X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can I use this for?

I'm on my way home this afternoon and I go by a local restaurant supply company that I pass all the time. Most times I go by there I see some kind of wood sitting out by the curb like it is to be thrown away, but not really at the curb so I figure that its not trash.

I go by today and there is a guy loading these wooden boxes in his PU truck. I pull in and ask him what the story is and he says they are trash, just go ask inside if you want some. So I go inside and ask about the boxes, they guy says help your self we will probably have another 40 or 50 next week. I load up 5 which is all I can fit in my PU cause I already have some stuff in the back.

The boxes are roughly 33"W x 27"D x 26"H and made from what looks like 1/4" plywood. Turns out it is 7mm 5ply and what looks like birch but I am not sure. Anyway, the ply is nice stuff, veneer core with no voids and the faces are decent, its like A-B grade on the faces, no plugs or knots or anything on the face (A side), and only slight imperfections on the back (B) face.

These were shipping boxes for ovens. I don't know where they originated from but it was not in the USA going by the shipping label. Strange thing was there was no originating country on the boxes, just a destination of NY, USA and who they were being shipped to, a national mini market chain (can you say "Oh Thank Heaven..." ? ).

So, after I cut the metal angle off the corners I am left with the following for each box:

(2) 25" x 30" Top/Bottom pieces
    (2) 24" x 25" Short Side pieces
    (2) 24" x 30" Long Side pieces

I have 5 boxes so far, if I get another dozen or 20 boxes I will have a nice pile of these plywood pieces.

If I don't cut them all up what could I use the boxes for? I have the lids which are reuseable using the existing metal fasteners. With the reinforced metal angle in the corners they are fairly sturdy. I will try to remember to get a photo tomorrow.
    Last edited by Bob D.; 01-26-2006, 07:17 PM.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Isn't it obvious?

You should be able to make some real nice shipping boxes out of that plywood. Happy to help!
    Lorax
    "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

You are always good for a laugh Lorax, thanks.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      ---------
      ---------

Comment

I'm not sure if that's a compliment or not.
        Lorax

Comment

Ya never know
          ---------------
          ---------------
          ---------
          ---------

Comment

Let's see, if I had that wood: I need to make cases for my chisels, my planes, my hand saws, my router bits, etc. Or, if your attic or storage shed is like mine, I could always use standard size boxes to put all that "stuff" in that "Might" be of some use another day.
            By the way, its probably Luan plywood which holds up good if finished with a waterproof finish. If it gets wet, it will probably delaminate as most of the glue used in the orient and Philippines isn't exterior grade.
            Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

years ago and some times now i still recycle things , the wife has other words for this [pack rat , scrounge , Dumpster diver , etc ] but when my kids were younger i made a 10x10x7ft high play house out of crates from roof top ac units . all i had to pay for was the roof shingles.
              because I'm all those things my wife calls me i very really need a hardware store. i some times [ a lot ] bring home things i do not know what I'm going to do with it but it is to good to throw away.
              one mans junk is another mans treasure.
              Last edited by HVAC HAWK; 01-26-2006, 09:45 PM.
              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Amen, brother!
                Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

But seriously folks

You could use them for drawer bottoms or cabinet backs or you could make 2 of these sandpaper storage bins

or a bunch of these magazine holders.

Lorax

Comment

Drawer bottoms is one thing I had thought of. Cabinet backs is one I hadn't though. Some cases for tools is also good.

I don't think its Luan, I have seen and used plenty of Luan and this is much lighter in color (almost white) and the grain is tighter.
                    ---------------
                    ---------------
                    ---------
                    ---------

Comment

Somewhere a homeless person is looking for a box.
                      SSG, U.S. Army
                      Retired
                      K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

yeah right..

Comment

Just Another Idea...

BTW,
                          Keep an eye out for the various music stores that deal in pianos and organs. Piano crates are very nice plywood crates. Most of the Japanese imports still use mahoghany and sometimes the European brands are very high quality woods also. Even the bolts that hold the piano to the crate frame are well worth recycling.

Just my $0.02.
                          Phil
                          Tools Rule

Comment

How about Magazine storage boxes?
                            Bob
                            SCBOB

Comment

"How about Magazine storage boxes?"

Ya know that's not a bad idea. I remember seeing a short article in one of the woodworking mags about making storage boxes for magazines, I think they used 3/8" solid wood and not plywood, but I don't see why I could not make it work with the ply. I might have to give that a try. Thanks
                              ---------------
                              ---------------
                              ---------
                              ---------

Comment

Working...
                              X