No announcement yet.

How helpfull are the Home Depot employee's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since the big box stores have driven out most of the small detail oriented hardware and tool stores it does get harder to find knowledgable sales people anymore. Particularly when the pay and benefits are so horrible.

I was in a Sears Appliance and Hardware store to return a split wrench and watched a customer chew out this poor little cashier for 10 minutes. The front line employees always take all of the grief yet they have absolutely no control over the stores policies. If somebody had talked to that guys daughter or wife the way he was talking to that young lady he would have probably punched the person in the mouth and rightly so. It was really sad, the stores manager did not come out until the customer left, that was even sadder. The managers door was right behind the service desk and it would have been impossible for the manager to not know what was going on.

I get aggravated at the floor help in these big stores but the problems are at the management level and I try to let that influence my attitude towards the untrained and poorly trained help that simply want to earn their living and go home to their families.
    Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

<<It was really sad, the stores manager did not come out until the customer left, that was even sadder. The managers door was right behind the service desk and it would have been impossible for the manager to not know what was going on.>>

Of course the manager knew what was going on. He just didn't care. He was happy that he didn't have to face the customer. What a coward!

I always ask to speak to the store manager. Not the dept. manager. I make sure to tell them that the reason their customer service is crappy is that the only people they'll hire are those with warm bodies who can pass a drug test. That way, they can get away with paying them minimum wage. They don't want intelligent people. As Tennessee Ernie Ford sang long ago "A mind that's weak and a back that's strong".

Al
      Last edited by acemery; 02-15-2006, 09:20 PM.
      America:
      The land of the free
      Because of the brave

Comment

Some of the HD employee's are not to pleased about the way things are either. On of the guys in the tool area should really be in charge of arranging the displays. The table saws are on low shelves and so anyone under 5'9" can't really see all the details. If they put them at ground level more people would come buy and look and possibly buy.

i was there last week when a neighbor had a question about some can lights and the price for the can lights was put on a pillar at 7', how many people look up 7' when the merchandise in sitting on the floor? I moved it down to 5' and it's been there since...
        "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
        "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

Don't get me started !

Where I live in Canada we have a chain store called RONA.

Just recently purchased by a Quebec based company that pulled every Western supplier out to replace them with primarily Eastern product suppliers, NICE !

This coming from a company that calls them selves proudly Canadian, ya right. Only if you live in Quebec I guess, which is the farthest thing from being Canadian.

I will support HD even stronger due to their much better customers service, better product and better prices.
          HD prices are on average 10-15 % better across the board on tools and other products.

Glenn
          A damn proud Canadian !

Comment

There is a skit on the Dave Chappel show on comedy central about custemer service at a copy center chain. The skit is like a training video and the last line is something like "why do we treat our cusemers this way? Because f**k `em! Thats why!"
            I think somewhere along the way someone replaced real cheapo depot training vids with this skit or at least adopted that motto. I will admit to occasionaly running across someone who knows there stuff and is helpfull but usualy I`m dealing with morons who can`t be bothered. Sad thing is that I can remember, years ago asking someone to point me in the direction of what I needed. They walked me to it explaining that that were not allowed to simply point us in the right direction but had to make sure we found what we needed personaly. That philosophy impressed me at the time.
            We had a Loewes open nearby recently and the service there has been great. Hopefully that lasts.
            John

Comment

Originally posted by Polar Sparky 1224
              My wife had gone it to return a tool i didn't need and then asked where she could find the some nutdrivers for my drill. It would have been much faster if I had gone with her shoping since i can walk to there tool coral with my eye's closed. she asked a few aprons for help and the guy told her to head for the sign that said tools and then went back to talking with his co-worker. My wife felt insulted that they couldn't be a bit more consiterate. My wife doens't no much about tools but since i know nothing about nursing we're even. Wouldn't you think that as you put on an orange apron you take on the task of helping people that come for help? I wonder if i can get a job where i can talk to my friend at work?
              Yea,

But I doubt you have a part time job that pays next to minimum wage with no benifits.

Americans want to buy at extreme low prices, but then ***** about the service. We have let Home Depot run every local hardware store out of service because we saved a few bucks. Well, I guess it's time we live with it.

Hey, I'm as guilty as anyone, but my ways have changed.
              the dog

Comment

Where I live, there are 2 Home Depots and 2 Lowe's in town, and I've shopped at all four, and customer service has always ranged from acceptable to outstanding.
                However, right now I'm remodeling a house in Sandpoint, ID, where there's one HD and no Lowe's - I have spent thousands and thousands of dollars at this place, and I have NEVER had such horrible customer service; the following is only the most recent example.
                I ordered some vinyl flooring. Get a call a week later saying it's in. Go in to pick it up. The overweight jackass behind the counter says they don't have anything for me waiting to be picked up. I didn't have my receipt (which I have NEVER before needed in order to pick up anything there) and he said that was the only thing that could prove I had bought it, so I went back to the site to get it. I go back, there's a cute little brunette - like 18 or something - working behind the counter, and I explaing the situation. She looks up my name on the computer, and my vinyl is at the front of the store three minutes later. I was so mad at the first guy that I almost spit. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Comment

home depot blues.......

Well, I think we're very lucky to have stores like HD. I can recall the old hardware store in my town which opened between 8 and 9 and closed at 5:30
                  and was closed Sunday. The owner was knowledgeable but he was always grumpy and wasn't above patronizing you if you weren't an expert like him. I hated going in there which is why I like the fact I can walk through HD for hours if I want and no one will bother me. Another great thing about HD is their return policy which is about as good as it gets. As for the help, I've found good and bad at HD. It does seem like lately there's been more slacker types but I can live with that as I don't usually need much help anyway. I'd really miss HD and Lowes if they weren't there and for sure we'd all pay more money for tools.

Maryjo

Comment

For a DIYer Home Depots and Lowes are great. For a professional who has been spoiled by supply houses which have high quailty materials and people who have to help you they are horrible. Then again why a Pro would choose to go to a Box store is beyond me. I would rather pay a little more and get the right part to begin with.

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow
                      For a DIYer Home Depots and Lowes are great. For a professional who has been spoiled by supply houses which have high quailty materials and people who have to help you they are horrible. Then again why a Pro would choose to go to a Box store is beyond me. I would rather pay a little more and get the right part to begin with.

Mark
                      I agree.

The problem with the chain stores is that they only stock items that sell X amount of units per month. You can, for instance, buy a Ridgid tubing cutter, but try buying replacement rollers and pins. You can buy from a large selection of power tools, but try buy optional attachments.

If it isn't moving fast, it isn't stocked.

I, like you, would rather pay a little more for one stop shopping.
                      the dog

Comment

Being the odd female in the tools section looking for a tool, I've had the gamut of employees to "help" me. Usually the posers are put off by questions like "what size arbor does it use?" and run away.

The HD in Winchester, VA is actually staffed by some very knowlegable, helpful people. One of the guys there is a cabinetmaker by trade, and is always a good person to bounce ideas off. He really likes helping customers, and will always answer questions honestly. I've had great luck at the Winchester HD in just about all of the departments. It's refreshing to know I can go there and get good advice and helpful people that are willing to get the big heavy thing off the top of the display shelves!!
                        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Too much help

I've had some good advice, well once, about the Ridgid LSA that I didn't know about.

The other day I wanted a price on a set of quick release augers made by Ridgid. They were in a stack by themselves with no price anywhere. One guy didn't know and got his boss who told me they're about $15 but wan't any good. He said they opened them when they came in and tried them but they didn't work that good etc.

After looking around for a while I went ahead and bought them. ($12.95)

I opened them the other day and was quite impressed with the quality and function of the bits. Nothing wrong with them I could see and the 1" made quick work of installation of a lockset in a door.

Have to take some "advice" with a grain of salt.

Comment

I'll give the guy in electrical credit for being nice. I needed to get some 18-20 AWG stranded wire to fix something on the car. I waited my turn and he looked through all the wire for me and the best we came up with was speaker wire at .23 a foot. I was going to look at ace anyway and bought it there but the guy at home depot even though he wasn't an electrician was willing to look over everything twice.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow

Mark
                              Agreed 100%, handymen need a place to go to!!

Comment

I had to redo the wiring in the door of my 96 honda civic, and got some of the wire and buttsplices i needed at hd. The rest of the wire i got at ace for .11 a foot. It took me 3 hours to remove the car door and to splice a foot of wire onto the 23 wires going into the door. I'm proud to say my windows rool down and the window that hasn't worked for two years is working fine. I knew more than the guy that was trying to help me and at Ace i have old classmates that work there. I'm not a prossesional mechanic and nor do i claim to know anything about cars but I'd feel real embarassed going to a shop and paying someone $200-$400 just to fix some wires.

And this makes my wife very happy, So if the women don't find ya handsome they should at-least find ya handy.

(i know swoosh 81 will have to say something about this but I won't see it!!!!! )

swoosh81+bad english=Ignore List.

Comment

Working...
                                X