Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Handsaw needed?

Hi,

I don’t know if anyone can help? I am trying to source a reliable handsaw!
    I have been using cheap saws up until now but I’m fed up with the teeth going blunt pretty fast and the handles not being very comfortable.

I use my saw on a daily basis for my job so I’d be happy to spend some money on getting the right tool.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tommo

Welcome to the forum, need more info, what do you use the saw for? cutting pine 2x4 and sheet goods or fine detailed finish carpentry?
    Also do you know how to sharpen a saw, and if not are you willing to learn, need to know to recommend the correct saw
    Have you ever tried a japanese style saw? willing?
    Last edited by wbrooks; 08-23-2006, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Hi wbrooks,

Thanks for your reply, I am after a saw for mainly 2x4 and cutting panels. I have been looking at some of the better plastic handle saws with the soft grip areas, I quite like the look of the Bahco pro cut, I don't know if you have had any experience with these. Although I do like the Stanley FATMAX with the wooden handle and plastic sheaf.

I quite like the idea of sharpening my own saw but slightly concerned it may take quite a while. DO you know much about the Teflon coated blades that some makes sell, apparently they reduce friction but I'm not sure if it is just a sales gimmick.

Thanks
      Tommo

Comment

It would take you a while to develop the skill to sharpen your saw but a $100 saw would last you years instead of buying a new $30 saw every month and struggling with the cut as it dulls. Once you learn the sharpening skill you will have a sharp saw every day. I have not used a teflon coated hand saw but the coating works well on my power saw blades an easier solution would be to carry a stick of paraffin wax with you and stripe your saw with it once in a while to reduce the friction, works great with hand planes.

Comment

Sears, for one, sells a Japanese made pull saw (Shark brand) for around $30. Works well, but must have good control, as the blade is strong, but very flexible. I saw similar at HD for around same price, but not sure if made in Japan or not. Having converted to pull saw a couple years ago, don't know if I'd go back...

Comment

I have a couple of the Japanese pull saws. They were great when they were new -very sharp, but the teeth seem to break off very easily and quickly. Mine aren't used that much and they are missing a bunch of teeth!

Comment

Working...
            X