Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

I wanted to wish everyone here a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
    If you celebrate a holiday other than Christmas that's okay and I wish you the best.

This has been a rough year with COVID affecting just about everyone on the planet. I read where the virus has even reached Antarctica now, they have had their first infections just recently, so no where is safe. Well maybe the Moon or Mars. :-)

But on a serious note hopefully with the vaccines now beginning to roll out we can slow the spread of this and get back to somewhere near normal in about 6 to 8 months.

What is 'normal' anymore, I have no idea. but we should each endeavor to make sure that what we lived through in 2020 does not become the new 'normal'. It's up to ALL of us to make that happen. Each doing our small part to make the World a little more civil, a bit friendlier, and a lot safer.

"No wealth or position can long endure, unless built upon truth and justice, therefore, I will engage in no transaction which does not benefit all whom it affects." Napoleon Hill

Less BS, lying, or finger-pointing and more cooperation, integrity, and honesty from all sides (not just here in the USA, but Globally) would go a long way to improving life for everyone, and maybe even helping to ensure that we make it to the end of 2021 without a World War which on top of the pandemic we do not need.

One of the bright spots for me to witness in 2020 has been the remarkable progress that SpaceX has made in developing their rocket program. Elon Musk and his team have done remarkable things and are moving fast toward their goal of landing on Mars in the next few years.

Hear what he says about his reasons for starting SpaceX.
    https://youtu.be/H7Uyfqi_TE8?t=2675

Probably most of you are old enough to remember when space travel was just getting off the ground (literally). The World watched in amazement as we landed on the Moon and all the successes that occurred leading up to those historic Moon landings. When the Shuttle program ended and we (the US) just about halted our space program I was disappointed. Disappointed that we can find trillions of dollars for all the weapons in our arsenals but can't scrape up even a fraction of that to keep the space program moving forward.

That can't be you say, but it is. One F-35 Strike Fighter costs about $85M, NASA's entire budget for a year is only $22B (yeah, I looked it up). One B2 Spirit bomber costs about $2 BILLION or roughly 1/10 of NASA's annual budget.

Budget of NASA - Wikipedia

If they built one less $2B B2 bomber the Fed could fund NASA for a couple months. But they're not building any more B2s so that's out.

NASA budget as a percent of the Federal budget.

We lost about 40 years of development and progress in the space program. Now much of what has been done recently could have never happened 20 or even 10 years ago because the limited computing power and other technological advancements didn't exist (yet) but who knows where we would be now if we hadn't have sat idle more or less for the past 40 years.

"Do not wait; the time will never be "just right." Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools
    you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along."
    Napoleon Hill
    Last edited by Bob D.; 12-27-2020, 06:03 AM.
    "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006
    "?ǝɹɐ sɹǝƃuıɟ ɹnoʎ ǝɹǝɥʍ ʍouʞ noʎ op `ʍɐs ǝlqɐʇ ɐ s,ʇı"

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1p...qcZKHyrqKhikFA

----

Wonderful post Bob !!!

Comment

A Merry Christmas back to you Bob , Frank and the forum ... Up here in the North East it's a soggy one with 3 " of rain predicted and flood warnings .

Comment

• Bob D.
        Bob D. commented
        Editing a comment
        We got nothing but a shade under 2" of rain and some high winds. Glad it wasn't snow and we didn't lose power, but I understand other areas did. I had some yard decorations blown about, my trash cans were across the yard up against the neighbors fence and my firepit cover was ripped off but I needed a new one anyway so not a real loss there. So no real damage for us and except for only a virtual visit with the grandkids it wasn't too bad of a day.

Bit late for Christmas wishes but Happy New Year Bob and all other forum members.

Hopefully there will be more space related developments in the future. I did design some electronics for some of NASA's upcoming programs not too long ago so I believe there is new stuff on the horizon.

Comment

Working...
      X