X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid Wet/Dry Vac

I live in Mexico. In my house, like most houses here, the water supply comes from a roof-mounted tank. Over time, sediment collects in the bottom of the tank and makes the water dirty. My question: If I drain most of the water out of the tank, could I use my Ridgid wet/dry vac to suck up the sludge at the bottom? Should I remove the filter first (because the sludge would be wet), or would the grit in the sediment ruin the motor?

If it was water only you should remove the filter, maybe if there is a layer of water on top of the sludge that is more than a few gallons I would remove the filter and vacuum off the water layer being careful not to pull up the sludge. Once most of the water is out of your tank the filter will need to go back on so none of the grit gets into the motor. The filter will get wet so make sure when you are done you remove the filter so it can dry without becoming moldy

Comment

I have used my Ridgid wet/dry vac to remove all of the sand from the filter used on my pool with no problems. Like Wayne mentioned, I keep the filter connected to prevent any grit from getting into the motor. As my pool filter uses sand containing silica I just threw away the filter when done rather than try to clean it up and get that nasty stuff all over me. I have also done the same at a friends house to clean out some sediment at the bottom of their water heater with no issues.

WWS
      Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

I believe with the regular Ridgid shop vacs it is recommended that you leave the filter on when vacuuming liquids. My little Stinger (2-gal unit also made by Ridgid) uses a paper bag type filter and the manual says to remove the filter when vacuuming liquids, but the bigger 12 gal Ridgid vac has a washable filter and it will handle liquids just fine.

I did use the little Stinger a while back to suck up some seepage in the basement, and it was a mess afterwards, with grit and dirt up into the float cage, etc. I won't do that again!

Just be sure to drain the tank afterwards and clean everything up in the tank and filter. You can easily wash the filter off and then let it dry. Don't let it sit for awhile before cleaning and don't put it back together when it's still wet. You'll end up with a smelly and moldy mess your hands.

I hope this helps,

CWS
        Last edited by CWSmith; 08-08-2006, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Sounds like this is something that you will need to do repeatedly on some schedule, so maybe think about an easier way to accomplish his task.

How about a pre-collector placed in line in front of the vac? This would be a container of appropriate size (maybe mounted on wheels as it is likely to be heavy when full) which you can seal up tight and draw a vacuum on with your shop-vac. This would have to be of fairly sturdy construction so as not to collapse under force of the vacuum. Connect a hose between your shop-vac and the tank, and attach your hose to the tank. Now your sludge goes into the tank and just like a cyclone separator on a dust collector system is left in the pre-collector tank. The shop-vac is exposed to minimal water and crud, and only supplies the vacuum power to perform the cleaning task.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
          X