X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How helpfull are the Home Depot employee's

My wife had gone it to return a tool i didn't need and then asked where she could find the some nutdrivers for my drill. It would have been much faster if I had gone with her shoping since i can walk to there tool coral with my eye's closed. she asked a few aprons for help and the guy told her to head for the sign that said tools and then went back to talking with his co-worker. My wife felt insulted that they couldn't be a bit more consiterate. My wife doens't no much about tools but since i know nothing about nursing we're even. Wouldn't you think that as you put on an orange apron you take on the task of helping people that come for help? I wonder if i can get a job where i can talk to my friend at work?
    "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
    "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

I'll bet she would have gotten treated much better at the Arlington, Tx. Home Depot.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Polar Sparky,

Probably about 80% of the people working in home improvement retail have some sense of manners and professionalism... the other 20% work for Home Depot. Don't get me wrong, there are a handfull of pleasant, easy going, "I love my job" types who wear the "orange apron": but frankly, I think they are an endangered species.

I look at most of them with the following reasoning: one, they have never had to work before and are down on their luck and finally found a job and hate it; or, they are simply fall-out from the construction trades who have washed out of that buisiness because they couldn't cut it, and now find themself "playing the part" and looking down their nose at all of us amateurs.

Over that last three years, I have found some delightful people at Home Depot... like maybe three of them. The rest are rude, ignorant, ill-mannered, and frankly don't have a clue and will tell you anything just to get you to leave them alone. But I've also found that each store is almost completely different, both in their knowledge, their stock, and their willingness to assist customers.

I know it sounds like a pretty grim bunch of sour grapes on my part, but I don't think I've ever been lied to or given as many stories, and excuses in any store as much as I have Home Depot. All that said, I'm not sure who you can blame though, as there appears to be little or no training in my local store. Most people don't know the products, don't know where they are located, don't have a clue if its even something they carry; and in many cases, don't even know what it is you're talking about. Give them a SKU# and you might be okay, but beyond that you're pretty much on your own.

Happy New Year,

CWS

Comment

about 16yrs ago i had to take on a 2nd job to get by, so i worked at a store like hd and worked there for 2yrs sat & sun.i had 7yrs in plumbing so i knew what i was doing. i had people comeing in during the week looking for me. one day i had someone ask me about piping a bathroom so i put all the pipes fittings on the floor in the order he was to put them in and # each one so he did not forget it. the other people in my dpt had some training from the store but just to get by. i do not think you could get this today. i think the pay is not good enough to get good workers. so we must depend on some!! people like the ones in this forum to help others.
        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith
          Polar Sparky,

Probably about 80% of the people working in home improvement retail have some sense of manners and professionalism... the other 20% work for Home Depot. Don't get me wrong, there are a handfull of pleasant, easy going, "I love my job" types who wear the "orange apron": but frankly, I think they are an endangered species.

I look at most of them with the following reasoning: one, they have never had to work before and are down on their luck and finally found a job and hate it; or, they are simply fall-out from the construction trades who have washed out of that buisiness because they couldn't cut it, and now find themself "playing the part" and looking down their nose at all of us amateurs.

Over that last three years, I have found some delightful people at Home Depot... like maybe three of them. The rest are rude, ignorant, ill-mannered, and frankly don't have a clue and will tell you anything just to get you to leave them alone. But I've also found that each store is almost completely different, both in their knowledge, their stock, and their willingness to assist customers.

I know it sounds like a pretty grim bunch of sour grapes on my part, but I don't think I've ever been lied to or given as many stories, and excuses in any store as much as I have Home Depot. All that said, I'm not sure who you can blame though, as there appears to be little or no training in my local store. Most people don't know the products, don't know where they are located, don't have a clue if its even something they carry; and in many cases, don't even know what it is you're talking about. Give them a SKU# and you might be okay, but beyond that you're pretty much on your own.

Happy New Year,

CWS
          i agree that a more intensive training is needed before he/she is deployed into HD..

Comment

my wife and i actually have met a few real nice people in the tool coral. so much for trying to play hide and go seek. they rat me out.
            my wife can even locate the overstock above.
            she loves to use the self check out.
            soon we won't need employees except to unlock the doors.

we used to call home depot our friday night date night.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

What is still find funny is that when i go to the tool coral there is one man working there that always shakes his head like to say "Oh no him again". A few months back when i was in serios need of a better drill than my 12v dewalt, i ran into him and he was very helpful. A day or to later i sarted talking about the different brands and talked about getting a radio he led me over to the radios. Well, after me going off about the pro's and con's of each brand and which was the best choice. He then told me "Who's selling the radio to who?"
              Since then I think they put my picture up in the office or something, cause nobody asks me if i need help anymore.

I used to go into HD enough that other shoppers would ask me questions thinking i work there. But sometimes i do know more than the real employees.

My favorite reading materail is the full product catologs for Dewalt, Bosch, Delta, Porter Cable, Matebo, and Greenlee (Electical and Data tools/testers)

Comment

I work in Tools at a Home Depot in Wisconsin. It is a part ime job for me, I am a cabinetmaker during the day. A few years ago I started my job there and there were many others like myself, guys who worked there p/t and had a trades job during the day. The job paid us extremely well, especially for p/t work. We had fun at work, yes we BSed in the dept alot, until a customer needed help.

Then a new store manager came in, and along with him a new HR came in. Hiring stopped, and respect for the employees stopped. I just restarted a few months ago, and it is not the same as it was before. There are still a few god guys to talk to, but there are alot more idiots who are just there for a paycheck. Wages for p/t have drastically gone down (I got back in at my previous wage) and along with that morale has gone down. The latest manager to be hired in the store came from a different retail store altogether. He doesnt know a thing about anything in the store, except how to "manage" They are so concerned with the bottom line that they dont keep enough employees on and then give us huge to do lists, along with customers, and the "I needed this done yesterday" work that always comes up, leading to our reputation of poor customer service.

There is a lack of communication as far as training goes and it could be better. Every month there are training classes to be taken, but they are usually some store operations related item, or an oddball item thats not even in the dept you work in. We could definately use more specs on the products we are selling. I have my brands or items that I like, and most customers agree with me when I give them my opinions, because I have used many of the items I sell. When I dont know anything about a product I am also honest about it.

I am not complaining at all. I like my job at HD (I hope Nardelli is reading this ) I work there for the money and the fun of it. 90% of the time Im happy to be there (usually gets me out of trips to the in-laws)

Comment

Wow, only slightly better than a trip to visit the in-laws, you're not putting working at HD too high on your list are you?
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

(I hope Im not going too far off topic to rant here)

The latest thing that is messed up with our store (I heard its a corporate thing so probably elsewhere too) is that there was nothing being ordered for stock. One night I had a guy come in looking for a drywall screwdriver. He looked at the Ridgid and was set on getting it when he asked me for one. We looked in the overstock, none! Then he said he would take the DeWalt, none again. Im sure he ended up down the road at Menards after that, since Lowes hasnt gotten close enough to our store YET

Hmmm maybe I should change my name here in order to be less recognizable.

Comment

I'm not surprised by the lack of stock or about Home Depot's concern for thier "bottom line". In the last year, and especially the last few months I've seen some things that left me wondering where their heads are at.

Last spring I bought a Ryobi corded saber saw. Ryobi had announced the new product five or six month ealier and it took about three months for my local (Corning, NY) store to get one. A display model went on the shelf, but no stock was under it. After about two weeks the display model disappeared. I waited to see when the thing would show up and after about six or seven weeks, there was a $50 "limited time" sale price posted... but still NO saw. So I grabbed an "orange apron" and asked if they had any of these Ryobi Sabre Saws. Well, he tracked down the dept manager, who told us that Ryobi didn't make such a thing... and then he went into the "show me" mode. Well I showed him the display, and he then went into the "discontinued mode" and walked away. The original sales guy then found another orange apron to handle me and then left. Well, this third guy went all out. He went to the computer which said they had six of them and then he grabbed another guy and they went looking. It took them about twenty more minutes, but they found two.... well actually, they found one, and an empty case (we figured that must of been for the original, still missing, display model. I bought the one they had and it was at least two months before they finally got stock.

Then back in November, I walked in and found the new Ryobi TS1341 10" miter saw on sale for $59. I hadn't been looking for a miter saw, didn't really need one, but for $59... how could I pass that up. They had eight of them and within an hour, they were all gone. I did buy the last one.

But funny thing was that the older TS1340 was in the display area, but there wasn't any stock under the table. A couple of days after the sale was over (and long after they had sold all the TS1341's, they found the TS1340s (about ten of them). Well, those were regularly priced at $99. A few weeks later Ridgid's Finished Carpenters Combo went on sale on the web for $200 (it was still $250 in the store), but the local store honored the web price and I brought back the TS1341 and bought the Ridgid combo (really good deal). Then in January, the Ridgid combo was put on "clearance" in the store and the price was $175. I got them to take another $25 off my receipt (even a better deal).

They also had a pre-Christmas Ryobi 6" bench grinder. $24 for the brand new model. Again, the old model was on display, but the new model is what got sold. After the holidays, they had the old model at the regular price ($49 I believe), they had only a couple of them, but had none of the new model.

Well, here we are in early February and the TS1341 that I brought back is now on display and is selling for $99. But the older TS1340's they've moved out on the aisle (away from the display) and set it up like it was a feature and they're also selling for $99. (????) They also still have about three of the Ridgid combo's, but they are now back at $250, so I guess it wasn't a clearance. Same is true of the Ryobi planer.... marked "clearance" for $150 in January, when they had no stock. Now they have three and the price is back to normal. But at least the old grinders are gone and the new ones are on the shelf.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me like they're a bit confused and selling off the new stuff at clearance prices and then putting the older stuff back on the shelves at regular prices. A bit strange I think.

CWS

Comment

A couple of weeks ago I went into HD with the intention of purchasing the Ridgid DP1550. All I wanted was a sales person to come up and ask if I needed assistance. At my HD the power tools are located directly across from the self-checkout lines so the orange apron at the booth there could directly see me. They could have easily called for someone to check on me. I walked up and down those two aisles for about an hour just waiting to be approached. If fact I was there long enough that I figured they would of at least had someone around me to make sure I wasn't shoplifting. This is a brand new store that has opened also so you might have expected the employees to put forth a little bit of effort. Such was not the case. Needless to say, they lost a $280 sale that day and whereas that won't break them, they have to understand that if everyone is treated in the same manner their sales will suffer. It's a shame that I still can usually find most everything that I need there that I can't boycott them altogether.
                        If your head is wax, don't walk in the sun.
                        -Ben Franklin

Comment

As for employee knowledge, you have to know how HD thinks. If I need assistance with anything in plumbing I just go to the paint department. There is a retired Plumber working that dept. and can tell me everything I need. I go to the outdoor shop for my electrical needs, that is where the Ex-Electrition works. LOL
                          info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

I usually don't rely on any employee help, I've gotten to know the store better then most of them anyway.

But I did get some help when I was shopping for cordless tools during the Xmas sale. A guy working in the tool dept told me about the Ridgid LSA and how good the tools were etc.

So once in a while they can be helpful, even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Comment

There is a reason for the madness....

I was talking with a HD guy today and he was annoyed about he their are constant changes from day to day in having some item put out on clearance and then put away and then brought out a day later.... They do have meetings but they are mainly management things.. When this guy say me come in he said i should get a pass or an apron since i am in there so much. The plumber looking for the 5pc set was getting annoyed because he couldn't find the impact driver in the set. We found it hidden under a shelf near the saws.

I kept walking then i ran in to some neighbors who wondered why some can lights cost a bit more than the others. I then explained that NON IC means it can't be in contact with insulation and that the ic could be but I'd still be sure it had berating space. (one home in park city we had to clear all the insulation away from the cans since they were always over heating. They were IC rated! But some fiberglass insulation was put right on top of the light and then the blow it insulation covered that and caused the problem.)

I typed really fast so hope it makes sence...

Comment

Working...
                              X