Ryobi VS Ridgid --or--Ridgid VS Ryobi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ryobi VS Ridgid --or--Ridgid VS Ryobi

I believe we have had this discussion quite a while ago.

I look at the Ryobi line of tools and then the Ridgid line of tools.

Without getting into a pissing contest as to which brand has more tools.....
    or I like orange better than lime green...

I look at somewhat similar tools..such as the Ryobi and Ridgid 18v 1/4 sheet sander.

They have a price difference of $40.00

OK The Ridgid unit is unique as it is a three speed model and has brushless a motor.
    The Ryobi is a brushed motor and single speed.

Both are made by TTI!!!!!!

Home Depot inventory favors Ryobi ....10 units to Ridgid's 3 units.

So has anyone done a real comparison between the two?
    I'm interested in the innards..plastic VS metal....Bushings VS bearings....
    Quality internals VS each other ...you get the idea....

Ryobi seems to always be available at Home Depot while the Ridgid line is
    always lean! Both are Home Depot licensed brands?

Does Home Depot have a better mark up with Ryobi than with Ridgid?

There always seems to be a love hate relationship between these two
    different yet similar brands!

OK Open the flood gates for comments!

Cactus Man

theres a guy on youtube his channel is AVE
    he takes tools apart and shows you how they are made and provides alot of knowledgeable commentary. he has some ryobi vids and a 1 or 2 ridgid

goto youtube and search AVE Ryobi and they will come up

i have much respect for this AVE guy and i've learned some stuff from him.
    HEY! What does this button do?

Comment

I've been using Ryobi-made tools a lot longer than Ridgid, but of course that is only natural as the Ridgid brand of hand-held power tools didn't debut until the fall of 2003. My first Ryobi-made tool was a Craftsman VS 3/8 drill which I purchased in 1968, IIRC; in the following months I added a belt sander, 7" circular saw, a sabre saw, and my first router... all are still in great working order and I've never had a single failure, in spite of poor storage, banging around, etc.

In 2003, I purchased a Ryobi ROS, a 3/8 VS drill, and several table top tools, and in late 2003, my first Ridgid-brand orange tools like the finish sander and ROS. All of these purchases were corded tools!

In 2005, I purchased my first cordless Ridgid tools... their LSA was the primary reason and to date they have all worked quite well. I just replaced couple of 14.4- and 18-Volt NiCads a couple of months ago under the LSA. First time doing that and it was effortless.

Build quality? Well, I think the build on the Ridgid is better, but that is what that extra expense is all about I guess. That said, I've had to fix a out-of-line chuck and have service done on my ROS; and with the latter, one of the repairs was just considered a "wear part" and I was charged with that. My Ryobi ROS is noisier and doesn't feel as well built, but it has never needed repair. Likewise is the case with most of my other Ryobi tools... they just keep on going, no matter what!

Lousy designs? Yep, sure enough. I've got a Ryobi 3-base router set that I love and because of poor material in the motor housing that swells (grows in diameter, it won't fit a couple of those bases and therefore the are worthless to me. I did file a warranty claim and they send me a replacement motor housing, but it was so out of tolerance (it too was too large in diameter) it wouldn't fit in the base! BUT, that's really the only bad experience I've had with Ryobi.

Ridgid on the other hand makes me wonder sometime. I also have a Ridgid 2-base router. I like it, but the plunge base isn't nearly as ergonomic as the Ryobi, with a rather long thumb-reach for the lock/release lever. Ridgid/TTI also decided to use "titanium" for the housing, rather than an aluminum allow. It shows surface oxidation and every time I get it out to use, I have to clean it and then wax it to keep the motor housing from dragging. Titanium might have been a nice marketing idea, but I really don't see the practicality of it! Similarly, when they first introduced the router, it came with some nice features, but no real accessories. Fortunately it has some compatibility with Porter-Cable and so I ended up buying a P-C edge guide, guide bushings, etc. A couple of years later they came out with their own version of guide bushings, but those were titanium-coated steel... steel? who uses "steel" for router guide bushings??? The kit also contained some base plates, a bit over-sized and you had to drill your own mounting holes, but at least they gave you a template. Oh, and the bushing guide area... it was too small and I had to do some work to get the busings to fit.

Then there were those first 12-Volt LiIon tools; sort of a joke. Batteries were worthless, and right from the start the cordless JobMax wouldn't run for more than a couple of minutes. Likewise, the miniature-like 3/8 drill was more like a pug-nose toy. Still got it, but it barely functions on those same 12-Volt LiIon batteries. Now take the little Ryobi 4-Volt drill by comparison, and it is a terrific little too. I keep it in my electrical bag where it serves well to drill a hole and also drive any necessary screws. I love that little tool. I have three other of those Ryobi 4-Volt tools and they all work well.

BUT, that whole line got dropped after just a few years so Ryobi is disappointing in that respect. Ryobi seems to feel that it need to introduce a new line or model or color ever few years and in so doing they drop far too many tools in my opinion. I think twice before I buy anything Ryobi any more, just for that reason!

So while Ryobi seems to always be introducing something new, Ridgid seems to me, to be questioning whether or not it wants to be in the tool business... at least under the "Ridgid" brand. Not sure if that's TTI's view, or if they are being restricted by their exclusive deal with Home Depot. Just seems like Home Depot is strangling the hell out of the brand, and like you mention, "Ridgid" seems to be the bastard child that Home Depot more seems to hide than promote.

Personally, in recent years I try to avoid Home Depot as much as possible. Their whole merchandising scheme seems restricted, everything from out-of-stock, orange aprons that seem to no nothing...ever, to the fact that the entire front line is self-checkout. I like people that I can converse with, and Home Depot seems to prefer automation. That combined with poor displays or no displays, no stationary tools from Ridgid and for the most part just poor presentation or restricted presentation of the Ridgid brand in both HD's that I visit.

Bottom line, is that I think Ridgid is built better, but there is more variety in the Ryobi line... and for that, I can see why Ryobi might well be a better seller.

CWS
      Last edited by CWSmith; 07-14-2019, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X