The air quality on the job!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The air quality on the job!!!

I have nothing against others making a choice to smoke, but since the walls have gone up on the outside of the building, I have started having problems. For weeks now i have been a second hand smoker. At one time i could run 3 miles in 18 minutes 47 seconds I weigh 215 lbs. Now i have to stop not even a quarter of a mile to take a breather. After years of fighting with asthma i am back where i started. I'm going to talk to the general tomorrow and hope to see some change.

What are your feelings about this?
    I feel it is my right to breath clean air (as clean as the air in Utah is these days).
    Some people will say that if you don't like it you don't have to work there but I have never been on a job where nobody is smoking. You are put in jail for killing someone but if you do it slowly no one cares......??????
    "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
    "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

i see your only 23 wait until you get in your late 40's

i know what you mean i quit smoking 16 yrs ago and hate it if i have to work in a place were people smoke. yesterday one was one of those days.
    this was in a place were they build metal statues and they grind them all day. i think 99% of the people smoke there when they are not grinding .

my nose is all clogged up to day ,not a good day
    one other job I'm doing the general has no smoking in the building from start to finish. the smoke gets into the drywall and ceiling tile , and even after the new paint and carpet the smell is still there .

people how smoke can not smell that so they will say it is not true

in pa i do not think there is a law that makes job sites a no smoking zone ?
    i think it in the works for no smoking in public palaces
    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Air Quality...

Oh man, don't get me started. As a reformed smoker, my politics on this tend to be a bit extreme. I think smokers need to get over the habit, period!
      I did it many years ago (with the patch before you could even buy it - sort of as a test subject) and I don't even want to hear excuses that they "can't".
      Give me a break.
      Most of the jobsites around here have been "Tobacco Free" zones. They don't want even the dippers there!
      It would not hurt my feelings if we banned tobacco entirely, along the same lines as any other addictive substance.

If I were the owner of a major construction job, I would not hire any smoker. They tend to wate a bunch of time with their habit, not to mention leaving a pigpen smell on everything.
      Phil
      Tools Rule

Comment

ok i am a smoker so i will try not to be rude and if i come off this way i am sorry for that.1st i smoke on the the job but i do it with respect and this is how i only light up if everyone else is smoking,if they are not smoking then i ask if it will ofened anyone if i do also as soon as the frist drop of paint hits the walls i am done i will then only smoke outside.2nd if some one is being a cry baby then i do it to just be an *** here is an example"say some one asks me please dont smoke it bothers me i will do that but now if i catch that person in a bar and the smoke is thick in a bar everyone knows that that person had better not ever ask me not to smoke again"it is things like that that really burn me up in a bad way but in the last ten years the non smokers have really gotten out of hand imo but that is fine times they are a changing and i am not afraid of of change and polar sparky you seem to be a hell of a nice guy from what i have read from you over the past few months but you got into the trades that are known for haveing the largest number of smokers drinkers drug users so do not be suprized if you are met with alot of resistens
        9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

With all the solvents, glues, caulking and other toxic fumes on a jobsite along with the 30 or 40 different dangerous dusts kicked up during construction cigarrette smoke is the easiest to eliminate (if you are not currently addicted). However, that being said and as a life long smoker who finally quit cold turkey about 4 years ago I understand the urge and the urgency of the smoker to satisfy the craving. Even now I still find my left hand raising to my shirt pocket for a smoke when I am going over prints or planning a new route to avoid elevation conflicts overlooked by the engineers (room for an entire new thread on that subject).

If someone is suffering from asthma then I highly reccomend they consider a different area of the plumbing industry other than new construction. if a cigarette helps a man think more clearly or keeps their nerves calm then I personally have little problems with it. If they are constantly lighting up one after another then it becomes a different story.

I whole heartedly agree that during the trim out phase or after the base drywall has been completed then a smart general would require smoking to be done outside.
          Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

Way to go Plumber

Way to go Plumber, 4 years. I did the same (quit cold turkey) but only about 18 months ago. As you say I too find myself craving a smoke at times. That's why I keep a pack of gum close by. The worst time for me is when driving. I am glad I quit, and hope I never go back.
            "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

----

Time, cost, or quality; pick any two but you can't have all three.

Comment

like i said i quit 16yrs ago , i to did it cold Turkey and glad i did it to. at the time i was on a big job and a lot of grubbing cigarettes and when some one ask me one to many times and thats what i needed to quit . so i took the pack and crushed it in front of him and said i quit. and thats the last time i even thought about having one. it took my wife 3 month's to quit.

i do not mined if some one smokes as long as the smoke is not in my face

and to help you to get over the cravings just think of the cost ,and i will tell you food taste a lot better

some thing to look forward to
              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Thank you to all those that don't smoke on the job site or at least near others!!!

A few of my co-workers are getting annoyed as well with the air inside. We have one that smokes but he sill go outside for a bit.

" If someone is suffering from asthma then I highly recommend they consider a different area of the plumbing industry other than new construction. if a cigarette helps a man think more clearly or keeps their nerves calm then I personally have little problems with it. If they are constantly lighting up one after another then it becomes a different story."

I have tracked some cigarette butts home before from work. it gets dropped in the mud and stuck in my boot tread. one time i went to church and after an hour i look at my shoe and found a wet cigarette stuck to it. I must of feel of my boot on the drive home. I track dirt, mud, screws, and now cigarettes home. Isn't there a better habit to get into that doesn't leave garbage all over?

Sorry if that doesn't come across right but really if we make an effort to keep things (our lungs and the floor) clean then we have less problems and less work in the future.

I may be a young punk kid but in 70 years I'll still be able to do most of the things i do now.

Comment

Sparky,

Being in Utah there are probably fewer smokers there than elsewhere. I use to say quitting smoking is easy as I do it all the time. I would quit for as much as a year at a time and then start up again. It wasn't until I got serious and went cold turkey back in 1987 that I realized how bad smoking is. Stick to your guns and stand your ground. You have the right to breath fresh air.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D.
                    ...I keep a pack of gum close by. The worst time for me is when driving. I am glad I quit, and hope I never go back.
                    Aw, come on Bob,
                    You can break the gum habit too! That is the next most disgusting habit, next to smoking.

Gum would be my next product to be banned.
                    Phil
                    Tools Rule

Comment

Wow Phil. That is the first time I have heard gum referred to as a disgusting habit! Bad experience in the past? Gum on the shoe? I would think that as long as the gum is disposed of properly there isn't anything wrong with chewing gum. Certainly better than many other things us humans put in bodies, a good stress relief for some, fun for others and not that unhealthy to said gum chewer or at all to those around them.

Of course I speak from experience of being a previous smoker and then transitioning to the much worse habit of dipping when I was flying all over the place which made it harder to get my nicotine fix. Now I am working on kicking that nasty habit (as I look into the eyes of my son and hope he will be a better person than me and I try to lead by example).

WWS
                      Last edited by wwsmith; 02-20-2006, 12:17 PM.
                      Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

Originally posted by wwsmith
                        Wow Phil. That is the first time I have heard gum referred to as a disgusting habit! Bad experience in the past? Gum on the shoe? I would think that as long as the gum is disposed of properly....
                        WWS
                        Anyone ever notice all those black splotches on the sidewalk at the local convenience store?
                        Those are all from gum chewers who don't dispose of properly. I've seen people just spit out their gum as though the problem will just take care of itself.
                        Maybe it's just me, but I have a problem with those who leave their DNA just lying around for others to step in, or clog toilets etc.
                        Phil
                        Tools Rule

Comment

Nicotine is a chemical hazard. Chewed gum is a biohazard. I guess a cigarette butt is both.
                          Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

LOL, I guess you are right. I remember the first time I went to Singapore for work and got kicked out of a taxi because I was chewing gum. Later I was told it is illegal to do in any public place, and I guess I can see where Phil is coming from. That is one clean island and I always enjoyed it there!

(I just couldn't resist to poke a little fun, sorry Phil! )
                            Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

I tracked it into the house once because someone spit it on the driveway when a dumpster is 12 feet away! Don't even get me going on lazy people! Like the kind that leave their emptied shopping cart in the parking stall next to them, or don't ever put things back on the right self. A few times that cost me since i though the item was only 9.99 and it was really 15.99 or greater. And then when people have to find a vent for their stress, and smoke. Here's an idea instead of killing yourself and others slowing go home and jog. Take a walk man or mp3 player and put on you favorite music with a good beat. I listen to German heavy metal myself and you burn off a lot of anger and stress in a good 3-5 mile jog!

Comment

Working...
                              X