive it and ship it back out.

When I need specialty parts, I first look on Amazon as they tend to show real stock.

Just yesterday Tuesday, I received 2 different shipments of hansgrohe thermostatic cartridges that I ordered on Saturday night. Trying to get my go to supply house to place a special order and receive them would take a minimum of 2 weeks. Amazon had them to me in 2 business days and most likely for less cost than a special order plus shipping since they don't meet the minimum stock order.

Yes, the supply house can't stock everything. But with the internet, it honestly takes a couple minutes now to find what you're looking for and complete a purchase. No on hold waiting for stock checks and availability.

Most of my customers supply their own
                fixtures. I don't mind and recommend it anyways. Even dispoals they can get for a similar price.

Rick.

ProBrand, glad to see someone from Ridgid is reading our comments. Regarding my "straying" from Ridgid, offer the tools, and accessories I want, and I'll continue to purchase Ridgid. I am very happy with all my Ridgid products, unfortunately there is not enough variety. Please get busy making what cordless tool buyers want. Thank you.

Comment

The new part I purchased arrived Friday.

Comment

Long story..... but informative

Comment

Working...
                  X