X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R848 18-Volt Hand Planer Clearance

I was just at my local Home Depot store and I see the R848 18-volt Hand Planer on clearance of $79.00! It was $199.

Here is a link to the product page: http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R848-Cor...aner/index.htm

IMO, this is a great bargain for anyone interested in a portable planer.

CWS

Darnet CW I could realy us that. I didnt even know they had one and the money aint there this week. Man o man.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Be safe out there folks
    Bob B
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Comment

I was at home depot today and ran across the last one still in the box and picked up up. I think its a great deal I was just comming on here to post it when I found this ...

Comment

I saw that at HD today and was tempted, but I have a Bosch planer already. Also, the plastics on the Ridgid felt a little on the cheap side, and it came with only one battery...

Comment

A battery and a planer for $80 bucks. You can't beat it. Now if only the cordless caulking gun goes on sale!!

Comment

For those that bought one or already have one you might want to seize all the extra blades you can find if you have not already found an alternate source. If they are closing them out and knowing how hard it is to find replacement blades for some Ridgid tools in HD you could save yourself some aggravation later by stocking up now.

I don't have one but am curious, is there a portable planer blade from another manufacturer that will fit the Ridgid?
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I didn't even see the blades at HD. I'm sure some of the stores must have some. Bob D's got a good point - It's a good idea to stock up on the blades.

Comment

I took a close look at the tool and the blade issue turned me away from its purchase. The blades were listed in the last Home Depot Catalog as "online-only", so they aren't available as a standard item in the stores. (Figures, doesn't it?). Also, they are high-speed steel, single edged and they cost $20 a pair.

I looked at the Ryobi Corded model hand planer and although the build quality is less, it normall sells for $70 and comes with double-edge carbide blades. These blades sell for around $16 a set. I still have to order them, but in consideration that they are double-edged carbide, it just seems like a better deal in the long run. Of course I don't have an everyday use for such a tool, but I am planning on replacing a dozen or so doors in my old house remodel project.

CWS

Comment

Those damn blades. Only ordertree.com and MandD.com have them that I could find. My 2 HD's said they never carried them, only the bosch ones which do not fit the ridgid.

I get this planer, and all of a sudden my little brother has need to sand about 1/4 inch off of his subwoofer box. I decide let the little f-er use my new planer and save himself an hour of his life. It comes back to me with 3 severe dents in the blades from brads he claims he didnt know were in the wood. He doesnt want to pay for new blades.

Figures, baby brother comes over my house to borrow my sander, ends up ruining my brand new planer blades and then wanted me to pay for my own taco bell. Lets just say I had a few burito supremes to take home that night on the little guy.

Blades were $12.55 + shipping I think. You get one extra set from Ridgid, and I bought three spare sets.

Comment

Just picked up what may be the last r848 in the tri state area around NYC. The HD in New Rochelle NY had it complete except for the dust bag. Got it for $59.99. Called Ridgid and they are sending the bag, a set of blades and mounting screws. My Ridgid experiences have been running 100% satisfaction.
                    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

hopefully the bag will cost you less than $20. Thats a deal, even if you had to do a little searching. (and i am sure there are worse things you can do then go to a half dozen HD's on a given weekend.)

Comment

I use a hand planers a lot, only thing with carbide double edge, When someone borrows, they usually break, negating the double side use... I have yet to use the "other" side....DIRT

Comment

I hang quite a few slab doors a year and I use my Bosch planer a lot. The carbide blades are awesome - I'm still using the original blades after planing lots and lots of doors and 2x4's. I did hit a nail once or twice and dinged the blade.
                          At least they have the replacements available at Lowe's...

Comment

Working...
                          X