X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You gotta be kidding!!

Looking on eBay I came across this Craftsman router up for sale.

Oh, and it's a Craftsman Commercial model, must be one of the good ones

This is a very old router. I know as I bought one back in the early 80's. In fact I still have it sitting in a box of junk tools to go to the dump, the bearing finally went after about 18 years of use.

This actually was a decent router and had a good, accurate depth adjustment system and the dual-handle grips were comfortable. It had an accessory light that mounted on the side and was powered by 2 AA batteries. You can see the mounting holes for the light in the photo, they are just to the left of the locking knob below the power cord. Mine came with (or I bought as an accessory, don't remember) an edge guide. It is basically the same design used by PC and Milwaukee on their 'precision' or 'micro-adjustable' edge guides. It's amazing how all these ideas resurface as "new" 20 or so years later.

OK, now for the funny part, this guy has the bid starting at $99 with a Buy-it-Now price of $125 !!! IS HE NUTS OR WHAT? Unless he is selling this for its antique value, it's not worth even $25. Heck, I will GIVE YOU MINE, you pay shipping (micro-adjustable edge guide extra )!!
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

You gotta be kidding

Bob D. You know what P.T. Barnum said--"There's a sucker born every minute". Maybe he is searching for "that one". But, Gee, if his is worth that much, I have a Stanley I bought in the early 60's--AND IT STILL WORKS!! I could probably trade it for a new boat. :-)

Comment

Ebay amazes me sometimes. Great deals and horrible ones to. My sister is having a baby and my wife and I were buying her a baby chair that hooks onto any table. it went for 37 dollars used with 10 dollars shipping.

Total price on ebay 47 dollars used

Total price brand new from Target 19.95 + tax

glad I researched before making the purchase.

Comment

Agreed, researching prices is the only intelligent way to buy or invest in anything. Sometimes one has no choice in a pinch but usually there is no reason to jump on the first "deal" that comes along.

Personally I have yet to find anything new from the factory cheaper on the net than i have in a brick and mortar store. I've seen pictures on the auction sites but I don't trust them as a good source for tools or anything else of tangible value.
        Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

"Life is hard, and when you're stupid, it's even harder!" (quote from an old movie I think).

But one of the remarkable things about E-bay (and this holds true for many bargain retailers too), is that almost everybody is looking for a "deal" and far too many are just too lazy or ignorant to know a bargain from a ripoff. I've heard many stories and seen a few directly where folks will simply go to the local store or garage sale and buy items that they will post on E=bay and sell at higher prices. All too many times, the buyer could simply go to a similar store and buy it cheaper. Just E-bay make it easier to throw your money away I guess.

CWS

Comment

I find it funny to look at the tools that are sold on e-bay. And it is very true that people are looking to make a profit of e-bay. for example the Ridgid 12 gal shop vac and the 3/8 18v drill. day after sale ends e-bay is flooded with them and the lowest price is $99 plus shipping. You can buy an item for .01 and pay 25 dollars shipping!

The Star wars millenium falcon lego set was on sale for $50 I wanted one since i am a collecter. They sold out and e-bay was flooded with them for the next week after that! i have a rain check for it but target has removed it from their website and the lego website says to check your local retailer. So if you don't beat the E-bayers to what you want you're screwed. I wonder if they even sale ticket for sporting events? Hey kids can you say online scalping!

I had my stupid moment when i bought some stuff on e-bay. I got a few corded drills for my dad and now I'm worried it will die after it's first use. But on the other hand my dad is really hard on tools, he'll either destroy it by accident or lose it.

I also "won" a router bit set for .99 and paid 14.99 for shipping. Even if they if they do break on my I still paid less than at a store, but you do get what you pay for.
            "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
            "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

For the heck of it, I went to Sears parts website and looked up the price of replacement bearings, that's If they were still available. Don't ya know they still had them in stock and both upper and lower bearings were less than $15. I decided this thing might be worth fixing so I opened it up to see what I could see.

Only the lower bearing was bad but I decided if I was going to replace one might as well do both. The brushes were about half gone so I got those too for $2 each.

Typical Sears sent the parts in THREE UPS shipments (I only paid the one shipping charge which was like $5). The parts must have come from three different warehouses as they had different origination points on the shipping labels, probably cost them more to ship the stuff than they made in profit. Oh well, that's on them.

After the last shipment arrived with the brushes I had the router back together in about a half hour and running good as new. No more screaming bearing

So now, for $20 (shipping included) I have another router. It's only 1HP and 1/4" collet, but I can leave it set up with a round over bit that I commonly use and not have to tear down a setup in one of the other routers. Hey, and this router has a nice light that mounts on the side...IF I can remember where I put it

I did locate the edge guide for it though, so I got that working for me.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              ---------
              ---------

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D.
                I will GIVE YOU MINE, you pay shipping (micro-adjustable edge guide extra )!!
                I'LL TAKE IT!!
                Lorax
                "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Hey Lorax,

You shudda spoke up sooner before I found it was worth fixing

I used it today, worked fine. It's not a super duper router, but it will work OK for what I am using it for.
                  ---------------
                  ---------------
                  ---------
                  ---------

Comment

Hey Lorax,

You shudda spoke up sooner before I found it was worth fixing

I used it today, worked fine. It's not a super duper router, but it will work OK for what I am using it for.
                    ---------------
                    ---------------
                    ---------
                    ---------

Comment

i found a porter cable router with plung base and table that it mounts to for like 175 dollars on ebay, th guy sed it is bran new, he just set it up in his shop and never used it, is that a good deal?

Comment

Give us the eBay item number so we can look at it and give you a better opinion on it, or at least tell us what model the router is and who made the table and the model.

You can get the PC693VSK (I think that's the correct model for the kit) for about $199 new from Amazon and other places. This is one PC690 variable speed 1-3/4 HP router motor with two bases, one fixed and one plunge. Sometimes you can also get with this kit the PC edge guide which is a nice one.
                        ---------------
                        ---------------
                        ---------
                        ---------

Comment

Working...
                        X