Rigid Warrantee?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rigid Warrantee?

I've been without my hammer drill for over a year and a half as the repair facility near me has either lost it or has gone out of business. I have tried contacting Rigid several times but to no avail. My question is this... What good is a lifetime warrantee if you can't get your tool back after you entrust it to a service center and the manufacturer does nothing to help to that end?

You must poses the patience of Job if it took you a year and a half waiting for your drill to be repaired. It sounds like the repair center is the culprit here with Ridgid holding some of the blame for allowing them to become an authorized service center. If they have gone out of business then you and probably many others are the unfortunate victims of that action. It sounds like you're not sure if that is really what happened though.
    The Leading Cause Of Injury In Older Men Is Them Thinking They Are Still Young Men.

Comment

• Magilacutty
      Magilacutty commented
      Editing a comment
      Yesterday a rep from Rigid was finally able to reach the owner and he assured them that he knew exactly who I am and what drill I left for repair. He said that he will call me by end of day to set things right. I highly doubt any of this as he told me the same thing the last time I was able to reach him back in the spring. The time now is almost 4:30 on Friday and my phone has yet to ring. The Rigid rep asked me to call back on Monday if he fails to reach out and also that this matter has been escalated and they will take care of me then. I've been dealing with this since March of 2021 with multiple phone calls and trips to the repair shop as well as calls to Rigid when it appeared the shop had closed and they quit answering the phones or returning calls in July of this year.

This is what the place looked like the last time I was there on June 29, 2022

Comment

You probably share the same sentiments about this RIDGID authorized service center as these complainants to BBB ( Better Business Bureau ) in your area .

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-10-21 at 18-44-00 Suhrie Industrial Supplies & Tool Rental Complaints Better Business Bureau? Profile.png
Views:	263
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	754281

Name:	Screenshot 2022-10-21 at 18-43-16 Suhrie Industrial Supplies & Tool Rental Complaints Better Business Bureau? Profile.png
Views:	223
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	754283

Hope it all works out for you and let the forum know how your callback Monday to RIDGID Customer Service goes.
      Attached Files

Comment

While I have not lost a tool to any Ridgid 'Authorized Service Center', I did have one occasion that illustrated Ridgid's lack of interest or responsibility in screening such places before they choose them. Back in 2003 Home Depot opened new store in our area. At the same time they opened another about 75 miles away in a larger city. Nice sales and it was really welcome as most of the other hardware and appliance stores in our area were small independents. I bought a number of Ryobi and Ridgid tools as I had just retired. Around 2008 or so, I had the need to send in a recently purchased cordless drill to have the chuck fixed. I called the place I had used a couple of years before and they told me that they were no longer servicing Ridgid tools under their service agreement. Something about payment and parts delays.

So I looked on Ridgid website and was surprise to find a listing just a couple miles south of where I lived. Surprised, because at the time I lived in a small factory town and the area of location was south of me on a back country road a few miles north of the Pennsylvania border. So, I grabbed my drill and my sales and LSA registration papers and went looking. Long story, short I passed the place twice before my wife spotted it. About a dozen or so feet, up and embankment on the side of the road was what looked like a wood shed with a motor and equipment repair sign and a "Ridgid" logo along side a few other equipment logos.

Well, I pulled up the driveway (sort of a dirt ramp up the embankment) and as I was walking toward the shed, a fellow came down from the house that sat further up the hill. He was very friendly and going into the shed I noticed a few posters and a small counter with the usual paraphanalia of a makeshift service counter. He took the tool and all the necessary information and said he'd call me as soon as he heard back from Ridgid. Well the next day he said a new chuck was on the way and he'd give me a call as soon as the repair was done. He actually call a few days later and told me it would be about three weeks before I'd get the drill back. Sure enough, a couple week went by and there was a knock on my door. His wife said she had to come up to do some shopping and she was happy to drop off the drill.

Very nice people and I called the guy to thank him. In the process I asked how he managed to get to be and "Ridgid Authorized Service Center". He told me that Ridgid had called him! It wasn't clear whether anybody had actually visited him though. A couple months later I found out that he had dropped that part of his business. His reasoning was that there wasn't much business from Ridgid and that parts and reimbursement were slow coming.

CWS

Comment

This is going to be a little long but I feel everyone should have the whole story from the beginning. It started in June of 2021 when I was drilling holes in the edge of a concrete slab to accept rebar and I'm assuming something got into the end of the motor because plastic fan blade pieces started shooting out. I called Rigid right away and was assured that this would be an easy repair and explained how to find a local repair shop. I choose a place called Doug's Small Engine Repair as it was close. I dropped my drill off in July of that year and was told it should only take a couple of weeks. After many calls and stopping by several times and always getting the same "I'm waiting for the part to come in" I finally got the call that I could pick up my drill in November. I only had my drill back for about a week when I noticed that the small button on the handle that you would normally hit with a pinky finger was missing leaving the microswitch exposed. This may have only been a small inconvenience but I felt it it was worth addressing. I next called Rigid again on November 29 to get confirmation that bringing my drill to another repair shop wouldn't be a problem considering how long it too Doug's to get the job done. I was assured this would not be a problem and was encouraged to have it fixed so dust and dirt didn't get in the switch. In early December of 2021 I brought my drill to Surhe, (about five miles further from me than Doug's and in the opposite direction) and was told this was a simple fix and should only take a day or two. After I didn't hear from them for over a week I tried to call and reached a voice mailbox that was full. I tried several times and reached someone once who told me they would get back to me later in the day as they were on the road. So... on July 15, 2022 I started my calls to Rigid. I first reached Ricky who disconnected our call as soon as I explained everything I had been through up to this point. Odd thing is as soon as that call disconnected I heard a ring tone on the phone so I stayed on the line until I was connected with Life Alert (No Lie). I called back and reached a Kanesha who told me they would try to contact Suhre and then call me back either later that day or early the next business day. I never heard from her again. I tried to call again 10 days later on the 25th and reached Michael. He put me on hold and tried calling suhre himself and said that he reached the same full mailbox. He claimed that he escalated the call to his superior and got corporate involved. He assured me he would call me back as soon as he got more information for me. I never heard from him again. Since July I had some personal things come up and didn't have time to go through this whole thing again so I didn't try calling Rigid again until Oct 20 When I reached Lisa. She assured me that this matter has been reported and put me on hold while she tried to call suhre and came back on the line saying that she did get through and he was on the road but would call me back that day or the next. Lisa told me that if I didn't hear from Suhre I was to call Rigid back on Monday for resolution. Now we come to today... I called this morning and reached Kanesha and as soon as I explained my issue we were mysteriously disconnected. I called back and reached Taylor who said that other than the report that Michal filed there was nothing else about my case. She updated my file then assured me that she emailed her superior then connected me to that person's voicemail. I left a message with a brief explanation of my problem and requested an immediate call back. That was 9:30 this morning and the time now is 3:15 and I have been on hold with customer support for 40 minutes waiting for the next available agent. Only 4-8 minutes to go.

Comment

Another follow up... I just spoke to Melissa who connected me to her lead, Tyson and I got the opportunity to leave a second voicemail for him to return my call. Come on Rigid. Help me out here!!!!

For your viewing pleasure, a picture of my drill with the fan blades out..

Comment

It's pathetic the response from these 'authorized' service centers. If they can't get the parts or it is a long delay they should say so up front so the customer can make an informed decision as to whether they want to wait some unknown number of months for parts to come in or go somewhere else or just buy something else.

Here's what I am going to say and I have said it before. This forum has a limited audience, and while I know there are people from RIDGID and TTI who do check in from time to time they rarely if ever comment on anything. They may see a thread like this, but they are not likely to take any direction action with the person coming here looking for help or just to vent. I've been on this forum for almost 19 years and that has been the case 99% of the time.

So for anyone who comes here and hopes to reach someone who may be of help, no matter how deserving they may be of that help, is not going to find it 99% of the time.

That is a hard thing for me to say but it is the truth, and I challenge anyone to prove otherwise.

It seems in todays world if you want to get some help you've got to make some noise. This forum is but a tiny 1/2 watt tweeter of a speaker, you need a 20K watt sub-woofer!

Get on Facebook or Twitter and blast away, BUT TELL THE TRUTH and don't exaggerate or mislead anyone when recounting your history on the issue.

For the cordless power tools you need to get the attention of TTI and Home Depot, as they are the two who manufacture (TTI) and sell (HD) the line of tools with the RIDGID brand name on them. So jump on their official Facebook pages or Twitter accounts and make your voice heard.

The only thing that will get their attention is bad press AND more importantly loss of sales.

Reporting them to the BBB or your State Consumer Affairs bureau may help but not likely.

Did you buy the tool through Home Depot? Go on their website and give an honest review of what pain you've gone through for such a simple repair. When enough people read it and then don't buy, maybe someone will wake up but don't count on it. History has proven they couldn't care less.

Sorry but that's the way I see it. If you're inside the 90 day no questions asked period take it back and get your money, then go buy another brand. Don't fall for the LSA's siren call and empty promises that can't be backed up because they have no parts. And this was going on long before the COVID pandemic so don't let any one blame it on COVID.
              "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" ? Bob D. 2004
              "?ǝɹɐ sɹǝƃuıɟ ɹnoʎ ǝɹǝɥʍ ʍouʞ noʎ op `ʍɐs ǝlqɐʇ ɐ s,ʇı"

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute
              http://www.cordlessworkshop.net
              https://youtube.com/@bobd.
              ----

Comment

I've tried this before and got nowhere, but I did it again a couple days ago (10/21/2022) when I first saw this thread.
                No response as yet. This is to a person I know at RIDGID, not TTI which I think is obvious in the message but I just want to make that clear.

And as I said in my previous post today RIDGID has nothing to do with making or marketing the cordless tool line. This person works for RIDGID, but I was hoping they could get me in touch with someone from TTI. Hasn't happened yet on this issue or any time I have tried in the past.

Me personally I have never gone through this because I have never taken a tool to a service center. And based on what I have read here over the years I have ZERO inclination to do so.

The tools I have that are covered under the LSA I will hold them to their promise. The tools that I have not (my choice) registered in the LSA I will trash if/when they ever break and buy another brand as a replacement. I can not justify buying any more RIDGID Tools. I don't care if the service from other brands is just as bad, and it probably is because Ryobi and Milwaukee are also made by TTI.

DeWalt, Milwaukee, Ryobi, Festool, and Bosch, I have some of their tools too so I already have batteries and it's not a problem for me to buy a tool from another brand.

I hope RIDGID makes a bundle off licensing their name for use with the line of tools that bear their name, because they are taking a beat down on their reputation for the poor service that they have nothing to do with and no control over. Worse business decision that ever could have been made from what I see.

Name:	RIDGID Powertool Service Centers message.png
Views:	205
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	754308

----

Comment

• Bob D.
                  Bob D. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Still no direct reply to this message that I sent. Only the announcement the Forum will be shut down in January. Makes me wonder if the two are related?

I called Rigid again today and spoke with a nice young lady who actually took interest in my situation. She said that she was sending an email to Kevin in the service center as well as her superior, Tyson with the prospect of getting me a replacement. She actually called me back about 30 minutes later to verify my shipping address. I finally feel as though progress may have been made today. Hopefully I will have a replacement hammer drill in hand by the day this forum is archived.
                Last edited by Magilacutty; 10-28-2022, 10:22 AM.

Comment

that's good to hear. I hope it all works out. If you do get resolution before this forum is killed off please let us know.

----

Comment

So... my final call to Rigid customer service, Hillary this time, was on November 3. After going through the entire story up to that point Hillary contacted Suhrie and was told that he definitely knows who I am and what drill I own and also he has it on his bench to be repaired the next day after which he will give me a call. He would take care of it right now but he just left the shop and is in his truck. When Hillary told me this I just laughed and let her know that this is his MO and it's the fourth time I've heard the same thing going back almost a year at this point. After putting me on another brief hold she came back to let me know that a new, replacement drill has been ordered and should arrive within 7 to 14 days. I can finally say that after a year and a half I have finally been made whole and my new drill's LSA has already been registered. I can guarantee that if I have a problem with any of my power tools I will not take them to an authorized service center for repair.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

Mike Anthony,
                    Proud Rigid Tool User.

Comment

• CWSmith
                      CWSmith commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Well MIke, it isn't in your hands yet!

Hope it arrives on schedule so that this epic tale will come to a happy conclusion for you very soon!

Please post when you have it in your hands,

CWS

I have received my new drill. It is a little different than my old one but I'm sure it will work as expected.

Comment

Congratulations, I'm happy for you seeing the conclusion of your successful adenture to have them make things right for you.

Best wishes for the upcoming holidays,

CWS

Comment

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                        X