Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you see changing in our daily lives after this pandemic is over?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you see changing in our daily lives after this pandemic is over?

I've been thinking about things that might change after this is all over. Some things we do are changed for the short term to comply with social distancing and other restrictions but There are others that I think will change. Here's a couple, have you thought of any?

1. The use of paper money and coins will dwindle to next to nothing in 5 to 10 years. People will get more comfortable with using tap and pay or their card to make purchases. So the use of hard currency will disappear. It is already but this is going to accelerate it. No more handling paper money that the WHO says can support virus for a couple days. Reduced weight in pocket or purse because no coins or cash.

2. Online shopping will grow even faster now and home delivery of items like groceries will take off too. You don't have to go in a store and be exposed to other potentially sick people, don't have to wait in checkout lines, don't have to deal with the weather like rain and snow when you come out and load up your vehicle. Lot's of plusses.

3. Voting will move to mail-in absentee type ballots for everyone. I heard a rumor that this was being considered for this year's election, but I don't think they have time to implement it. Still, it's another way to avoid crowds and passing the bug from one to another (or many). Who's gonna sanitize the voting booth after every voter? Will they give us gloves to wear in place of sanitizing?

4. New hospitals will be built with a whole floor or large percentage of their rooms with a separate HVAC system that can use bio scrubbers to filter out anything in the air. During normal times they would operate with regular filters, but when the extra capacity is needed to deal with a surge of patients like the current pandemic, they can switch over to emergency mode and run with the bio filters in line. Systems like this are already used in many places, so it's nothing new. I'm just saying they will implement it on a larger scale in new construction and possibly retrofit some recently built hospitals.

5. Counties and States will all be directed by FEMA to update their emergency plans with lessons learned from this current pandemic. Emergency drills will now include a wide-spread bio threat either natural or man-made as the drill scenario once out of every 3 or 4 years.

6. Stockpiles of reserve supplies will be increased at both the national and state level.

I've got a couple more but I'd like to hear what you might have observed or thought of.
    "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1p...qcZKHyrqKhikFA

----

Those were some very thoughtful projections. I think some people may have been frightened into being more self sufficient, and may prepare to hoard more. I know a lot of folks will gets guns, and lots of ammo. While folks may be more health conscious, in the near term there will be lots of hugging and kissing! Personally, after spending many weeks laying in a hospital bed unable to eat, unsure of my future,this has been great. I'm safe, and comfortable in my home surrounded by loved ones, ii have plenty to eat, internet, and cable.

​​​​​​ This whole thing,and how it will change our future is a matter of perspective. I do hope we consider making more of our medicines, and goods vital to our survival here in America. People who have known truly difficult times see this as a minor inconvenience, I'm with them.

​​

Comment

People who will in the future live by the Chicken Little theory will be the big losers in my opinion. We as a people need the interaction with other people to retain our sanity and mutual respect for one and other. To basically lock ourselves behind closed doors and live our lives isolated from the outside world can only lead to mistrust, paranoia and other much worse scenarios. In the past, WWI, WW2, Cold War, etc, many thought and feared that the end was near. It didn't happen! This current situation too will end and our lives will again go back to being normal again.

Sadly some of the points Bob mentioned will probably happen. I just hope that not to many of them become the norm. I hope I never live to see the day that I can't shake someones hand, give my grand kids a hug, or, worst of all, have to order my life over the phone/computer and have it delivered to my front door.
      I'VE DECIDED I'M NOT OLD, I'M 45 -- PLUS SHIPPING AND HANDLING.

Comment

Agree Dave, I'm not in favor of many of the changes that may come. A few are inevitable, like paper hard currency going away. That will happen some day. I just think this may make it happen a little sooner. I don't want to lose the interaction with everyone from my community either. Unfortunately the only way we have to fight the spread of this is to hunker down in our foxholes (homes) and avoid contact for the near future. To do otherwise might put those friends we want to interact with at risk.

----

Comment

• BadgerDave
          BadgerDave commented
          Editing a comment
          Totally agree, for the time being staying home is the smartest choice. Our governor just announced that tomorrow he will sign an order that will close all nonessential businesses. Grocery stores, hospitals, pharmacies and other certain business that are deemed essential will be allowed to remain open. As I understand it, all other businesses will have to close. A very large and hard pill to swallow for a large portion of the population but unfortunately deemed necessary for the ongoing fight against coronavirus.

Right now, we're staying home and plan to for the these next two weeks... then we shall see! When I say "staying home", I don't mean we're locking ourselves behind closed doors, as I still converse with neighbors (at a distance), and we still keep in phone contact with others; and, we still go outside.

Frankly, my immediate concern is what is going on with my retirement fund. We've lost about 25% of that in just a few weeks. While I don't need the money it bothers me as to whether or not we'll recover it. Basically it's a heritage fund, so the situation there is more mental than anything. My adviser tells me to just ignore it and leave it alone, but seeing everybody else selling off makes me wonder.

On the home front we've got everything we need for a few weeks at least. I've always lived with the idea that 'reserve' and 'back-up' are pretty good priorities, even when things appear to be good.

The future? Well I pretty much agree with what has been said here. Frankly, I hate the thought that so many among us feel the necessity of stocking up on weapons. I guess fear is an overwhelming factor for many. Likewise, the hoarding that has been going on over the last few weeks is disturbing, but I've always thought that too many humans are always on the verge of fright and too quickly on the edge of loosing any sense of civility or Christianity. Such times as these demonstrate the difference between those who are selfish and those who are selfless.

I do agree that hard currency will in the future be less used. For us, that has been the case for a few years. I can't remember the last time I paid cash for anything beyond buying a burger. I keep about $40 in my wallet just in case. But, it is always important to maintain some level of cash, should all the social norms tank. Thus far, we have been lucky in that the banking and credit system hasn't failed. I did get notice over the weekend that my bank is adjusting it's walk-in services though.

Shopping on line has been a growing trend with many, including us. Not that it's easier (it is), but because local stores, including Walmart, have less and less of our normal purchases. That trend will increase no doubt.

Voting is do for a change, at present it is quite archaic and too favoring the party in power. My thoughts are that it should be individualized and on a borderless basis. Last week I did our part of the census... how easy was that! They sent us a specific ID and we answered it. Why can't something like that be done with voting?

Regarding hospitals, FEMA, and the rest, I think that will gain focus for awhile; BUT, after the smoke dies down and memories fade (most Americans won't remember much of anything in another year or two), we'll drop whatever 'improvements' we may have made. We can't forget that business is business and that our hospitals and even our emergency services are just that... Business! Business always works as lean as can be and that means that hospitals, as a business (which is part of the problem we see now) will reduce staff, the number of rooms and beds, and all the related equipment over a period of time. And, ten years from now we will be in the same boat!

WE can't forget that somewhere, somehow, some smart college guy will look at the spreadsheet and think "OMG... what waste we have!" History has proven that over and over again; just look at 1945 when we were unquestionably the most power military on the planet... and then in 1951 we were sending ill-trained, poorly equipped, soldiers into Korea. Most were equipped with nothing more than M1 carbines and many were wearing just helmet liners, because the stockpile of steel helmets were sold off as scrap.

That happened after WW1 and WW2 and again after Korea (though our Vietnam involvement dampened that to a large degree). This virus, like our wars will too be summed up by history as "too little, too late". Thankfully we are always able to rally much, much better than we are able to prepare in advance!

CWS

Comment

• Bob D.
          Bob D. commented
          Editing a comment
          "..but seeing everybody else selling off makes me wonder..."

Seeing everyone dumping under these conditions should make you want to BUY if you have the cash to do so. It WILL come back, the only thing lost (if you hang in there) is whatever gains you would have realized during the period you portfolio was in a reduced state. If you had a million and you get back to a million 3 months later then what is lost is the gains on that million for those months, provided you don't panic like everyone else is AND that the market recovers relatively quickly. I bought more shares of what I had that has been paying me the highest dividend for the past 12 years.
          Last edited by Bob D.; 03-24-2020, 03:04 AM.

The health care mergers are part of what got us in the condition we're in now. That's not blaming it's just a fact as CWS said. 'Lean' operations have cut the fat, and fat is anything that does not contribute to the bottom line in a positive way. So when hospitals and clinics starting merging and consolidating they looked at all the bed capacity and other aspects and said "we've got too much of x or y", so away it went. In place of three hospitals located in the three largest municipalities in the county with a combined bed capacity of 1000, three ERs, three of everything more or less because they were all competing or self-supporting facilities operated by local governments, the three became one huge hospital of 700 beds located in the geographic center of the population. Their back up is now the Trauma Center near Philly, where before it used to be one of the two neighboring hospitals. So redundancy and quick response time lost thanks to the consolidation. In NJ we have what's known as 'home rule', which leads to a lot of duplication of services. Every town or city has a fire department and EMS. In the three cities they are paid, the rest are volunteers. In other states these services might be handled at the county level, but not here. Same goes for schools. Every school district has an administrator and he makes bug bucks no matter if he has 100 or 3000 students to care for. This jacks up the local school tax which helps us be one of the top 10 states for property taxes. The list goes on but you get the picture.

----

Comment

• CWSmith
          CWSmith commented
          Editing a comment
          You commentary is right on target. Here in our area we've seen a pretty robust building plan with hospitals over the last few years. But the building has been mostly for things like new offices, exam centers, parking garages etc. When we moved back here twelve or so years ago, to be closer to our son's family, it was nice to see. At that time, he was an HR manager for one of the three hospitals in the area.

What brought him to the area was that the smaller country hospital he had been working closed and that area has been without for a bit more than twelve years now. Doctor's from our area drive up there (about 50 miles) to provide service a couple days a week. Here, our second largest hospital went through a merger with a larger national concern, and as you pointed out "redundancy" was removed, with lots of office and support staff laid off. Our son saw 'the writing on the wall' and he left to go to a major hospital in Syracuse... six months later the same thing happened and he then went to Buffalo, where once again he faced the same problem. He's now in Iowa working in industry.

Four years ago, I was in the hospital for thirteen days. Nice new parking garage, great exam rooms and equipment, and certainly a great staff; but the rooms were terrible w/bathrooms that you could barely squeeze into, especially when hooked to monitoring and IV equipment.

It's all about PROFIT and that makes for planning of norms, not situations like we are currently having.

CWS
      Working...
      X