X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRWIN Tools...

Does anyone know if these are now made overseas?
    I have not purchased any Vise*Grips in a long time. (I bought a full set of them long ago)
    Way back when the company was The American Tool Co. anchored by Vise Grip products, it was an American institution. Lots of copy-cat locking pliers, but only one Vise*Grip.

Now owned by Newell Rubbermaid - a conglomerate into everything, I think now some stuff is made overseas.

For instance, I picked up a pipe wrench at Lowe's and it was Chinese, but it did LOOK like a great quality pipe wrench. (I did not buy the Irwin, I do own Ridgid pipe wrenches)

Trouble is, the jobsite is the last place to "test" an unproven tool, in my opinion.

They've also come out with a range of pliers that, (compared to Klein or Craftsman) seem way too cheap to be USA stuff.
    Phil
    Tools Rule

Comment

Re: Are You a Tool Snob?

I was very surprised after I've purchased a Ridgid PVC pipe cutter earlier this week to find out that it was made in China. I never thought I would see the day where Ridgid tools are sourced out oversea. Check out the bottom left corner right below the words "Patent Pending" to see the words "Made in China". Sorry for the crappy picture.
      Attached Files

Comment

Every tool has a purpose as to what extent it will be used and by whom. To that end, it doesn't matter the name. What matters is the value of the item for the one using it. Besides no one manufacturer makes every tool we use daily anyway.

Comment

2 guys at work had the Makita cordless set and were always getting chargers/battery's mixed up so I went with DeWalt.
          I have a friend who made a lot of money starting out with Ryobi tools...his tools have gotten better but he still use's Ryobi impacts and drills in his cabinet shop.
          I'm mostly Dewalt but have some of everything

Comment

I buy what best "works for me" and fits my budget. I have a mix of Craftsman, Ryobi, Ridgid power tools (plus one Milwaukii "Hole Shooter"). Both my compressors are Craftsman (one U.S.A and one China). In the last four or five years my power tools have been mostly Ridgid. That is because I only have to pay for the tool once!

If anything, I'm a "reverse snob", as I find that you don't necessarily need the most expensive or even the so-called top-of-the-line anything.

In the graphic arts field, one was told that your painting or illustration was only as good as the brushes and paints that you used. Windsor-Newton brushes used to be the so-called top of the commercial market... and then one day I met a really spectacular artist... she painted with nothing more than pieces of twisted paper towels!

Certainly a cheap, poorly made tool with make it near impossible to accomplish a particular task, but the most expensive tool will not guarantee you success either. It is the skill with which one uses the tool and of course, their understanding of that tool's capabilities when properly used.

There's an old saying, "An archer is not known by the color of his arrow, but by his aim."

CWS
            Last edited by CWSmith; 05-16-2010, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by smorris View Post
              A little of both.

For tools I know I will keep and use forever, I buy good stuff. Over the years I've replaced an odd assortment of mechanics hand tools with Craftsman. I know it isn't the best, but it has the best warranty and there's a shop a mile down the road.

Power tools? Well, working for Rockwell, I tended to get all Delta and Porter-Cable stuff. Not because I wouldn't settle for less, but because I knew it would last forever. Battery tools have been an assortment of Skil, RIDGID (made by Skil at the time) and Ryobi.

Specialty tools almost require that they be top quality because there aren't many options. Special tools for cars, electronics, etc.

Plumbing tools? Ummmm...all RIDGID!

Otehr stuff is an assortment. Craftsman Pro stationary compressor and P-C pancake compressor with P-C nailers and Harbor Freight for the rest of the air tools. Shop stuff is an assortment, but for the garage and woodworking. Good stuff, and whatever gets the job done.

Which leads me to a story... My dad and his dad taught woodworking in high school back when it was a respected class, and the projects were heirlooms (we still have several pieces of both their furniture in the house) but my dad is cheap. I had just bought a box of Jorgensen clamps, and was showing them to him. Next time I was at his house, he showed me his HF version he'd picked up. A half dozen cost about what one of mine did. As he took one off the shelf, the pin holding hte head fell out and the head fell off. I stood there stifling a laugh, knowing he was perterbed, and that even with his junky HF tools he could build stuff of a quality I've never remotely approached.

So, it isn't the tools, but what you do with them. Buying expensive tools just to have them, serves no purpose other than inflating an ego...

My $0.02
              Steve
              That's it. Right on the button.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by smorris View Post
                A little of both.

For tools I know I will keep and use forever, I buy good stuff. Over the years I've replaced an odd assortment of mechanics hand tools with Craftsman. I know it isn't the best, but it has the best warranty and there's a shop a mile down the road.

Power tools? Well, working for Rockwell, I tended to get all Delta and Porter-Cable stuff. Not because I wouldn't settle for less, but because I knew it would last forever. Battery tools have been an assortment of Skil, RIDGID (made by Skil at the time) and Ryobi.

Specialty tools almost require that they be top quality because there aren't many options. Special tools for cars, electronics, etc.

Plumbing tools? Ummmm...all RIDGID!

Otehr stuff is an assortment. Craftsman Pro stationary compressor and P-C pancake compressor with P-C nailers and Harbor Freight for the rest of the air tools. Shop stuff is an assortment, but for the garage and woodworking. Good stuff, and whatever gets the job done.

Which leads me to a story... My dad and his dad taught woodworking in high school back when it was a respected class, and the projects were heirlooms (we still have several pieces of both their furniture in the house) but my dad is cheap. I had just bought a box of Jorgensen clamps, and was showing them to him. Next time I was at his house, he showed me his HF version he'd picked up. A half dozen cost about what one of mine did. As he took one off the shelf, the pin holding hte head fell out and the head fell off. I stood there stifling a laugh, knowing he was perterbed, and that even with his junky HF tools he could build stuff of a quality I've never remotely approached.

So, it isn't the tools, but what you do with them. Buying expensive tools just to have them, serves no purpose other than inflating an ego...

My $0.02
                Steve
                Steve,your insight into people's true character is a gift.And you saw this in early 2006.
                It took me three more years to put it together

Comment

I keep the best I can afford for my use. For my crew it depends on the task. I bought a quality air pop rivet tool. Repairing portable toilets you need to have a good tool for that job. Most of the other stuff I have is from Harbor Freight or the roving tool sales. No sense in buying expensive stuff when it will get lost, broken or stolen before it wears out.
                  www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

I was a tool snob when I was in the automotive business. People expected to see Snap On hand tools (and Sunnen machine tools) and when they walked through my shop that's what they saw.

Snap On did prove to be the best, though. Best tools, best service and best warranty. Insanely pricey, but you only bought once. We used them hard. I still have two roll-aways full. Today I would buy Craftsman... 15-20% as much money... not as good, but plenty good enough. As long as the specific item in question is USA made.

But I am no longer a tool snob. I am an American snob, though. I will pay more for an American tool, no matter what - even if the Chinese import is better (haven't had that problem so far).

It is sad that the major names in power tools are basically importing everything. My Porter Cable 1/4 sheet finish sander (USA) finally quit. Couldn't find a USA made sander at Lowe's or H-D. Ended up, disappointed, with a Dewalt, made in Mexico. It came down to that one or the familiar orange brand, which was made in China. I will not buy tool from Communist China if there's an option - doesn't even have to be a good option. Sometimes I have to buy Chinese since that's all there is.

It's not about the tool or it's quality. I am a Citizen and I want to do what I can for my fellow citizens and my Country.

Comment

Call me a tool snob but my snapon impact sockets have held up for over thirty years! I learned to buy the best I could afford and not buy the same thing several times. There is so much junk out there today regardless of brand that it's worth buying quality used some times.

Ginger or MaryAnn? MaryAnn without a doubt, Ginger was all show and no go. I think MaryAnn would be a passionate lover and have your back in a fight.

Comment

For sockets and flat wrenches Craftsman, Proto, or if I can find them Bonneys are good enough for me. Have a few Snap On tools mostly auto AC specialty tools. Most of them were made by K&D or Danaher tools.

I use a lot of Klein hand tools in my daily work nut drivers, screwdrivers and pliers. They have always held up good.

Electrical test equipment there's only one brand that I use, Fluke. Everything else is junk. I'm a tool snob when it comes to meters.

I find in HVAC, specialty tools seem to go in trends. Over the years some of the brands that when I first started in the trade were top quality now not so much. I rely on my part suppliers to keep me current on what's the latest and the greatest in tools.

James

Comment

Working...
                        X