Future Tool direction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future Tool direction?

I have been thinking about the future conversion from electric to more battery powered tools. I am seeing more of a pull away from the electrical cord to the battery powered. even gasoline powered mowers to battery powered. Please follow me on this and please add your thoughts: 120 or 220 volts can power any tool that it is designed for. Gasoline/diesel can power in powered engine it is designed for. When it comes to Battery it is depended on the manufacturer of battery pack and it's design will drive specific tools. The normal home owner will have these tools around for years 120 volt and petroleum power tools. The professional will go through these tools at a greater rate. Manufacturing of battery pack to specific brands will have greater financial impact to the professional than the home owner but it does affect both. So, there is greater profit for a manufacture to change their design for the future of battery packs. They will make more profit from it instead of producing 120 volt/petroleum base power tools. You would have to come the manufacturer to supply the power source aka battery power versus a wall outlet or engine.

Originally posted by Redneckron View Post
    I have been thinking about the future conversion from electric to more battery powered tools. I am seeing more of a pull away from the electrical cord to the battery powered. ..........
    I think your area may be a little late to the party.

The only time I run a cord is when I have a lot of cuts to make with the angle grinder. Even then I often use my cordless one because it doesn't have a cord to get in the way. Most of the guys I know pretty much only use cordless tools. I keep a corded sawzall and grinder on the van but have cordless versions I use most of the time. Haven't touched my corded sawzall in at least two years.

I haven't seen too many battery powered mowers in my area yet, gas mowers are still dirt cheap and can be much lighter.

As for manufacturer specific batteries, that isn't always true. You can find adapters to use dewalt batteries on makita, or makita batteries on milwaukee, or any other combination really. It's a little more bulky but if you like a specific tool but most of your stuff is another brand it lets you avoid spending another 150$ on batteries and a charger for one tool you might not use often.

Comment

I am not to late to party and do have a Dewalt convertor for 18 to 20v. I do love the portability of battery powered tools. What triggered my deeper thought was this article about GM motors. https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/28/gene...%20operations. The power don't flow when the wind don't blow and the sun don't shine.

Comment

I like where you are going with this ! Only offer battery powered tools , and consumers are forced to buy your batteries .
        regarding the current adapters , when the manufacturers get ready , they will add the necessary electronics to disable any attempt to use a battery converter for another brand !
        ​​​​

Comment

I'm sure that 2035 date will be pushed out. Even if it's not it will be for cars and light duty trucks.
          I don't see the technology being adopted in the next 13 years to get rid of all the 3/4 ton and up trucks.
          big difference in power requirements between driving to work and the store vs hauling a gooseneck with livestock or construction equipment.

Comment

I know there are limitations with battery power and those all revolve heavy loading batteries. I am not an expert by far and there is alot more that know more than I. What point does all the new releases are battery based to include the heavy duty current device? It is happening now!! I can't predict the future but if you look at what the manufactures start marketing and their new products. Then you can get a relative good guess where things are going. Battery power!!

Comment

I'm old fashioned, I like my corded tools. Of course I like cordless and they certainly are convenient; but then again they're not, if they are dead! Of course that get's amplified with me because I'm not in the trades. I'm not using my tools every day. So for me, it's a matter of planning ahead. Let's see, I got a project planned for Saturday, better get my batteries charged today... but what if something just pops up, are my batteries going to be up to it?

The other nasty thing about batteries is that they eventually won't take a charge and a new replaceable battery, if it's still available, will probably cost more than the tool did when you first purchased it. Batteries are also not compatible across the range of tools you might own, often not even in the same brand or tool line. So that means that once the battery fails, the tool is just scrap.

For example, I have a 9.4 Volt Ridgid "Pivot-driver". Those batteries haven't been available for a few years now. (Fortunately I have the Ridgid LSA, so I might get a free battery re-placement there.) But what of Ryobi, or Black and Decker or any of another dozen brands? I've got an old B&D screw driver, worthless unless I rebuild the battery myself, otherwise it's scrap. I have several Ryobi 4-Volt Li-Ion tools. Nice idea I thought, one battery type that easily drives everything from meters to a small screwdriver, even a borescope and an MP3 player. Nice, but they dropped that entire line after only four or five years. Batteries might be available on eBay, but how good would they be, they haven't been manufactured in probably ten years?

On the other hand, I have a 3/8" VS drill that I bought in 1967, cheap ($8) but it still works great. All I have to do is plug it in and it's instantly available for work!

SO, I have a few cordless tools, predominantly Ridgid (because of the free replacement batteries under their LSA), but I try to keep most of my tools as plug-in's and that works well for me.

CWS
              Last edited by CWSmith; 02-05-2021, 07:22 PM. Reason: punctuation

Comment

C.W. I do have a few dewalt battery powered items, a number of batteries and do really like the flexibility of them. My work in progress woodworking hobbiest garage is in the works and always will be a work in progress. All the tools that I am now buying for that hobbiest woodworking garage (The magic word is stationary tools) is 120 volts. I want to do only one purchase when buying these stationary items. I am buying and be very judging on their purchases. I did a lot of research for stationary tools that I want to purchase read alot of reviews, followed up on comments about the likes and dislikes of items that I could be interested in, cost versus what you got, youtube was a great souce of information and followed channel made sure that they didn't have a dog in the race. This went on for hours and days to the point to where I settled on my investment. I have purchased the main items for what I want to coming down to last of it. A few of them of Ridgid but not all. Dust collection and space is next item the game changer for this. More research

Comment

Battery chemistry continues to evolve . in my lifetime I ha e seen dry cell , lead acid , nicad , lithium , and now graphite based !
                  we are close to having a battery that will hold a greater charge , a longer time , charge faster , and have many charge cycles!
                  The future is now , although corded will remain a better option for some applications .
                  Last edited by Frankiarmz; 02-06-2021, 10:16 PM.

Comment

I want those batteries (or whatever they are) that are used on Star Trek.

Their portable devices seem to never run out of power. And a handheld device can power up a whole spaceship.
                    It's like having a 1200MW nuclear power plant in your pocket.
                    "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006
                    "?ǝɹɐ sɹǝƃuıɟ ɹnoʎ ǝɹǝɥʍ ʍouʞ noʎ op `ʍɐs ǝlqɐʇ ɐ s,ʇı"

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1p...qcZKHyrqKhikFA

----

Comment

• BadgerDave
                      BadgerDave commented
                      Editing a comment
                      When Star Trek started the supposed year was 2364, you only have to wait another 343 years for that technology.

• Bob D.
                      Bob D. commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I don't have that long to live, I want it now. :-)

I want to expand on the the GM battery sort of way-I have to admit it is funny-real funny I thought from Super Bowl commercial but of course I am a fan!!

Comment

I saw an article about trying to find more sources of Lithium to make more batteries. Come on, lithium is pretty poisonous and where ever all the old stuff ends up will be a toxic dump for a million years.

Comment

Graphene is the next battery technology .

Comment

I have never heard of Graphene but sounds good. What is your oldest 129 volt tool? My oldest 120 volt tool is a 60 year old plus Stanley drill and still works. Next would be Skill saber saw 30 years or so old.

Comment

Portable power tools are great! Advances in battery technology over the past 20 years has made this possible. The downside is the lack of battery compatibility across manufacturers. This is not a technology issue as standardized battery fitments could easily be made if there were industry standards.

Power sources for electric power tools are standardized by the common AC plug. Gas powered engines for cars and trucks run on the same fuel across a small number of variations. But when the industry made the revolutionary improvement to portable power tools, they built in their own proprietary form factor in the power source that locks you into their brand. We got a lot of new value, but lost a lot of flexibility with their expensive batteries.

Comment

• Bob D.
                            Bob D. commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Think about it from their perspective. They gained a whole new round of tool buying as people replaced corded for cordless, PLUS they get you locked into their brand/battery platform, for the reasons you state. AND because the batteries are unique to each brand they have repeat battery sales coming too. So we 'think' they're crazy, and yes they are, crazy like a fox.

• AverageHomeowner
                            AverageHomeowner commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Well said, Agreed.
                        Working...
                        X