the oldslowchevy has died

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oldslowchevy
    the truck not me i'm just feeling the lost of such a great friend.my 1991 chevy 1500 was such a great truck,no one belives that it had the miles on it that it did(just ran out side to make sure 493,369.2)that is on the factory motor and trans neither of witch were ever rebuilt it was just a base model W/T1500 with a 305 and 4 speed automatic.this truck helped me start my own frameing company back in 92(olde tyme carpantry)i had this truck 5 years before i met my lovly wife it has been in all 48 contintenl (bad spelling i know)states.i have had up to 100 sheets of 3/4 t&g plywood loaded on the truck(only had to go 1 mile and that was 1 mile to far like that)it was only a 2 wheel drive but has gone though things that alot of off roaders would have to think about just to get the job done.it sure wasn't much to look at anymore as i had painted with house paint and a roller 2 years ago.and the seat was dead along long time ago.it never let me down. well my goal when i bought the truck was 500k miles and it almost made it.i change my oil every 2500 miles havolin 5-30 since new trans fluid ever 6 months. it was wore out. when the truck was new it was getting about 19-20 mpg in mix driving and here towards the end it was ony getting 5-6 mpg on the highway at 50-55 mph.i never knew i could get so atached to a car or truck,i have heard people say things like that but always just thought they were nuts guess i know better now.well now it is time for something new.and wife and i have been thinking about this for some time now and since the time has come and gas is so high we have desided to to get two (we hate her town car)she is going to get a scion xb a box of a car but it gets over 30 mpg and i will be on the hunt for a chevy s-10 ex cab as i do not need a full size any more but nothing will ever replace my old slow chevy,it almost feels like a family member has past but i can say that it has never let me down even yesterday it took me every where i needed to go and as soon as i pulled in the driveway and put it in park it reved it just alittle then two rods at the front of the motor slamed though the oil pan.it never knocked banged rattled or anything it even had 30 psi of oil pessure but still it just went.sorry that this this is not tool or wood related in any way but i know 80% of you guys depend on your trucks to feed your familys so i just thought i would share my pain.
    nice truck.. would like to see a picture of it..

Comment

so unfair

well it has been a month since old blue had died.and i kept having ideas of what to do with it,frist i thought about a race truck ..... well that was just wishful thinking, then i thought about either fixing the motor or replacing it ........... still just not worth it. so i called a salvage yard(when did they change from the wrecking/junk yard????)and they came out yesterday and took old blue off my hands, as they were loading it up i had to ask "what do they do with cars and trucks in this shape?" the reponse caught me off garuad alittle "well we are going to crush it then when we have enough we well send it to japan" does any here know if that is what really happens or was this guy just talking out of his rear????
      is this where our hondas and toyotas come from???
      9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I think its time for a little pot stiring, it's been pretty tame around here lately.

Alot of people gripe about stuff that is "assembled" in the USA with materials that originate overseas. I wonder if the Japanese people get upset that their cars are only "assembled" in Japan.
        ================================================== ====
        ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

dave please don't quote me but are you saying that because japan takes our scrap metal japan cars are really american cars?please remember i am just a tad slow.and if i misunder stood please tell me what you mean so i am not as clueless as i am now.
          9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I know that the Navy has sold many old ships to overseas and American companies as scrap. Maybe ole blue will come back to you OSC as part of a Ridgid tool :-)
            "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
            John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

OSC, I was just in a sarcastic mood when I wrote that and my comments weren't directed at anyone in particular. I just found it amusing that some of the made in China, Japan, Taiwan or wherever products that alot of people crybaby about partially consist of some raw materials that originated in this country.

I'm not sure what the exact requirements are for a product to be considered "Made in _______" but if my 3612 was badged "Built in USA" because the CI top and wings were not cast in this country then maybe, just maybe, Japanese cars can't truly be considered Made in Japan but Built in Japan.
              Last edited by BadgerDave; 06-13-2006, 04:38 PM.
              ================================================== ====
              ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowchevy
                so i called a salvage yard(when did they change from the wrecking/junk yard????)and they came out yesterday and took old blue off my hands, as they were loading it up i had to ask "what do they do with cars and trucks in this shape?" the reponse caught me off garuad alittle "well we are going to crush it then when we have enough we well send it to japan" does any here know if that is what really happens or was this guy just talking out of his rear????

osc this is true they do smash the car or truck if they do not think they can part it out . this is common with older models. its a shame that they can not use it for parts
                Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

ok i get it now i was just alittle lost with it at frist ,thanks bd for the clear up witch also reminds me i have to chane the oil in the scion this week.
                  9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D.
                    I know that the Navy has sold many old ships to overseas and American companies as scrap. Maybe ole blue will come back to you OSC as part of a Ridgid tool :-)
                    Now that explains the revving sound my impact driver makes. .
                    Right now the eastern countries are consuming raw materials and then shipping it back out as new products like our EMT, couplings, and connectors. If ol' blue doesn't come back as a drill he could be part of a new commercial office building. Or sadly you could find chunks of him on E-bay in the form of cheap crap.
                    "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
                    "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

Scrap metal

To All:
                      My son's been working in a scrap yard this summer cutting stainless with a plasma.
                      The stainless is coming in by the boatload and going out as fast as it comes in. Asked him about why the rate hike on copper, alum. steel, stainless, etc. He talked to the owners who said it is all being sold to China right now. At least from their yard.
                      Sure hope this doesn't come back to bite us in the butt. Remember what happened pre-1941? USA was shipping boatloads of scrap metal to Japan.
                      Doctors ended up taking US car model door handles out of some US GI's because Japan was taking the scrap and loading it into bombs as shrapnel.
                      JimDon

Comment

one good thing about all of this is that the scrap price for # 1 copper was $ 2.40 a lb today and going up
                        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Working...
                        X