Bricky Tool ??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bricky Tool ??

I don't lay brick or block and I have no home project coming up that involves masonry work but I came across this 'tool' today and wondered if anyone here has used one and how well it does work.

http://www.bricky.com/html/home.htm
    Last edited by Bob D.; 04-30-2006, 06:52 AM.
    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

It might be ok for the DIYer, but a pro would be laughed right off the job if he showed up with that.

Comment

it looks like a good tool for someone that cant put down the right amount of mud . if you have seen a real brick layer they have the knack to put down just the right amount with one swipe of the trowel.
      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid
        It might be ok for the DIYer, but a pro would be laughed right off the job if he showed up with that.
        I'd agree, I'd use it or make something of my own, but to show up to do bricklaying on a real job with it, is like taking s______1 to your family Reunion.
        "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
        "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid
          That's pretty much what I was thinking.
          I've watched the Masons on the jobs I've worked and they are darn good.

I was just curious if anyone had ever seen one used or used one.

It reminds me of some of the new-fangled connection methods they have dreamed up for various piping materials, and those that have been around a while and caught on.
          "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
          John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

I do have a bunch of brick to do by next year, I want to brick my workshop to match the house. It looks like a really neat tool but unless the US version is a bunch narrower it will not work here. The tool looks to be designed to work on a free standing wall and not a brick veneer wall. From the pictures the width of the plastic on each side of the mortar space looks to be about the same width as the mortar space which would mean that the block would need to sit about 3" off the wall which is a problem given that the space should be 1".
            They state that the standard US brick size is ....
            Brick:
            190mm x MM x MM
            (7 5/8" x 3 5/8" x 2 1/4")

The bricks I have are 10" X 3 7/16" (W) X 3 1/8" tall, maybe thats the Canadian standard??

Nothing says you couldn't make one out of pine with a few screws on the bottom as a wear surface.

I watched the brickies that did my place and they seemed to like to use lots of mortar, put it on thick so the bricks would squish out mortar when they were set, then troweled off the extra and it went on the next brick, usually as butter for the end.

Wonder if this tool would not allow for a really good bond?

Comment

Working...
            X