Mosquitos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mosquitos

Well no replies about post about flies....

How about mosquitos within the inside of the home?

Lots of gadgets out there. Lots of reviews pro and con with many shills!

This year in Arizona mosquitos in the home have been simply awful.

Any of you have a miracle device to eliminate/kill them or at least discourage them
    from bothering us humans and dogs?

Cactus Man

Put screens on the windows and keep the doors closed.

That's what we do here in NJ where the Mosquito is jokingly our state insect.

Officially it's the Honeybee but if you ask most people I bet they say it's the Mosquito.

My best defense has been one of those electronic flyswatters for the past few years. The one I have
    takes a 9v battery and it apparently packs a wallop as it will zap a big fly or Stinkbug dead on the
    first try.
    When you see the smoke rising from their charred bodies you know that one's gone for good.
    "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" ? Bob D. 2006
    "?ǝɹɐ sɹǝƃuıɟ ɹnoʎ ǝɹǝɥʍ ʍouʞ noʎ op `ʍɐs ǝlqɐʇ ɐ s,ʇı"

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1p...qcZKHyrqKhikFA

----

Comment

Spiders!

Not sure where your mosquitos are coming from and that is what I would focus on for the moment. No standing water anywhere, check outside your home and even your neighbors if you can. I noticed my closest neighbor had several buckets on the other side of the fence separating our homes. They were all turned upright and when I looked at them they were swimming with mosquito larvae. Even small pools of water like may be found in your eavestrough will be a breeding ground.

I had these small flies that were really bothersome. The only source that I can find within the house is my sump basin in the basement. I don't see any there, but I can't find any other likely source. So instead of killing off and vacuuming away the occasion spider I would find near the basement windows, I just let them be and they do seem to enjoy the flies and now I only find a fly on rare occasion when one flies past my computer screen. Go to the basement window and the spider webs will be good evidence of what is happening to them as flies are attracted to the daylight.

My grandparents had a farm at which I have terrific memories of my youth. As you initially described your post about the flies, they too had those ugly sticky ribbons to catch flies. On the farm, flies were quite prevalent and with us kids constantly running in a out, the screen doors weren't all that helpful. One thing they did was put balls of cotton on the outside of the screen doors. I don't recall if they treated those with anything, but it seemed to keep the flies off the screen. I recall asking my Grandmother about them and was told it was to help keep the flies out of the house.

CWS

Comment

As CWS said check for standing water after a rain. I have a couple extra trash cans that I store inverted behind the garage and the lip will collect water about a 1/2" deep. That's more than enough for Mosquitos larvae to thrive in. So I dump them out after each rain. I think it only takes a couple days for some species to go from egg to adult, so once a week tipping of buckets and other rain catchers may not be enough.

Mosquito - Wikipedia

----

Comment

I would think a indoor fogger should do the trick. Im sure they make them for mosquitos ... I have used them for my work van to kill flies when servicing a egg processing plants drains .

No matter how quick I am able to get my gear in and out of my van there's at least a 100 flies that make it into my van ... It's a PIA while driving and at the same time swatting flies .

Reason # 99 why my wife and daughter refuse to be a passenger in my work vehicle .

Comment

indoor fogger i think

Comment

But what are the risks to you and family members, including any pets?

CWS

Comment

• Bob D.
                Bob D. commented
                Editing a comment
                I would be worried about that too. And after the fact you'll have residue that settles out on all horizontal surfaces.

I found out my local city suspended fogging neighborhoods around 2019.
              The city power's to be explained in addition to mosquitos they were killing
              good insects like bees etc.

I did speak to a few neighbors and they too have mosquito issues.
              None admitted to standing water.

I the local news here is a 65 year old healthy guy now on life support due to a mosquito bite and has Nile fever!
              It does not look good for him.... not related to Wuhan!!!!

I bit the bullet and purchased a Skeeter Hawk mosquito dehydrator. I won't use any type of "Zapper"
              as they cause RFI [radio frequency interference]

I did buy it from Amazon, so I have a while before deciding if the thing works.
              So far three days running, no biters in the bottom of the Skeeter Hawk, but I have not been
              attacked by mosquitos as much as before.... whatever that means.

I really think these blue UV LED type bug killers are snake oil as mosquitos zero in on your CO2 exhaled
              breath, they could care less about pretty lights.

So I'll give this thing 2 weeks and if the bottom container does not have mosquitos it will be returned.

Cactus Man.

Last edited by cactusman; 09-09-2021, 04:02 PM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

• Bob D.
                Bob D. commented
                Editing a comment
                I wonder if the LED lamp is the problem. It may not produce the correct wavelength light to attract the critters.

Skeeter Hawk update:

This thing has been quietly running for about a week.
              I took a peek in the bottom screened area and behold 8 dead dried mosquitos.

I still have my doubts as the little buggers are not attracted to blue light!

I have been eating copious amounts of garlic..... garlic chicken, garlic toast, and even a tablespoon of fresh garlic
              at bed time.
              Due to Wuhan I am not very social right now so garlic breath is not an issue right now ha ha ha

I have determined the mosquitos have not bothered me as much as before. When you sweat the garlic oil
              is mixed with your sweat and they do not like garlic.

Possibly a homeopathic solution..at least for now.

Cactus Man

Comment

8, only 8, that's all that were caught in a week? That doesn't work, those 8 just died
                of natural causes. It was their time, that trap had nothing to do with their demise.

Last edited by Bob D.; 09-14-2021, 03:48 PM.

----

Comment

Working...
                X