X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• compressors

I have a porter-cable pancake compressor it works fine but won't run a frame nailer and is way to loud for me. I was looking at the Ridgid oil lube twin stack but i heard 1 running and it's louder then the porter-cable i have. I was the local TSC store and they had a Iron horse 2.5 HP 4 gallon oil lube twin stack that runs at 1720 rpm whitch is half the speed of most small compressors. They had one ine the back that they use so I could hear it run it was so quiet you could stand 5 feet from it and talk in a normal voice and be heard. I think Ridgid should look into making there oil lube compressors run at 1720 rpm. Ridgid told me there compressor runs at 86-88 db the iron horse runs 78 db. For every increase of 3 db there is a 100% increase in sound energy.

Please try not to compare apples to oranges to mangos.

IMHO, It is unfair to compare an aluminum pump to a cast iron pump and likewise those that have a simple foam intake filter instead of an actual filter canister will be considerably louder.
    Also, different types of motors make different amounts of noise. Those that are directly-coupled to the pump tend to be much louder (and also are usually rated at the higher speed) than the capacitor start motors that your typical belt-drive pumps run.
    If compressor noise is bugging you, why not extend your hose length and get it out away from you.
    Phil
    Tools Rule

Comment

compressors

The Iron horse compressor is cast iron. What I was getting at was Ridgid should look at this stlye of compressor Makita also makes a low rpm model that is very quite. I have a 50 foot hose but sometimes you can't get that far away from the compressor. Also in the winter I can't put it outside because it's to cold here.

Comment

Thomas compressors have the slower type motor drive you describe, and they are pretty easy on the circuits too, you'll almost never trip a 15 amp breaker. They don't seem to mind running all day long on a skimpy extension cord. They even admit that in their advertising.

A few years ago, a buddy of mine had an ITT compressor, and it had a sound about like an A/C compressor (or an A/C vacuum pump) - very quiet. Although it was expensive, it was almost unnoticeable while working at the other end of the hose.
        Phil
        Tools Rule

Comment

I have a 5 HP Campbell Hausfeld Extreme Duty tank type compressor which is the quietest I have heard. With it running in my attached garage, my wife doesn't hear it in the kitchen which is only 8 feet away, and she has excellent hearing. It has a 3250 rpm motor but is a pulley drive, so the cast iron compressor runs at a significantly lower speed. Can be run on 110 or 220. It is rated at 15 amps (110v) but I have never had a problem with my 15 a breaker tripping. I do use a 12 ga extension cord when I need one, tho. It will definitely drive a framing nailer, (or a spray gun) even with 150' of hose, but the sucker is heavy (about 300 lbs)
          They make an extreme duty pancake type also, but it is a direct drive and I do not think it is as quiet, have not heard it in operation, and don't know the weight.
          HTHs
          Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

compressors

Thats Phil the iron horse only draws 11.5 amps and is very quiet. Also the price is very good i could buy 2 of them for the cost of the makita mac2400
            I'm sure the makita is better but i don't use this every day.

Comment

Working...
            X