X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handyman Club Of America

Has anyone ever heard of this club or is a member? I got some stuff in the mail from them yesterday. It sounds like a good deal.
    SSG, U.S. Army
    Retired
    K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

I was a member for about a year (around 2 or 3 years ago). The magazine had a few interesting articles in them, but that was about all. I got a super cheap tool or product to test every 6 months or so (one was a cheap speed square and another was a bottle of another company version of WD-40). I understand you need to be a member for MANY years to get to test the better stuff.

The thing I mostly did not like was that they would send a book every month and if you kept it you bought it (don't remember the exact price, but think it was about $20 each?) or you could send it back. They were supposed to enclose a sticker inside each package to send it back at their cost, but almost never had one myself so I had to hot glue them back up and mark refused to send them back without paying more of my money. I did not care for those troubles and many of the books were not that useful to me. After calling them I found that you must get the books every month to be a member, whether or not you decide to keep them. Personally I would recommend that you spend your money on a more useful subscription to a more dedicated magazine.
    Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

Thanks that is what I needed to know. As always if it sounds to good to be true it isn't.
      SSG, U.S. Army
      Retired
      K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Plastic doo-dads r us

Originally posted by TOD
        Has anyone ever heard of this club or is a member? I got some stuff in the mail from them yesterday. It sounds like a good deal.
        Most serious woodworkers consider it a JOKE !
        Lorax
        "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

They are a serious and dedicated company. They are seriously dedicated to seperate you from your money by providing as little as possible in return! Send the $10 or $12 or whatever it is they charge to your favorite charity instead.

At least twice a year, I receive a mailing from them inviting me to become a "charter member". This has been going on for 6 or 7 years now. Just how long does it take to get that Club started anyway?
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Yes, if only I had been smart enough to not listen to my "less serious" friends I could have saved a few bucks for sure. I'll just chalk that one up to a life lessoned learned. Having joined some of these forums I have gotten way more good information than I ever did from any of those magazines!

WWS
            Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

Hey, I love their mailings... not so much because I'll ever join, but they keep sending me these plastic drill guides! My grandson loves them, for drawing circles.

I haven't found a use for the stickers yet.

Other than that, you're better off saving your "book" money for something of better quality.

CWS

Comment

Those aren't drill guides, they're spaghetti sizers. I use the mailing label stickers on HF 10% and 20% off coupons instead of writing all that info out. Kinda seems fitting dontcha think?
                Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

other magazines?

Do you have any suggestios for magazines? I've gotten some good information / tips / plans from Wood, Woodworker's Journal, and American Woodworker (I think).

Anyone else have some good suggestions?

Thanks!
                  -Chris

Comment

I subscribe to Wood and Workbench.
                    Lorax
                    "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

i get work bench and i think it has some good info at times and i get handy man club . they to have some good info at times
                      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

I like ShopNotes for all the jigs, tips, and shop projects.
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

My grandmother bought me Family Handyman for 2 years. After that time was up I renewed. Every year I learned how to make a new shed, reorganize my garage, hang molding, build a deck or a patio. After my 4th year I cancelled. There magazine was useful for ideas for a year, but then they just keep rewriting the same articles.

The goofs were always good though.

Comment

I have a young man live with us who helps out in my shop. He joined it agianst my advice, wasted his hard earned money . Really I mean he was so proud of his Handyman of America sticker. The magazine was imo useless. Anthony

Comment

Working...
                            X