Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you turn off the Bluetooth transmitter on a battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you turn off the Bluetooth transmitter on a battery?

Hi,
    Just gt a brushless Circular saw with battery and charger and was registering it when I noticed that it said Bluetooth on it. So I measured it with my RF meter and sure enough ever second this sends of a fairly strong blast 0.7 Volts/Meter.

How do I turn this off?

why does a battery need bluetooth any way, how does that improve the battery,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Don't know... but I don't 'get it' either!

What purpose does a blue tooth signal do for a battery? Is it FCC certified, do you have to download an app for you phone to check the battery level, locate it, or what?

IMO, way too much RF pollution for silly reasons.

CWS

Comment

You have to download an application to get the "full benefit" of what I'm not really sure. I get that everybody behind an application wants to get there hands on your profile since it's a potential revenue generator. I feel that much of the blue tooth stuff is a bunch of baloney, no thanks.

The are trying to sell customers on the ability to track tools, identify tools, track usage, track maintenance, purchase dates, invoice numbers, access user manuals and safety information, videos. Further they say that requesting a repair and maintenance on a tool will be more conveiniant which I suppose can be done from a smart phone. You'll be able to see how much has been spent on repairs and so forth. Great information that's going back to the mother ship which sounds good but somehow seems a bit underhanded since the customer is streaming back performance data under real world conditions.

Wouldn't it be nice if they just kept it simple and spare us the nonsense?

Comment

RANT

Yes, it would be nice (keeping it simple and sparing us the nonsense)!

It does appear to be the age of 'big brother' though, and NOT from the sense that 'big brother' is the socially-feared government though... it the 'corporations' that are doing it!

While I used to have the reputation of being a tech person, I can't begin to keep up with the technology, and yet I'm amazed at how the average citizen has been so sucked into the age of the smart phone and home electronics like the Echo Dot, Siri, etc., etc.. Devices that keep us in 24/7 contact and that we can voice query at every whim. Yet little does anyone seem to care that these devices can just as easily watch, listen, and track your every mood and location.

Here we are in a time when gun rights and background checks are major sensitivities to many, but having your cell phone, home security, or convenience media doesn't seem to bother many, and that is a real curiosity to me. Media channels like Facebook and Snap chat are extremely popular and no one seems to mind have all the aspects of their lives on display to the world either. Like I said, I just don't don't get it.

I have a cell phone, cost me about $100 a year, and it is "off" 99% of the time. I use it only when I have to; good for emergencies, or when I want to check the weather, local news, or a map location... then it's turned off again; hopefully it's turned off, but is it?? Thing of it is, I think I'm just not that important to world, nobody cares what I'm doing or where I'm at or what I might want to say. The way I look at it, I survived the first sixty-five years of my life "unconnected". As a kid, I used to wander the woods, hike the hills, and pretty much saunter around the miles and miles of my homeland. I'd tell my Mom or Dad and off I'd go into the dead of winter, sometimes not returning until dark. As a teen, I'd walk and hitchhike my way to see my girlfriend, who lived twelve miles away, two or three times a week, 52 weeks out of the year. I knew what to do and what not to do and how to take care of myself summer or winter; and later when I worked, I worked... nobody was going to pay me to take phone calls.

Today, almost everyone seems electronically tethered. I see two people walking down the street or riding in their cars, and most of the time at least one of them are on their phone... What, you don't like the person you're with? People in line at the store, or in the aisle and their on the phone... you asking permission to buy that item or is it that you think someone is really that interested in the package of toilet paper you're buying? We're really in a very strange word these days!

There's a new book that is just out, "The Age of Surveillance Capitalism: The Fight for a Human Future at the New Frontier of Power" by Shoshana Zuboff. My copy hasn't arrived yet, but from the reviews it is quite interesting and in these times, a bit scary. Perhaps it will describe why putting a BlueTooth in a battery is important to some.

CWS

Comment

That sounds like an interesting read. A few days ago I came onto an article that claims 90 percent of stored data has been gathered in the last 2 years. Things are changing rapidly and I'm resisting the sirens song of applications, Facebook and all the rest of it. Unfortunately it seems you don't to be directly connected, just within the orbit of others that are for your data to be mined.

I know a guy that's a computer engineer who recently retired and he said part of his reason for retiring was that he grew exhausted of the onslaught of technological changes. He'd no sooner get something mastered when it became obsolete and having to start over and learn the next latest and greatest thing.

All the changes in technology used to be more interesting to me but in a way we've opened Pandora's box and with all the money to made there is going to be a lot resistance to close the floodgates. I'm sure governments will claim that in the interest of commerce the status quo must remain with additional "safeguards" to citizens. But even I can appreciate the elegance of never having to leave your office to keep an eye on miscreants. One country is planning on scoring its citizens on there behavior and if you don't have a high enough score you may not be allowed to travel by rail or plane in addition to other reduced privileges. I admit I'm one that's resists doing what I'm told but I'm hardly a threat to public safety.https://www.forbes.com/sites/bernard.../#582cb6d960ba

Comment

Well Mightyservant, consider this: I will be 75 this coming July. In my lifetime alone, technology has changed beyond anyone's imagination, just look at an old high-tech sci-fi movie, like last night's TCM run of "Fantastic Voyage"... for all of that sci-fi tech they were showing, they were still using analog dial instruments and in one scene where the General in charge was figuring how much oxygen the miniaturized crew had left, he pulled out a slide-rule to help his math! That movie was 1966, four years after I graduated high school and the world was still using slide rules!

When I was in second grade, they taught us how to write cursive in ink, using a nib and a bottle of ink. Well into high school, we were still using fountain pens and I don't recall ball points until maybe my Junior or Senior year (1962), IIRC. In my junior year, I took a typing class. It wasn't anything to do with my major, but I just wanted to learn, thinking it might come in handy someday. Little was I to know that "someday" would come along in my lifetime when "key boarding" was an essential part of almost everything.

My brand-new 65' VW didn't have electronic anything (except perhaps the transisters in the AM-only radio) , nor did most of my later cars. Now, you can't buy one without electronic almost everything, including steering and brakes on many. In 1965 I was a data maintenance clerk working on the latest mainframe at the time, an IBM 1401 system. It and it's peripheral equipment, I wouldn't be able to get into the first floor of my house, and it was less than 12K of core memory, required a separate card reader (1402) and a printer (1403N1) which was a high-speed "chain printer" that required an hydraulic operated hood to dampen the noise. There was no such thing as a tube display or a keyboard input device.

When we moved to Painted Post (near Corning, NY) in 1973, you couldn't call Elmira (about 15 miles away) without long-distance charges. Our office didn't get it's first Xerox machine until almost 1976, and about that time, an engineer friend of mine bought the first electronic calculator that anyone in our division had. It could do the basics: add, subtract, multiply and divide; simple arithmetic operations, but no algebraic, and it costs him more than $200, IIRC. As I recall, our office phones were finally being converted from the old dial system to push-button.

In 1979, I bought an Atari 800 desktop computer for our ten yr old son. The Apple II was out only a year or so, and all that either of them had was 8K of memory, which could be expanded to about 48K (I think the Apple II could go 64K, but it was expensive). A floppy drive measured about 5" inches and the first one's held about 80 K of storage. When IBM introduced their PC in the early 80's it came with two 5", 320K floppy drives, 512 K bytes of internal memory, and no hard drive! (You needed on floppy disk to boot the computer operating system.) About that time, we added a 300 baud acoustic modem to our Atari and our son brought it down to the kitchen where the old dial, wall phone could have it's handset snugly placed on the modem and connected to the internet, where he ordered his first stereo from Illinois Audio. (That took a long-distance paid call.) The "web" had not been established yet, and the only connectivity was through either Dow Jones or the Readers' Digest owned "Prodigy" network. A few years later, I joined AOL and it still was using a system called "Geos", as the web was still not established, and Network Navigator, and Microsoft Explorer had not been invented yet. BTW, AOL had less than 100,000 members at that time!

In 1980, was still writing parts catalogs on a form and having them keypunched in the data center where it took literally months to produce a parts catalog. Then one day I spotted my son, doing his paper route customers on the Atari... what a revelation, that was. I contacted a friend who worked in our computer room and had him set up the "bills of material" so that I could eletronically transfer them to my Atari and within just two days, I produced a Parts Catalog, without any keypunch help at all. I added a modem to our dept's photo typesetter and with just a phone call (and a 300 baud slow transfer) we set type for printing. Those months were cut to three days with no trips to the big city. (Got me called on the carpet though by the Systems Dept!) Likewise, I was writing instruction manuals on a yellow pad, having the office clerk type them up double-space, corrections, more typing, and then, after engineering review taking them to a typesetter 75 miles away to have them set into type galleys, later to be pasted up, photographed and then sent to a printer for publishing.

In 1984 I had a contract with Corning, Inc (Corning Glass), to write documentation for its fiber optic production methods. I bought a Hyperion portable to do that. Although they had a computer center, I was the very first writer to actually write using a PC. All the other writers were either typing or handing in their documents long-hand, where they were keyed into the system by the transcribing department.

At Ingersoll-Rand, where I returned in 1985, they didn't have any PC's yet and were doing all their word processing on a Wang central system. In 86 or 87, I was one of the first to receive one of a dozen or so PC's that I talked them into buying. I was the only one with any experience there, and working with others set up the standards, I also set up the training, and started conducted classes for both my Division and the new Corporate offices. None of this made the Systems dept. very happy. In 1989 I did my first technical illustrations on the PC and in 1991 attempted to establish digital publications using a program by WordPerfect called Envoy. The boss didn't like that at all! At that point, I moved to Marketing where I designed a digital database and could report an order history for any configuration of our products for any specific application... and could report it back to any world-wide location withing 20 minutes. By 2000, I was designing, illustrating, writing, and printing our sales documents internally, as well as transmitting them via the internet. Like wise, we were doing much of photography digitally.

Today we have camera's everywhere, we carry our own personal surveillance and tracking devises around with us, both in the form of cell phones and smart watches. We joyfully add little boxes and tubes and even door bells to our homes? All connected to the internet and all hackable. We happily post our every move to places like Facebook and SnapChat and we don't think a thing about it!

Fact is we live in a marvelous and almost magical world of electronics, not even imaginable thirty years ago? But at what price?

CWS
              Last edited by CWSmith; 02-04-2019, 08:18 PM. Reason: Confirmed some dates and fixed punctuation errors which occurred from 'Word' transfer.

Comment

• BHD
                BHD commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you,
            Working...
            X