Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want new replacement Ridgid tools for life?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want new replacement Ridgid tools for life?

O.K. so I'm not the biggest fan of H.D. but on this one I only have great things to say. It started back in Nov 2005 when I needed a new 18volt drill. I went to H.D. to get a Ridgid drill, apparently Ridgid went to a pistol grip design and stoppped making the T-handle design. SO, I bought it, not happy about the design. Now on to 2006, last week was in Depot and saw the new 18v drills, Ridgid went back to T-handle design. Talked to the tool coral manager about being able to exchange the old style for the new style, He agreed as long as I would buy the extended warranty. I asked why? when Ridgid already has Lifetime service? His reply, AND (here is how to receive new tools for life), When you buy the extended warranty from Depot they will REPLACE NOT REPAIR the tool. Again, you bring in the broken tool and they will give you a brand new tool right on the spot. No waiting for repairs. So while I have had three great experiences with the repair process I couldn't pass up new tools. Yes I bought the warranty and the manager even allowed me to buy the warranties for all the ridgid tools I had already bought, all 13 products. In my opinon you can't beat this deal anywhere that I know of.

I'm interested to know if you got this in writing or if that manager just told you that is the policy? How long is this "extended warranty" good for and what does it cover? It sounds like a good deal for someone who makes their living using their tools and requires as little down time as possible.
    ================================================== ====
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

Yes I got this in writing, in fact it comes in a pre-printed warranty brouchere. As for the length of the warranty it is good for the length of the manufacturer's warranty plus 1 year after the manufacturer's warranty expires and since Ridgid's is "Lifetime" this warranty is "Lifetime" plus 1 year. It covers everything just like Ridgid's, Tools, batteries, chargers. I use my tools everyday as a general contractor so being able to get an instant replacement is great.

Comment

If the coverage is only as long as the mfgs. warranty plus 1 years then you're only good for 4 years. Ridgid's warranty is only 3 years but their Limited Lifetime Service Agreement, a totally seperate program, is lifetime coverage for repair or replacement of normal wear and tear parts.

For people like youself who use their tools everyday, 4 years free replacement is probably a good deal. For someone like myself, a hobbyist, I'm not sure paying for that extra coverage would pay off.
        All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

Hey Dave, I checked with the manager and he assured me that this is a lifetime replacement otherwise I wouldn't have bought them. So untill it proves to be different I have to go with what he is saying.

Comment

If that's the case then it's a great program and worth the money. Considering where gas prices have gone recently, this program could be a real bargin for anyone, myself included, that doesn't have an Authorized Ridgid Service Center within reasonable driving distance.

Comment

Originally posted by House-Medic
              O.K. so I'm not the biggest fan of H.D. but on this one I only have great things to say. It started back in Nov 2005 when I needed a new 18volt drill. I went to H.D. to get a Ridgid drill, apparently Ridgid went to a pistol grip design and stoppped making the T-handle design. SO, I bought it, not happy about the design. Now on to 2006, last week was in Depot and saw the new 18v drills, Ridgid went back to T-handle design. Talked to the tool coral manager about being able to exchange the old style for the new style, He agreed as long as I would buy the extended warranty. I asked why? when Ridgid already has Lifetime service? His reply, AND (here is how to receive new tools for life), When you buy the extended warranty from Depot they will REPLACE NOT REPAIR the tool. Again, you bring in the broken tool and they will give you a brand new tool right on the spot. No waiting for repairs. So while I have had three great experiences with the repair process I couldn't pass up new tools. Yes I bought the warranty and the manager even allowed me to buy the warranties for all the ridgid tools I had already bought, all 13 products. In my opinon you can't beat this deal anywhere that I know of.
              this i got to see..

Comment

The HD extended warrantee sounds good, but here is a problem I see. I may be wrong if so I apologize.
                If I remember correctly when you register for the LSA you need a receipt, and the serial number off of the tool. After a few weeks you get a tag to keep with the tool for when you need to use the LSA. Say you buy a cordless drill and you get the extended warrantee from HD. Then a year later the chuck fails due to a problem in manufacturing and HD replaces the drill under their warrantee. Do you have to buy another extended warrantee for the new drill or does it transfer over to the replacement drill? Does the warrantee continue from the original purchase date of drill or does it reset and give you 4 years from the time you got the replacement?
                What then happens when say the brushes wear out in your cordless drill (I know this doesn’t happen as often as it used too) after the HD warrantee is over or a few batteries fail due to age? The way I see it unless you are able to change the LSA over to the new Serial number wouldn’t you be SOL and have no LSA on that drill? If you are a contractor and plan on replacing your tools every 4 years or so, it works out for you but if your a home hobbyist after 4 years you tools may only be getting broken in.
                I know I have my old DeWalt 96.v drill and it has lasted 5 years and now the batteries are starting to develop problems the drill is still in very good shape. I am thinking about getting a Ridgid set of cordless tools because with the LSA instead of spending about $150.00 on batteries I can take the hour drive to a service center and just get a few batteries replaced. (Although in 5 years I might spend that much in gas getting to the service center)

Comment

I'm a bit skeptical. Perhaps this HD extended warranty is true, but as you say, the HD extended "replacement" guarantee states, " length of manufacturer's warranty, plus one year". Well, clearly (to me anyway) the Ridgid warrenty is three years; and therefore the replacement would legally only be for a period of four years. As initially mentioned by BD, the Ridgid LSA is an "Agreement" based on product registration and not a warranty.

Now I know your tool corral guy affirmed to you that the replacement guarantee was extended to cover the terms of Rigid's LSA, but that really isn't in the "writing" on Home Depot's extended guarantee is it? It may be the tool corral manager's interpretation, but what really is going to happen, in five or six years when he may not be around? If it were me, I think I'd check the Service Desk's opinion and maybe even Atlanta (HD's HQ offices).

I guess my skepticism is largely due to the many "stories" I've heard from those "orange aprons". I know a couple of years ago my local tool manager was telling his customers that any brand of tool that Home Depot sold was covered for life, "just bring it back and I'll replace it free". That of course, was not true. In that particular case, he totally believed what he was saying was true... but the service desk, and more importantly, the Atlanta office was a bit concerned that this erroneous statement was being issued by one of its own.

Hopefully I am wrong and you are totally correct about this, but I think it needs to be confirmed by someone much higher in the ranks of HD,

CWS

Comment

Working...
                  X