dirtmack

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dirtmack

I HAVE A RIDGID AIR COMPRESSOR THAT I LOVE HOWEVER I AM HAVING A SMALL PROBLEM.IT IS THE OILLESS MODEL OF45150A.THE TWIN TANK PORTABLE USED MAINLY FOR PAINTING, I THINK.ANYWAY MY PRESSURE BUILDS UP TO 150 psi THEN AS I AM USING THE AIR THE COMPRESSOR ATTEMPTS TO KICK BACK IN; I THINK AROUND 75 --80 PSI.WELL WHEN THIS HAPPENS THE MOTOR WONT START AND IT TRIES TO KICK A BREAKER.HOWEVER WHEN I EXHAUST THE PRESSURE DOWN TO AROUND 25 PSI OR LESS THE MOTOR KICKS IN AND BUILDS BACK TO 150 PSI.I JUST PUT IN A NEW PISTON ,CYLINDER AND VALVE/GASKET KIT.COULD THE PROBLEM BE IN THE POINTS OR THE MOTOR?? OR WOULD IT BE ON THE COMPRESSOR SIDE??? VERY PUZZLED ;HELP PLEASE.

The controller should have a releiver built in. This releaves pressure from the compressor head when not running. The tank should have a check valve that keeps the tank air from repressuring the compressor head.

This means, either the reliever isn't working, or the check valve is not. It's probably the reliever. This is a part of the controller (look where the power feeds in). There should be a small (probably copper) tube that connects the controller releiver to the larger tube that runs from the compressor head to the tank. The reliever is in the controller unit. There should be a little lever at the bottom of the controller unit that pushes the valve open (something like a tire valve). Apparently this is not working properly.

I don't have a rigid compressor, I do have three others (three different manufacturers) and that's they way they all work.

Comment

dirtmack

THANX BIG THOM,I PULLED A SMALL VALVE THAT WAS ATTACHED TO THE BOTTOM OF 1 OF THE TWIN TANKS.IT HAD A POPPET LIKE THING AND INSIDE WHAT LOOKED TO BE A SPRING.i THINK THIS MAY BE 1 OF THE VALVES YOU WERE REFERRING TO.I PULLED IT OFF,SPRAYED IT GOOD WITH WD40,REINSTALLED IT BUT STILL THE SAME RESULTS.I PLAN TO GET A NEW 1 AND TRY IT.I GUESS I NEED A PARTS BREAKDOWN FOR THIS UNIT SO I WILL KNOW THE NAMES OF THESE VALVES AND WHERE TO LOCATE THEM.

Comment

I have a campbell hausfield, same set-up. and have had the same problem. the only time I get this problem is if I'm using it with an extension cord that is not at least 12gauge wire. If I plug the compressor directly into the wall no problems ever or if I use the 12gauge extension cord. 14gauge will cause the same problem your having every time. In my opinon it could be that the motor does not get enough amps to kick it over with the pressure in the tank. I don't know if you're using an extension cord or not, but that's my 2cents worth.

Comment

Dirtmack

You Hit The Nail On The Head With That 1.i Was Using An Extension Cord.soon As I Plugged It In Direct It Works Great.thanx For The Great Tip.

Comment

Working...
          X