X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I went and bought that TS3650 . . .

Well, I went and did it. I brought home my new TS3650 today and it was up and running in a little over 4 hours. I was impressed with the way everything was thought out and prepared. Even the packaging was great. One reason for the comparatively quick build time is that I need to make no adjustments to anything. Well, the fence was about .015” out of alignment, but that was a quick fix. There is one detail I might still fix, and that is the front rail mounting holes will not allow the rail to go low enough. The fence rides about 1/32” off the table at the front, and just right at the back. I’m planning on mounting some permanent sacrificial sides onto the fence, so I may just leave the rail the way it is.

The fence is awesome. No, it’s not a Beisemeyer (sp?), but it sure is about 1000% better than the one I’ve been working with for a zillion years. It’s smooth operating and locks down absolutely square with no pampering.

Oh, that build time included mounting my new Mulecab router table extension, which was also a breeze. Square-head mounting bolts would have been a big plus, but the hex bolts do the job.

The only discrepancy in the whole project is that the right-side wing is about .015 low at the back outside corner. I’m going to live with that! After all, it’s for cutting wood, not machining optical-device parts.

Anyway, I’m a happy camper. The lift, which once you get it assembled you see how really simple a device it is, works so well I found myself moving the saw around the shop just because it was so easy. <g>

I have yet to try out the motor for anything that stresses it. I often rip 2” hardwoods, so I may end up using the 2 HP motor from my old saw. It’s a direct replacement, except for the belt guard, which won’t fit the new motor. I’ve lived without a belt guard for many, many years with no problems, so I can live without this one.

Hey, here’s a question for you guys: Does everybody have a pile of brand-new, nifty blade guards and other kinds of useless insurance-mandated “safety devices” taking up space in their shops, hoping that one day they can scrounge some parts to make something useful? Or is it just me . . .

And one last thing, a question for the Ridgid R&D team: Why, oh why the strange mix of fastener sizes? 5/6-18 threads and metric heads, metric and inch combinations, etc. Weird. One or the other would be good!

The bottom line is that this TS is a screamin’ deal, especially with the $75 Gift Card rebate (over 5/3). I actually added a $59 bench grinder to the purchase, bringing it up to a $125 rebate.
    Unanswered Questions
    are far less dangerous
    than Unquestioned Answers.

Good decision

Congratulations on your new saw. I know it will do the job for you.
    I regularly rip 8/4 hardwoods with mine. No problem. As I'm sure you know, a quality blade will greatly reduce the load on the motor. Enjoy!
    Lorax
    "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

More on that new TS3650

I forgot to mention that my "new" TS still has the old arbor. Not a bother to me, but just to pass the word that they're still out there. I do use a stacked dado from time to time, but when I do it's nearly always for shelves. In that case all I need do is put one of the fat chippers on first and it spans the "missing" part of the arbor thread.

S/N: P054592251. Is this some ancient stock, or is Ridgid still using that bad arbor?
      Unanswered Questions
      are far less dangerous
      than Unquestioned Answers.

Comment

Mine is S/N P044963271 and did not have a defective arbor. I bought it in early Jan, but have no idea how long it was in stock at the store. Maybe it was before the "bad" lot or from a different assy line. Glad it was okay because I used a stacked dado quite a bit.
        Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Working...
        X