X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid's relationship with HD

This topic has come up more than a few times on several threads. I know there are a few Ridgid employees that pop onto this forum from time to time, any chance that our concerns as consumers get passed along channels to Ridgid execs. If HD is in fact Ridgid's primary outsource of it's product wouldn't they be the most concerned with appealing to the ones that make the purchases. Whatever agreement the two companies have with each other, I would think that Ridgid could insist on areas that HD needs to address. The stocking of Ridgid accessories would be one of those areas. Sure there are other places to come up with accessories that we need but wouldn't it be much more convenient to buy them at the same time as the equipment we would be using it with. I've worked retail before and that is just smart business. It would make sense for HD to want to stock accessories for sale to begin with. Anyone else with thoughts or comments?
    If your head is wax, don't walk in the sun.
    -Ben Franklin

I agree! I really have no idea of how that relationship works, but it does appear that Home Depot has the upper hand and doesn't quite know what to do with many of thier "exclusive" products.

I have several Ridgid and Ryobi tools. While both of these brands are made by Techtronics International (for the most part, but some Ridgid power tools are made by Metabo), they are exclusively carried by Home Depot and often seem to suffer from Home Depot's inability to keep stock, properly display, or carry accessories for. While this isn't always the case, it does seem to be an "all too often" situation.

To add to that, store employees seem to be grossly lacking in understanding of the tools and the relationship. I've had them go out of the way to convince me that I shouldn't buy a Ryobi product. I've also been told that both Ridgid and Ryobi were "owned" by Home Depot and therefore could be returned to the service desk, at any time, for complete replacement and/or servicing. All too often, the store will sell the main tool, but carry none of the "useable" items for the tool. (Like try to buy sanding sleeves for the Ridgid benchtop oscillating sander or blades for either or the Ryobi bandsaws or even 6-inch sanding discs for the Ryobi benchtop sander.) When such items are available, it's usually only one or two items and very little selection. I'm sure that trying to get optional add-ons for the Ridgid drill press or other tools is equally challenging.

Overall, I wish that Ridgid and Ryobi marketing would take a more active roll in the display and stocking of their products. DeWalt and Makita seem to do a better job in my local store, than the "exclusives" do.

CWS

Comment

Some of the sale people at my local HD are not that bad but, when my chuck was jammed and i brought in the drill i was told they can't do anything about it. Luckily a sales rep from TTI was there and i got the location of a service center i can take it to. I wonder why they guy in tools disliked her... was it that she did her job?
      "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
      "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

I have two HD stores that are near equal distance from me. One is a new store that I like to go into because it still has that "fresh clean" look. However in both stores, I have never seen an employee stationed around the power tools to offer assistance yet there can be a half dozen people working in the paint aisle and another three or four standing at the self check-out booth.

Ridgid tools are always prominently displayed, very often on an endcap or centered in the front of the store. But that is just it, all they have are the tools, no accessories. I don't have a lot of experience woodworking or working with power tools to begin with but I am very fond of the Ridgid tools that I do have and use. The thing is, if I need anything for those tools I want to be able to go to the store and get it. I just can't imagine that Ridgid doesn't push for the stores to carry more items or that HD doesn't carry them to begin with to get more in sales.
        If your head is wax, don't walk in the sun.
        -Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by b375rgt
          This topic has come up more than a few times on several threads. I know there are a few Ridgid employees that pop onto this forum from time to time, any chance that our concerns as consumers get passed along channels to Ridgid execs. If HD is in fact Ridgid's primary outsource of it's product wouldn't they be the most concerned with appealing to the ones that make the purchases. Whatever agreement the two companies have with each other, I would think that Ridgid could insist on areas that HD needs to address. The stocking of Ridgid accessories would be one of those areas. Sure there are other places to come up with accessories that we need but wouldn't it be much more convenient to buy them at the same time as the equipment we would be using it with. I've worked retail before and that is just smart business. It would make sense for HD to want to stock accessories for sale to begin with. Anyone else with thoughts or comments?
          i agree.. and dont forget parts and servicings..

Comment

What accessories do you want to buy that Home Depot does not carry???

They do have Ridgid circular saw blades and miter saw blades, oh wait, they are made by Freud.

But the do have those Ridgid "spauger" (spade + auger) bits, oh wait, those are made by Irwin.

Oh, they have those Ridgid cobalt drill bits, oh wait, those are made by Blu-Mol.

I got it, they have the Ridgid band-saw blades, oh wait, those are made by Vermont American.

Are eyes being opened??? Ridgid doesn't make a full line that Home Depot is choosing not to carry. Or are there certain accessories that Home Depot does not carry regardless of brand?
            I don't work for Ridgid and I don't work for Home Depot but I likely know more about both than someone who works at either.

Comment

Working...
            X