Old Vise Jaw Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Vise Jaw Replacement

I'd like to start by thanking all the forum members for the time and assistance (and experience) they offer others in the wonderful world of projects, tools, and best practices discussed on this site. I am a new member with one prior post; a member replied within one day and provided the information I was lacking--that was great! I know this new post isn't really plumbing related but I don't know where else to to turn?

Here's the situation: I have a Wilton Model 9350 6"vise (1940's) and the jaws and in bad shape, surface is uneven and pot marked and the screw heads are not visible. They measure 3 1/2" L x 1/2" H, the depth looks to be about 1/2" but it's worn down so original depth info is not known.They should have been replaced long ago but I didn't think parts were available, well someone told me they might be. The online part search started today, I contacted support at a couple tool sites that have Wilton jaws for newer models, gave them my vise info/measurements and am awaiting their replies. Assuming I get parts next step is removing existing jaws, just not sure the best way to do it? Files and my dremel will find screw heads I'm thinking, then drill out screw head for easy-out extractor bit? If anyone has been in my shoes I little guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Last edited by mrguy242; 09-09-2020, 09:09 PM.

Here is an Ebay link to a guy that might be able to help you out.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wilton-Vise...IAAOSw6TxeYCz1

I've ordered a set of jaws from him last year and I am pleased with how quickly they came and even more so at how they are holding up.

Try contacting him with your vise #.

By the pictures you have it appears your vise has aluminum soft jaws now, nice for some work but easily destroyed.

Comment

The screw heads look perfectly visible to me! I see them in the pictures as darker dots towards the top of the jaws. Additionally, the jaw itself has been ground down to form fit the vise.

use the dremel to cut deeper slots into the screw heads, tap with a hammer and use a little heat (not too much), then use an impact screw driver "hit with a hammer style" to bust loose the screws.
      ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Working...
      X