X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ryobi beats Milwaukee

Milwaukee is the biggest POS drill I have ever tried, and I have tried them all. I bought the 18 volt hammerdrill recently just to check it out and I absolutely could not believe how poorly it performed - it couldnt hold the bit to save its pathetic life and the motor actually started smoking after just a few seconds of drilling into concrete. Convinced I bought a defective drill, I took it back after 10 minutes of "usage" to Home Depot and returned to the worksite with a new one, which to my amazement acted exactly like the first! and to think this "product" is priced similarly to Dewalt, Makita and Ridgid (exchanged it for the 18 volt hammerdrill, which I am very happy with so far), absolutely unbelievable.

Don’t know how to reply to that one, Milwaukee has a long-standing reputation of manufacturing world-class drills and to get two defective ones is highly unlikely but anything is possible. I only own four Milwaukee tools and I haven’t been able to kill them, matter of fact, they all perform terrific and I wouldn’t hesitate to spend my money on more Milwaukee products.

Woodslayer

Comment

Out of most of the cordless drills i fix i think that milw. are built the best.the transmission and clutch assembly are solid as for the motors there are very good but as corless goes most of the motors are good unless you are buying a cheap drill then you pay for what you get.donot see much ryobi and when i have they all have been a piece of junk.now for the ridgid dont see much since hd swaps out most of them for new ones. now that the same co. owns ryobi,the ridgid powertool line only and milw,i think that you are going to see that they will start to incorperate some of the milw. tech on the other two.mabey ridgids line of corded tools will start to look a little like milwaukees instead of dewalt and metabo.
      A fishing pole is the best cordless tool!

Comment

By the way erikrs,there is a tool forum for milw. were you can vent.they have tech support people that read the forum and just maybe there was a problem with some of the motors on the tool you are upset about.
        A fishing pole is the best cordless tool!

Comment

Okay I believe that ryobi is better than Milwaukee i just returned from a trip with Aliens and they said so.
          Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

I needed a good laugh thanks guys!!

Comment

Break it in !

Why would you not breakin a brand new drill ?

The brushes have not seated to the armature and your pounding on it wondering why it smokes.

It's good practice to always run your new tools with no load to allow the brushes to seat properly before heavy use.

Just a tip. The next time one buys a oil bath air compressor do the same thing. Break it in for half an hour with the drain valve open, then change the oil (which by this time is pure black with metal filings).

Your compressor will last much longer, gauranteed.

Cheers
              Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by erikrs
                Milwaukee is the biggest POS drill I have ever tried, and I have tried them all. I bought the 18 volt hammerdrill recently just to check it out and I absolutely could not believe how poorly it performed - it couldnt hold the bit to save its pathetic life and the motor actually started smoking after just a few seconds of drilling into concrete. Convinced I bought a defective drill, I took it back after 10 minutes of "usage" to Home Depot and returned to the worksite with a new one, which to my amazement acted exactly like the first! and to think this "product" is priced similarly to Dewalt, Makita and Ridgid (exchanged it for the 18 volt hammerdrill, which I am very happy with so far), absolutely unbelievable.
                I have used Milwaukee tools, and every other one for years. I have found Milwaukee to be the best. I would take your advice, but for the following:

I have a problem taking advice from someone who claims to use tools, but does not list their occupation, on their profile.
                the dog

Comment

My Milwaukee router is about the sturdiest tool in the shop. They're one of the number one names amongst people who use and abuse their tools daily. I'd guess your "test" was less than scientific and bit inconclusive to warrant what many feel is an off the wall statement. Not doubting you had some trouble, but am definitely challenging the thread title.

Comment

I have to disagree with that comment. Milwalkee , Ryobi , Ridgid are all made by TTI. Milwalkee is the cadilac of theyre tools. Especially the 28volt. The Ridgid is the Tradesmans version of theyres and the Ryobi is for Joeblow the home owner. I belive all theyre tools are great personally.

Comment

Own boatloads of the silver and red (Milwaukee)

Milwaukees' corded tools are among the best. I would put Milwaukee and Bosch as the only tools in the top category. The cordless tools are not as well built as the corded. They have parts that break easily and their warranty, aside from being a lie, is crap.

If one believes (as I do) that ethics and attitude start at the top (as I do) then one would accept that this extends across all their tool lines (rigid and ryobi). The buyout of Milwaukee was probably a big negative for quality.

I'm not sure that any of the cordless tools are better. They all have their failing. I'm hoping/expecting the new Bosch line of Lithium Ion tools will be primo. We'll have to wait and see.

My tools are professionally abused. Replacement is a regular thing.

Comment

Milwaukee beats Ridgid & Ryobi....................for now

I agree that Milwaukee tools beat Ryobi and Ridgid.............for now, but I saw an article in the paper that Milwaukee is moving cordless tool production from the US to the same Chinese plant the Ryobi and Ridgid come from. They are claiming "ecomonies of scale". Let's wait and see if the "Red Ryobi" are as good as those formerly made in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by plumber
                          Okay I believe that ryobi is better than Milwaukee i just returned from a trip with Aliens and they said so.
                          Agree that RYOBI makes some priced right tools but better than Milwaukee, whoa that's a kick in the pants.

Comment

Don't forget, Ryobi and Milwaukee are made by the same company. Maybe that's why Milwaukee's cordless tools went down hill.

Comment

I know you are talking about cordless hammer drills, but I had to tell all of you this. I have a Milwaukee corded Hammer drill that I bought used from a pawn shop for $10, and it needed a cord. Bought a cord, and it is the best $30 I have spent in years.
                              Last edited by sluggo85024; 06-06-2006, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X