X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A story for all you LICENSED contractors

2 Unlicensed contractors were hired at my agency by the former Executive Director.

Person A turned out to be her boyfriend who she hired to r-tile some of our tub stalls. (It is a building from the 20's and the tub enclosure is no longer standard size) I discovered the contractors license he was using belonged to his deceased father who was an electrician-not a general. I turned him in to the state contractors board with a pile of evidence like they had never seen before. I then had to pick his photo out of a line-up. The contractors board found him guilty and turned the case over to the City District Attorney for criminal charges to be filed. While I was waiting I took him to small claims court where he did not show up. The Judge awarded my agency a Judgement for the full amount of money we were out ($3.600 for labor and materials he purchased with our company credit card). I just received word from the District Attorney that they had a money order for us with the total amount due. The best part--he chose 30 days of CalTrans (picking up trash on the freeway) over 90 days in Jail.

Person B claimed to be a licensed plumber and taught plumbing at a local trade school. We needed an earthquake valve installed and Rick won't come to this end of town since it is not his typical route. I discovered he had not been licensed since 1985. I turned him in to the state contractors board , also with a pile of evidence. I then had to pick his photo out of a line-up. The contractors board found him guilty and turned the case over to the City District Attorney for criminal charges to be filed. In the meantime I kept calling the school he worked--it was the only way to get a hold of him. His supervisor was a former member of the contractors board so he was on my side and definitely helped. This guy ended up using someone else's license to pull the permit to get our valve signed off on. When the inspector arrived the police were here for our clients, which is very typical, but it scared him so he signed off with barely even looking at the valve. Worried that the place may blow up from improper installation, I finally convinced Rick to come out and verify that the work was at least done right. Because he felt it was I did not take this guy to small claims court. The district attorney told me this guy (who is 60) chose 90 days in jail over 30 days of Caltrans. I could not understand why he would do this. Turns out with our overcrowded jails he was only in jail for 2 days! He has a payment plan with the court to pay us back the money he was paid. But, he has a prior conviction. So he also owes $15,000 in fines and penalties.

I kept questioning these guys as they were working. There were always things that just didn't seem right or that I was correcting, which made me start investigating. So after 6 long months and some running around it was alll worth it in the end!

Joey

you even got me worried too.

i'm rick

lesson learned, don't mess with joey

she's tuffer than the "dog".

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Plumber Rick: You, of all people, should know that any woman married to a plumber will be suspicious of any thing a plumber (or pretend one) would say or do!!!!

Comment

I wonder what she would do if her husband didn't lay that pipe just right.
        SSG, U.S. Army
        Retired
        K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Originally posted by TOD
          I wonder what she would do if her husband didn't lay that pipe just right.
          funny you would bring that up

at our wedding, i had joey put a 6'' ridgid wrench in her garter. when it came time to pull the garter, i pulled the wrench
          the d.j. asked what that was for

my responce was, i had to go lay some pipe

rick.

now i'm in trouble with mrs seat down
          Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 07-26-2006, 11:20 PM.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
          X