X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the oldslowchevy has died

the truck not me i'm just feeling the lost of such a great friend.my 1991 chevy 1500 was such a great truck,no one belives that it had the miles on it that it did(just ran out side to make sure 493,369.2)that is on the factory motor and trans neither of witch were ever rebuilt it was just a base model W/T1500 with a 305 and 4 speed automatic.this truck helped me start my own frameing company back in 92(olde tyme carpantry)i had this truck 5 years before i met my lovly wife it has been in all 48 contintenl (bad spelling i know)states.i have had up to 100 sheets of 3/4 t&g plywood loaded on the truck(only had to go 1 mile and that was 1 mile to far like that)it was only a 2 wheel drive but has gone though things that alot of off roaders would have to think about just to get the job done.it sure wasn't much to look at anymore as i had painted with house paint and a roller 2 years ago.and the seat was dead along long time ago.it never let me down. well my goal when i bought the truck was 500k miles and it almost made it.i change my oil every 2500 miles havolin 5-30 since new trans fluid ever 6 months. it was wore out. when the truck was new it was getting about 19-20 mpg in mix driving and here towards the end it was ony getting 5-6 mpg on the highway at 50-55 mph.i never knew i could get so atached to a car or truck,i have heard people say things like that but always just thought they were nuts guess i know better now.well now it is time for something new.and wife and i have been thinking about this for some time now and since the time has come and gas is so high we have desided to to get two (we hate her town car)she is going to get a scion xb a box of a car but it gets over 30 mpg and i will be on the hunt for a chevy s-10 ex cab as i do not need a full size any more but nothing will ever replace my old slow chevy,it almost feels like a family member has past but i can say that it has never let me down even yesterday it took me every where i needed to go and as soon as i pulled in the driveway and put it in park it reved it just alittle then two rods at the front of the motor slamed though the oil pan.it never knocked banged rattled or anything it even had 30 psi of oil pessure but still it just went.sorry that this this is not tool or wood related in any way but i know 80% of you guys depend on your trucks to feed your familys so i just thought i would share my pain.
    9/11/01, never forget.

OSC, I know exactly how you feel. I "lost" my 93 Exployer just this last January. I really liked that vehicle and as you said, its almost like loosing a member of the family.

I replaced mine with a RAM 1500. It's a beauty and in time I'm sure it will grow on me. Of course, two weeks after I bought it gas prices went through the roof.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

osc, i have a 87 ford bronco that my wife would love to get rid of. it only has 62,000 original miles. she calls it a pimp mobile it's black with a red interior. all original xlt edition 4x4.

kind of like the sound of osf. (old slow ford)

it's in calif. road trip

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Many condolences on your loss, OSC. I'm sure that truck led a happy life. 493k is pretty doggone good for any truck. I'd love to see my diesel F250 get that.

I hope you find your s10!
        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Condolences on your loss, however, as the American Muscle Car show says, "Don't crush em restore em. "
          If the body is still in good condtion I would recommend a "heart" transplant, or at least bypass surgery. Reman engine=4 grand, installed here in NC, new truck 15k+. Or if you are so inclined and the rods didn't damage the block, have the crank turned, and completely rebuild. probably about the same cost as the remanufactured transplant, but then everything is orginal, excepting the engine internals. With that milage, I would only reuse the block, crank(assuming it salvagable) and head castings. Have the block, crank and heads hot tanked to get all crud and metal out of the galleries, and have the bearing journals checked. Remember, even with the cost of rebuild, what you are driving is always cheaper than something new.
          Only a surfer knows the feeling. Billabong ca. 1985 or so

Comment

Rip Osct

Dear OSC,
            I hope your OSCT (truck) will truly Rest in Peace. I too know how terrible it is to have a trusted friend like a truck bite the dust. I have a 1986 Ford Bronco that my wife truly wants out of here. But it has served me so well and still runs great, so I have had to fight her every step of the way. But I know someday, that Ol Ford will bite the dust too. I hope you find a new substitute that will live up to all the challenges you'll throw at it in the future. Jim Don

Comment

Truly a sad picture, http://www.nancyscola.com/images/truck_upsidedown.jpg
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

lol dave that is a sad pic but atlaest it rolled over to die.road runner the thought that another motor and trans rebuild(to deal with fresh hp)was a thought but really the truck is just worn beyond anything like that the cab is in fair shape the bed is in poor shape there has be something wrong with the suspention for a while that i just can't figure out,it would cost so much more to fix her than (said with a tear in my eye)to replace her.a s-10 will run about 4-7k her scion xb out the door today was 17,667.05 that is tagged tax everything(the look on the dealers face was great as i was counting out 100 dollar bills.)we are taking her lincoln to car max and what ever we get for that will be my truck money.never thought i would say this but her new box of a car seems to have just as much if not more room then her old town car it truly is amazing to see how tiny this thing is on the out side and big on the inside.any way back to the truck i really don't want to crush it but what should i do with it? i have thought about giving to a school for the votech programs what do you guys think?
                9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

You could just park it in the front yard. Grow vines on the cab and make a fountain in the bed.
                  info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Sorry to hear about your old friend and partner, but glad it got you home before it died. That's a true friend.
                    I had an old "84 GMC 2 wheel drive 1500 with the 305 motor for 16 years. Great truck. Once had 3000lbs of live oak trunks in it cleaning up after a hurricane. It hauled it fine (but I kept waiting for the tires to blow, which thankfully they didn't). I sold it in 2001 for $1200 but I STILL miss that truck.
                    The Vo-Tech or community college idea is great if they want it. However, if it does go to the crusher, realize that the metal may come back as a new frame (not much other metal left in todays vehicles).
                    Just a possible thought. Buy a used pickup (inexpensive) first before you buy the new S10. Otherwise you may never be happy with the S10. I first replaced mine with a '99 1500 ext cab. Beautiful vehicle but it just wouldn't cut it (in my opinion) and didn't like a heavy load. I always kept comparing it to the '84 when it was new. After a couple years, I replaced it with a 2500 GMC just to get the same capability (5-leaf springs and HD tranny) that I had with the '84. I am very happy with the 2500, (at least until I hit the gas pump!!) My point is, after you have a really great vehicle, the next one just ain't gonna satisfy you. Get that out of your system before buying a new one unless that S-10 really speaks to you.

my $.02
                    Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Yeah, sounds like this one is heading for the recycler. Just a thought, you could get a used small or midsize pickup with a tow package and a trailer. Use the small truck for everyday stuff and load just the essentials in the bed. When the work is heavier or the safe size of materials exceeds the length, let the trailer do the work. That way you'll save on gas by not hauling a bunch of unneeded weight around, yet still have the capacity when needed to haul the house. I have a Dakota Quad Cab with a 3500 lb hitch and 5k tow capacity, if I upgrade the hitch, the 4WD comes in nice on the beach, no parking meters!

As for the Vo-tech donation, when I took auto mechanics in high school, we were always looking for a "project" car. Sounds like yours has all the makings of a thorough final exam, engine, suspension, body, and trans.
                      Last edited by Roadrunner; 05-13-2006, 09:14 AM.
                      Only a surfer knows the feeling. Billabong ca. 1985 or so

Comment

the main reason i will be looking for a s-10 or other small truck is i really don't need a truck anymore other than to hual my son's drit bike around. i really have not even needed my old truck for about a year other than my move from Maryland to Florida.other than that it had been empty.as far as small trucks go i prefer the look of the s-10 more then the rest but i won't rule out any other make.as far as a new s-10 well that will never happen due to the fact that has been replaced a few years ago with the colrodo mid size and i can't say that i am in love with the body lins of that truck.but what ever i end up with it will be used 4-10 years old it must have less than 80k miles and be in good running condtion or i will just move on to i find one that is.i have thought about getting 4 wheel drive but i never had it before so that would just be a nice thing to have but 2 wheel drive is fine with me as well.it must be an extended cab though i need tha extra room an won't settle for less. as far as vo tech i will make the call monday to see if they want it but they don't(wimper) it will go to the scarp heap and become 100 hondas.thank you guys for sharing your thoughts and stories as well except papadan that truck it so much more than a planter!!!!! lol just kidding
                        9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I GOT IT THE OLD SLOW CHEVY MAY YETR LIVE AGAIN!!!!ok my son and i went to the loacl track 3/8 mile and there is a sagment called thunder truck. for 5 bucks i picked up the rule book and oh my think i might have to go to the junk yard to pick up another motor, the rule are the motor must be stock in every way but must have a holly 500 cfm 2 bbl carb 4 point cage 10 gal fuel cell tow chains and doors and tail gate must be welded shut wind sheild must remain race safely i think for less then 1500 it could be racing and i can get alittle more fun out of her.yeah i'm a redneck but dam proud of it!
                          9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I GOT IT THE OLD SLOW CHEVY MAY YETR LIVE AGAIN!!!!ok my son and i went to the loacl track 3/8 mile and there is a sagment called thunder truck. for 5 bucks i picked up the rule book and oh my think i might have to go to the junk yard to pick up another motor, the rule are the motor must be stock in every way but must have a holly 500 cfm 2 bbl carb 4 point cage 10 gal fuel cell tow chains and doors and tail gate must be welded shut wind sheild must remain race safely i think for less then 1500 it could be racing and i can get alittle more fun out of her.yeah i'm a redneck but dam proud of it!
                            9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

So excited he is stuttering. LMAO
                              info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Working...
                              X