X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is My Home DEpot.....

The only one that now charges EVERYONE to cut things down on the panel cutter? I think mine charges one or two bucks a cut and the sign says "not responsible for accuracy"! I asked why the change in policy (charging to cut), and the answer i got was contractors were showing up first thing in the morning and wanted 60 or 70 cuts each. I can understand charging them for excessive cuts. But how the heck can you charge something and then not be responsible to cut it right? I can understand if I give the guy cutting it the wrong measurements, but if I give him right and it is wrong, how can they claim not to be responsible? I had one that was about 1/4" difference to the short side. Before I had to say anything, the guy admitted he did not set the saw correctly and cut me a new piece, but from what i understand that is the exception not the norm. He told me not to tell anyone. I find this to be truly amazing!
    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

About a year or so ago , i had some cuts made at HD and i was charged. Thats the last time ive gotten anything cut there. Not sure how it is now. ILL have to check now, im curious.
    \"practice is like farting; only you can do it yourself\' and no one can do it for you\"-sawaki kodo (zen master)

Comment

I gotta tell ya, an awful lot depends on who you talk to and who does the work. There is a written policy and sign at my store but nobody seems to follow it. I haven't checked it lately, but last year it was something like the first cut was free and after that it was something like $0.50 a cut. I don't recall seeing anything about accuracy though. Seems to me, if you are being charged for the cut, they need to stand behind the accuracy of it!

Before I noticed the sign last year, I had inquired about having some ply, cut to 10-inch widths for use in a bookcase that I was making. I was told "absolutely not"... even when I said I would gladly pay. (I didn't have a vehicle to get a full sheet of plywood home.) So, I just purchased 10-inch width pine boards and went with that.

The next time I was in the store I hear this saw buzzing away and I walked down and found one of the orange aprons making four cuts each to about eight sheets of ply and noticed that the purchase only paid the cost of the sheets and not the cuts. I was then told that it depended on the available time of the associate. So, it would seem things vary, despite what the sign says.

CWS

Comment

I work for HD and our policy is, 1st cut free, after that it's $.50 per cut. A lot depends on the person doing the cutting....We also will not make a cut less than 12". I know...but that's the rules at my store.

Comment

Before you pay to have HD rip down your expensive sheet goods, check the blade on their saw for sharpness. There was a bunch of cut down birch ply on the cull cart at the HD here recently and the tear was so bad the pieces were useless.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

yeah

and it always seems at the store i go to two lumber associates not qualified to run the saw are standing around scratching their a** while the only guy that is qualified is handling 2 or 3 customers. I grabbed the store manager once when there were three of us waiting for wood to be cut and only one guy was "qualified" and he was working the millwork desk with a line.

When HD first came out they were all about the customer service. what happened? too big and too profitable they cut staff to keep that bottom line??
            \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

Originally posted by spacebluesonoma:
              A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR
              Navy recruiter, eh?
              How's business?
              Gary USN 1968-1972
              Lorax
              "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Originally posted by spacebluesonoma:
                yeah

and it always seems at the store i go to two lumber associates not qualified to run the saw are standing around scratching their a** while the only guy that is qualified is handling 2 or 3 customers. I grabbed the store manager once when there were three of us waiting for wood to be cut and only one guy was "qualified" and he was working the millwork desk with a line.

When HD first came out they were all about the customer service. what happened? too big and too profitable they cut staff to keep that bottom line??

Comment

Originally posted by Howard M:
                  </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by spacebluesonoma:
                  yeah

</font>[/QUOTE]Sorry guys, screwed up the first time. I know what you are talking about as far as understaffed. Our lumber always seems to be that way. I work in a different department but could run their saws easily, however since I'm not trained at this time I have to watch people walk away because of ..no service people... It's not the guys standing theres fault, it just seems that no one has time to officially "train" anybody. They have a big long BS written training booklet you have to go thru before you can be "trained" on the saws which would take everybit of 5 minutes. Duh!

Comment

Im in hardware which at my store is right next to lumber. Im also a cabinetmaker during the day, so I am well qualified to run the saws at HD, but I havent been offically trained. I used to try to get a lumber associate to come over, but eventually I would just go ahead and do it myself. Then several people told me that I could get fired for that, no matter how qualified I am.

The main issue is the lack of employees on who can/will do it. Before all the new training for the saw I used to do cuts often. One night I was back on the saw for nearly an hour and being called back to hardware. Several times I looked down the main aisle and saw the rest of the lumber people standing around, pacing to see if I was still on the saw.

When I was cutting I never charged, but there are customers who want you to cut their whole project out for them, thats why HD says 1/2" accuarcy now.

Comment

Okay... official... HD does suck

Okay, I posted a long reply to a different thread already. But, after reading numerous other posts BY EMPLOYEES. It's official... HD plain sucks. I wish I could just boycott them...... I work in Healthcare, as a CT Technologist. Not only will my hospital pay me for every bit of training that I attend, but overtime if need be. Matter of fact, I have been working 20-25 hrs a week OT for the last two months, and could do more if I didn't care about having some kinda life outside of work. SOMETHING needs to happen in this country...... FAST. Employees need to start joining together and speaking out against the poor training, lack of employees, etc. Go on strike, do whatever necessary. I bet the CEO didn't care how much the employees made last year, even though they were ultimately responsible for delivering the final goods.... being that he made his 22.8 million last year and a total of 90 MILLION 5 year compensation package. NOBODY is worth that much, NOBODY. Being that most of the legwork is done by most other people than the CEO>>>>> they definitely don't. Here is the link if you have any doubts to my claim.......

http://www.forbes.com/static/execpay...atatype=Person

So..... keep letting the issues slip on the lower level.... and the green stuff will keep slipping right into his pocket.
                      There should be NO SUCH THING as "I can't do it." My philosophy on life is simple... "If you're trying, you're halfway there!"

Comment

So cut it yourself

It baffles me why HD cuts for anyone. I spend $100,000+ annually at HD&Lowes. The service I get is less than they provide to DIYers, who might spend a few hundred annually. I wish HD would consistently charge for the services they provide, then I wouldn't have to subsidize those who take up a lot of staff time for a small purchase.

$.50 per cut is not exhorbinant. It probably doesn't cover the cost of labor plus the cost of the area allocated to the panel saw.

Let HD offer a choice, $1.00 per cut and they eat the mistakes or $.50 and the customer eats it.

Comment

it's called a lumber yard. they give breaks to the average contractor. i may not spend the cash you do, but i think that it is the everyday customer that brings the money in. i am sure that if you are spending that kind of money there, you probably have the tools to cut the lumber too. some people don't have the option and can't afford to buy a saw for a one time project. i have the tools to cut my lumber at home, but wouldn't want the average person to go without because someone thinks that they are more important in what they do.

Comment

Breaks?

Us contractors pay the same prices as the rest of the HD customers. There is no break for contractors. I generally buy my lumber elsewhere because lumberyards do a far better job with deliveries than does HD.

I understand that many people can't deal with a full sheet of plywood. I would expect them to pay for the service needed. Why expect it for free? Free meaning it's paid for by someone else.

The gas station charges more for full service (if its available at all).

Comment

I would have to agree with BigThom. I am not a GC, but I do remodel and custom work on homes. If there is a fee everyone should pay for it. Knowing that HD does not cut correctly if I have them cut anything for me (sometimes I am with the wife and kids) I will add about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch to my measurement. HD just needs to get back to good cutomer service.
                              Life is like drywall, if you make a mistake, use extra mud.

Comment

Working...
                              X