X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Product - Jobsite Spanish

This is a very useful product. Should be a "must have" tool for jobsites today.

These are all jobsite type words/phrases to help communicate effectively on the jobsite - not to order tacos at a restaurant.

Why didn't I think of this.
    Phil
    Tools Rule

My company uses these...they work just fine

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/097...lance&n=283155

i like the CD idea for use in the rig on the way to and from, but this book comes in way handy.

Comment

Teddy Roosevelt wrote:

"In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here does in good faith become an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with every one else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed or birthplace or origin. But this is predicated upon the man’s becoming in very fact and American and nothing but an American.

"If he tries to keep segregated with men of his own origin and separated from the rest of America, then he isn't doing his part as an American.

"We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization just as much as it excludes any foreign flag of a nation to which we are hostile. We have room for but one language here and that is the English language, for we intend to see that the crucible turns our people out as Americans, and American nationality, and not as dwellers in a polyglot boarding house; and we have room for but one soul loyalty, and that is loyalty to the American people."

The Chicago Daily Tribune, p. 4
      7 January 1919
      Lorax
      "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

What is it that they used to say on the old 60's "Laugh In" show..... "Very Interesting....... but STUPID !!!"

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not a "red-neck" and I don't have a prejudiced bone in my body, but what is wrong with this country when we start proposing that we need to learn another language in order to communicate on the job site. If you can't speak, read, and clearly understand ENGLISH, you really aren't qualified in any way, shape, or form, to work on the job site. Maybe the contractor needs to hire a mentor/interpreter for each of them.

I'm not talking about a new guy who you bring on board "to learn the ropes"; that's certainly fine as he or she picks up the skills and the language. But that kind of worker should never be in the majority or even in numbers significant enough to pose a communications problem; and, it should never be for much longer than a few months. One might ask, "How long would you keep a worker if they couldn't acquire the skills of the trade?" Well my friends, English is one of those skills.

I grew up in a place in NY called the "Triple Cities".... Binghamton, Johnson City, and Endicott. Endicott-Johnson was, for most of the 20th Century, one of the major importers of European labor. It not only recruited in Europe, but even had its own greeters at Ellis Island. The common tale in my hometown was the people getting off the boat and asking simply, "Vich Vay EeeJay?".

So, with Polish, Italian, Irish, German, and several "slavic" nationals coming to Binghamton one might think there'd be a problem. But, those people learned English, spoke it in the factory, in the streets, and at home. Today, the Binghamton area is populated with the descendants of those immigrants, and many are fresh to this country, having made the trip thanks to grandparents, uncles, aunts, and cousins who came here, years before.

But when they arrive, they set about learning the language, the history, and the politics of their new home. Their "citizenship" depends on that! Sure, we have festivals and even clubs that represent their ancestural homes, but you know, they're all Americans and proud to be so. None of them felt too proud or too aggrevated to learn English! In fact, it would be a bit of a family disgrace, should any one of them stay too long without becoming "American".

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you can't be bothered with becoming an "American", with all of it's requirements, then you shouldn't be here, you shouldn't be working here, and you certainly shouldn't be a nuisance or challenge to the workplace.

So, I guess I have to ask what is wrong with this picture? Certainly every Hispanic I ever knew was not only smart, but they were also quit proud, and had no lack of abilities, or comprehension. So how come, learning English is more of a barrier for them, then it was for the many other nationalities that that preceded them?

I apologize for the "rant", but this "Should be a "must have" tool for jobsites today" is way off base and rather insulting to the American worker, IMHO!

CWS

Comment

this is better

learn to speck English
          Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
          http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
          http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by Lorax
            Teddy Roosevelt wrote:

"In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here does in good faith become an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with every one else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed or birthplace or origin. But this is predicated upon the man’s becoming in very fact and American and nothing but an American.

"If he tries to keep segregated with men of his own origin and separated from the rest of America, then he isn't doing his part as an American.

"We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization just as much as it excludes any foreign flag of a nation to which we are hostile. We have room for but one language here and that is the English language, for we intend to see that the crucible turns our people out as Americans, and American nationality, and not as dwellers in a polyglot boarding house; and we have room for but one soul loyalty, and that is loyalty to the American people."

7 January 1919
            Yeah, Teddy didn't get it either.
            Phil
            Tools Rule

Comment

Originally posted by PhilG.
              Yeah, Teddy didn't get it either.
              Care to elaborate?
              Lorax
              "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Originally posted by Lorax
                Teddy Roosevelt wrote:

7 January 1919
                I AGREE! LEARN ENGLISH! or LEAVE! If you leave your country to live and prosper in the United States of America , LEARN OUR Language. We as AMERICANS should NOT have to accomodate new immogrants in any way shape or form.Signs of any kind should ONLY be in ENGLISH . If you want things to be the way they are in your native country, go BACK to it!, That's the beauty of this wonderful Country ,America, you have the Right to LEAVE it ! And any and ALL Illegal's should be DEPORTED , or Shot on site as they cross our borders Illegally. IMHO

Comment

Originally posted by PhilG.
                  Yeah, PhilG don't get it either.
                  Thinks he is smarter than Roosevelt

Comment

I cannot stand the way the US is catering to other languages, well Spanish. It would be interesting to see what happens if a German came into a store and walk around looking for a German speaking employee. It isnt even considered. The HD I work at has a couple Spanish speaking employees, but usually what happening is the 10 year old in the group has to translate to her relatives what I am saying. That is when I do the infamous HD duck and run.

Comment

I was at a store shopping the other day and a man started speaking to me in Spanish so I answered him in Japanese. The look on his face was priceless. Unfortunately I don't have that option at work. I have to remain professional. But I do agree that we as a country need to stop trying to change the country to make illegal immagrants feel more at home.
                      Jeff

Comment

Working...
                      X