My first Ridgid Warranty experience!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first Ridgid Warranty experience!

On February 16th, 2006 I took my Ridgid DP15501 in for a “grinding” noise after the quill had traveled some ¾”. I assumed it was a bearing as that is about the only thing in that part to make such a noise.

There are two Ridgid Authorized Service Centers in my immediate area, one within 15 miles and one within 60 miles. There was one listed on the Ridgid website within 45 miles but when I called the owner said she no longer handled Ridgid as they wouldn’t pay a reasonable price per hour for repairs.

I called the closest shop and spoke with the owner who said his mechanic that works on these would be coming in Wednesday. I did not get a good feeling that I would get a reasonable turn around from them if he came thru on Wednesdays, may have prejudged but finally decided to take it to the one within 60 miles. I had heard of this company many times, have seen them listed as repair shop for numerous tools.

When I arrived with the DP on the 16th, they were very courteous, promptly unloading it and allowing me to speak with the mechanic who would work on it. In his opinion, it was probably a bearing and he was tied up until Monday the 20th at which time he planned on looking at it. I left a small container of parts as I had to remove the head from the shaft in order to load and unload it which contained the two set screws that keep the head from rotating on the shaft and the set screw which enables you to set the depth the quill shaft goes to when limiting depth of drilling.

At this time, I also spoke with one of the salesmen who set me up for repair on the DP and told him of my problem with the Ryobi Chopsaw I have mentioned on this forum previously, mainly that I needed a field and maybe an armature for it and could not find a price reasonable enough. He kindly stated if I would call him with the Ryobi part numbers he would see what he could get them for if I were interested in repairing it myself.

I emailed him the next day with the appropriate numbers.

On Wednesday the 22nd, I called to see the progress of the DP and see if he had me a price for the Ryobi parts. He was not in as amiable a mood on the phone as when I personally took the DP in on Thursday. He had forgotten we talked and asked me to give him the numbers and he would look up his cost. I did so and he came back and quoted me a higher price for the two items than what I had found on the internet (although quoted internet price did not include shipping). When I lamented how it seemed there was no way to repair the Ryobi, he then made a statement that didn’t set well with me at all. He stated that most of the stuff you buy from Home Depot is intended to be used then thrown away as it isn’t good enough quality, stating Ryobi also makes Ridgid electrical tools!

Today, Monday the 27th, I got a call from them saying my DP was ready, 6 business days from when I took it in. I was not overjoyed with the time but on reflection, it is not unreasonable. What surprised me was that when I got there, they told me all that was wrong was that the lid was rattling and he had placed a piece of black electrical tape between the lid and the drive belt cavity to dampen the sound. I asked if it wasn’t a bearing as he had originally thought and he responded he had replaced the lower bearing anyway. I then asked him to show me how it worked so we took it to an electrical outlet and he went to get a drill bit and a piece of tubing to test drill. While he was gone, I noticed he had taken the two thumb-set screws used to hold the tension on the drive belts and placed them in the holes where the allen head set screws went which keep the head from rotating on the shaft. I started explaining how these were in the wrong place while he was attempting to explain to me they were supposed to go there. I asked him where the container of hardware was I brought with me, he stated he had not seen a container (his boss informed him he remembered it being attached to the DP when it came in) so we went to his area to look for missing parts. Sure enough, there on the floor was the container with the two set screws and the depth of drilling set screw also.

In summary, I was disappointed the mechanic did not know more of the workings of the DP than he did. Was disappointed the salesman had not had some “political correctness” training (he can have his opinion of any tool I bring in, just keep it to himself (unless of course, I ask him if he thinks some brand is a piece of “crap”)) but it is back now and sounds much quieter than it did so I am convinced the bearing was bad and look forward to using it tomorrow.

Jerry
    It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

That bites!!! I didn't have to go through all those hoops to get something fixed, mine was just a simple chuck. The place in salt lake was great getting it fixed fast but i had to wait for the parts to be there first.
    "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
    "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

Steelwoodworker, i do not know the workings of a all the tools i fix.when i get something in that i have not fixed before,i read to find out how it opperates and then take it from there.this does not mean i cannot fix it.let us know how it opperates for you.I do not fix many wood working tools.but to me a tool is a tool. I might fix a hougen mag drill and when that is done,it might be a greenly puller than a 535 pipemachine,then a cordless drill.but whatever the tool i take pride in getting it fixed right,I hope the mechanic did the same for you. good luck with your dp! ps... still waiting to see if anything for that ryobi comes through the shop. john. the turnaround you got with your dp was not all that bad either,i could tell you alot of stories about how long i have had tools on the shelf just waiting and waiting....................and waiting!
      A fishing pole is the best cordless tool!

Comment

Originally posted by Polar Sparky 1224
        I didn't have to go through all those hoops to get something fixed, mine was just a simple chuck.
        How long did yours take Polar?

Jerry
        It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

Comment

I waited 4-5 days for the part and then the chuck was only a 10-15 minute fix. I have a dewalt 18v for a back up now so that if this happens I'm not broken down for a while.
          "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
          "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

Working...
          X