X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid warranty issue

One of my Ridgid shop vacs (1of4) recently died. Normally I would just can it and purchase a new one but one of my employees advised me that Ridgid warrants its vacs for "life". I attempted to return the unit to Home Depot and explained the problem. After an assistante manager spent 20 minutes looking over the vac, he told me it looked used and wore out! I explained that I run a engineering/construction Company and yes it was used as were most of my tools including the $15000.00+ of equiptment I purchased from his store over the last year. I made no secret that I was a Contractor or that the unit was over a year old. His response was that the Vac was only warranted against manufacturing defects and not use. I do not know where they fine these people but life is too dam short to deal with them. I acknowledged his excuse, closed our account and walked across the street where Lowes happly agreed to service our $500000.00+ a year in purchases. Do you ever feel your on the Titanic running to the bridge to find the Captain and find Elmer Fudd at the wheel! I'm still not sure that this "almost manager" fully undertstands how loseing our business affects his salary.
    DMB

ActLTD,

Seems like the poor guy didn't have a clue! Too bad his quick response cost HD your business.

But, regarding your warranty and the Ridgid shop vac. The "Full Lifetime Warranty" that Ridgid provides with it's shop vacs is stated as:

"RIDGID tools are warranted to be free of defects in workmanship and material."

"This warranty lasts for the lifetime of the RIDGID too. Warranty coverage ends when the product becomes unusable for reasons other than defects in workmanship or material."

It goes on to state that the tool needs to be shipped "prepaid" to the Ridge Tool Company in Elyria, Ohio or to any authorized Ridgid independant service center, where it will be either repaired or replaced at Ridgid's option. What is NOT covered is "failures due to abuse or normal wear and tear".

So, it is covered to some degree, but what determines if the motor burned out prematurely or was simply a matter of normal wear and tear; or determines that the product is unuseable for reasons other than defects and workmanship? (Like maybe it fell of the 28th floor of a highrise or was incinerated?) In any case, Home Depot IS NOT the place to handle the repair or determination whether or not the unit is covered. I think I'd simply call your nearest Ridgid service center or Ridgid Customer Support and inquire about the vac.

For what it's worth,

CWS

Comment

Thanks for your reply

CWS
      Thank you for your response. Do to frustration I neglected to state in my original post that after reading the warranty and calling Ridgid customer service, where I was told to return it to a service center OR a Home Depot store for replacement, whichever was nearer to my location, I elected the store for logistic reasons. I fully understand the verbage in their warranty but am noplused by the fact that their store mismanger made his dicision based on the appearance of "paint splatter" on the body of the unit and made no attempt to either open or start the vac to make an intelligent observation as to the cause of the defect. Have We used the vac for the purpose it was intented, YES. My problem is two fold. One, the store personel I encountered were not qualified to do a correct inspection to determine fault and their warranty is so subjective that to leave one wondering if it was by design.....
      Either way, as I said, life is too short to deal with this type of individual or Company. I'm sure that Home Depot won't miss my business and I will sleep better not having to look into their eyes and see through to the back of their heads.
      DMB

Comment

I understand. The warranty statement is rather ambiguous for sure. It reminds me of a post that I read a while ago, where it was reasoned that the warranty "did not cover a problem" because of "wear and tear"... Obviously, the unit had been turned on, and therefore it was possible that it just plain wore itself out.

Regarding your thoughts about the particular individual, an old friend of mine had a label for that, "Like looking into the eyes of and incredibly dumb dog!"

Does make one wonder how some people manage to stay employed, doesn't it?

CWS

Comment

I want to make clear that my opinion of Home Depot employees is judged on an individual basis and I have no platform against the Company as a whole. We all have to make an honest living, however I am constantly amazed at the business acumen displayed at the so called "management" level. If a customer complained about a nonfuntional $75.00 tool and had purchased in excess of $1,000,000. in supplies over the past number of years, maybe it's just me, but I would give him the dam thing and smile all the way to the bank! Maybe thats why I do not make the big bucks. I find myself much more surprised by the lack of professionalism in employees who stay longer then 6 months. Maybe their putting something in the air!

DMB
          DMB

Comment

we have encountered people pointing out the the so called "wear and tear" in the warranty is so subjective.. and its true.. normally some people wouldnt even bother to read the small print anyway..

Comment

Requested reply

I would like to be fair to the Home Depot and have them explain to me the correct interpetation of their warranty as it pretains to "wear&tear". I feel it would be more direct and less confusing to all if they simply backed their products for a set period of time without any exclusions. As a Contractor, I realize all equiptment has a finite lifespan. I fully expect to replace tools as they wear out due to use. I do not expect any tool to last forever, however I fully expect the people I do business with to stand behind their WORD. The Home Depot needs to stop the "double speak" and stand up and be counted on to honor their word, no excuses or lame attempts to sidestep the issue. Unless the Home Depot addresses this matter in a more professional way they will fall to another startup more resolute in meeting the needs of their Customers. If they think this can't happen maybe they should go speak with some of the now unemployed management from Hechengers, Channel and Builders Square. They were deft to this as well.

DMB
              DMB

Comment

Requested reply

I would like to be fair to the Home Depot and have them explain to me the correct interpetation of their warranty as it pretains to "wear&tear". I feel it would be more direct and less confusing to all if they simply backed their products for a set period of time without any exclusions. As a Contractor, I realize all equiptment has a finite lifespan. I fully expect to replace tools as they wear out due to use. I do not expect any tool to last forever, however I fully expect the people I do business with to stand behind their WORD. The Home Depot needs to stop the "double speak" and stand up and be counted on to honor their word, no excuses or lame attempts to sidestep the issue. Unless the Home Depot addresses this matter in a more professional way they will fall to another startup more resolute in meeting the needs of their Customers. If they think this can't happen maybe they should go speak with some of the now unemployed management from Hechengers, Channel and Builders Square. Stop trying to win Customers by confusion and rely more on honesty and knowledge, they may stick around longer!

DMB
                DMB

Comment

correction

Please excuse the amended reply.

DMB
                  DMB

Comment

Home Depot and Lowes are soon going to expand themselves to death. There are currently two of each within a 15 minute drive of my home and another of each already contracted for construction this year. Within a 45 minute drive of my home there are at least 4 more of each that I know of. Throw in a T&S and a few Rural Kings and I don't see where there are enough customers to keep these big boxes open.

Given the the wages offered to staff these stores the competence level is not going to get better. People with the knowledge and expertise to properly staff these places are not going to work for a bag of peanuts and a song and they shouldn't have to.
                    Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

Great joke

If you have a few bucks to waste, read the book written by one of the founders of Home Depot. Read it, then walk the isles of their store and you'll wonder what this guy was smokin! Great entertainment! You'll wet your pants.

DMB
                      DMB

Comment

warranty center

I am in the process of becoming a warranty center,it will be a joint effort since i donot have a store front and my good friend has a hardware store,he will be the store and i will fix the tools. i found it interesting when tti told me that lowes and home depot were authorized warranty centers.now why on earth would they not have repair centers in these stores,that would only be a good thing for each of the stores,but they send the repairs out and that will only be a great thing for my bud's store,since he carries alot of plumbing and electrical supplies.
                        A fishing pole is the best cordless tool!

Comment

Working...
                        X