X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drop-in Range to Stand-alone Range

My 30+ year old GE oven finally bit the bullet. Gotta replace it. It's a 27" (nominal) drop-in unit. That is, it is supported by an opening in the counter that acts as cleats, with about 3" air space concealed on each side. It is suspended off of the floor, with a kickplate to close the opening below. I want to remove this oven and replace it with a 30" free-standing unit. What I would like to do is carefully cut the countertop material and apply an edging that matches the rest of the cabinetry, as well as carefully removing front "carcase" parts. Theoretically, my new oven would simply slide into the new opening. Sounds pretty straight-foward to me, but I wonder what pitfalls I might run into in this process. Has anyone had any experience doing what I want to do, or something like it? By the way, I am an avid baker, and I sure do miss my oven. Breads just aren't the same coming out of my smaller convection oven. Thanks so much... EdP
    I will NEVER forget.....umm...

I did exactly what you are talking about. The hardest part was cutting the counter top against the wall behind the old range. Also the floor will not be finished under the old range. If you have a jigsaw, sawsall. and back saw you should be ok.
    SSG, U.S. Army
    Retired
    K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

I have spent many years remodeling and have done this job many times. E-mail me with the info on what kind of counter material, edging, cabinet material etc. and I will try to answer every question for you.

Jim

Comment

Have done this also. As well as probably having to cover or level the floor under the existing stove, you'll probably need to put a 220v outlet on the end of the power supply. Most "drop-ins" are hard wired. When you buy the new stove, you will probably need to buy the power cord, so make sure it matches what you install for the outlet (3 wire or 4 wire). If it will be a used stove, or has a cord installed, check the power cord plug before buying the outlet.
        They also sell "slide-in" stoves, which look like a stand alone and sit on the floor, but don't have the fancy sides. That might be cheaper than a stand alone.
        The most critical thing is to make sure the new stove will fit into the gap you cut. When I did my brothers house, the drop-in was smaller than normal, so I had to also make ends for the cabinets on both sides after I cut the slot for the 30" new stove.
        When cutting down to the floor and up to the wall or existing flash board, a dovetail or backing saw will work, but it can be tedious going through a 3/4" counter top. be it MDF or plywood.
        Good luck
        Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Working...
        X