Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A NEW MG, Built in America by who?

I just read this story, posted in the NY Times on July 11, 2006:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/12/bu...html?th&emc=th

(the link will probably only be good for a couple of days.)

So, the Times reports that the Nanjing Automobile Group purchased the assets of the bankrupt MG Rover Group last year. According to the Times article, it "aims to be the first Chinese carmaker to open a factory in the United States. The company has scheduled a news conference for Wednesday in Oklahoma to announce plans to build a newly designed MG TF Coupe there, starting in 2008. It said the coupe would compete with cars like the Mazda Miata, which sells for $20,000 to $25,000.)

So, the cycle continues,

CWS

While I am glad to see the MG name live on (see link in sig for my MG and my Morris Garage) I just can't get behind the idea of a modern British MG made in Oklahoma and owned by a Chinese manufacturer...

I sure can't see them being welcomed at classic British car shows...
    Steve
    www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

I miss my MG MGB. It was a fun and simple car.
      As if It's not bad enough the Chinese have flooded the market with so much garbage, now they want to make cars!!!

Comment

Newman,

Well, I certainlly enjoyed my 1970 MGB-GT "split-tail", but I certainly never could consider it a "quality" car by any standards. In addition to the overwhelming and perpetually increasing rust, there were those Lucas electrics, Armstrong shocks, SU "dash-pots", and the total lack of functionable weather stripping. Yes, it was a fun car, but also one which spent almost as much time being serviced as it did being driven. A friend summed it up by saying it was 1930 technology wrapped in 1970 recycled steel.

I figure a "chinese" vehicle will hit the market in the same manner the Hyundai and, before that, the Datsun (Nissan), Toyota, and Honda did. Junk the first couple of years, then good, then better.

CWS

Comment

You didn't enjoy pulling to the side of the road and adjusting the dual carbs every other block?
          Gotta love those lever shocks!!!

Comment

Working...
          X