No announcement yet.

loctite 242....YIKES!!!!!!

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• loctite 242....YIKES!!!!!!

what is the secret to loctite 242? I went to buy some, and it's like gold!!!!
    I must be really old as I recall getting a small bottle of loctite 242 for a few bucks....
    today it can run over 30 bucks for a 50ml bottle!!!
    in American that's 1.69oz!!!!!!!
    let's do some math.....
    a gallon is 128oz, divide that by 1.69=75.74
    75.74x30.00= $$$2272.18 a gallon!!!!!!

I suppose that makes 3 bucks for a gallon of gas or 3.25 for a gallon of milk not so bad!

I did find a 50ml/1.69oz bottle for 17 bucks. But still YIKES !!!!!

cactus man

Loctite is officially more expensive than truffles and saffron

Speaking of locking threads, I bought 4 hardened bolts, 8 washers and 4 locking nuts for ~$10.50.

I wanted to use them for mounting my brothers 12"CSMS to his MSUV, because the grade 2 bolts, washers, and nuts I used on my MSUV bent a little.

we're getting a little reprieve on gas, hopefully other commodities will follow

Yeah loctite is expensive but it's great stuff, and a little goes a long way!
      I use it on everything!!!

My guess is that most of that $1.69 goes for packaging, the cost of the bottle it comes in, and transportation costs to get it to the retailer and that very little of it is the cost of the product itself.
        ================================================== ====
        All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

BadgerDave, the 1.69 is "ounces" [oz] not $1.69 "dollars" typical price for 1.69 ounces is $30.00....although you can find it for as low as $17.00....but still quite expensive.

cactus man

In that case then yeah, YIKES!!!!!!!
            All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

follow up... more about loctite

I have received my 50ml/1.69oz bottle of loctite. the bottle has a 2 year shelf life so I did buy too much ha ha ...but I suppose it will be ok longer than two years for my needs.

ok here is some more data about loctite:

222ms purple color break/torque 53/30
              242 blue color break/torque 110/43
              262 red color break/torque 189/275
              271 red color break/torque 250/275
              290 green color break/torque 85/250
              248 blue color break/torque 110/43
              268 red color break/torque 202/4

cure speed typical 10 minutes to full cure in 24 hours
              all have the same temperature range -65f to +300f
              viscosity does vary with some of them

some secure to where you need only a bit of extra torque to loosen
              some secure to where you require a solvent to loosen
              some secure to where heat/flame is required to loosen

they even offer a loctite primer 7649

The most common type us weekend warriors use will be the 242/blue
              You'll find this used on automobiles, and motorcycles etc.

As far as prices go typically a 10ml size [small tube] runs about 10 dollars [American] to over 30 dollars [American] for a 50ml bottle

Loctite also makes a variety of medical device adhesives
              3942 light cure various substrates uv visible
              3924 light cure plastic/metal uv visible
              3311 light cure plastic/metal uv visible low viscosity
              4304 light cure instant adhesive tack free bonds in 5 seconds
              4011 dry environment instant adhesive low viscosity
              4541 instant adhesive surface insensitive gel fast curing gel

All I can say is WOW! this is only the tip of the iceberg in the world of adhesives and threadlocker

I learned as we say "the right tool for the right job" I now also say "the right adhesive for the right job"

Cactus Man

I got real tired of constantly having to retighten the little round knobs on my drill presses handle. I put a little 242 on the threads and they haven't come loose yet and that was a few years ago. Good stuff!

I really like the 248, same strength as the 242 but more convenient for me anyway. The 248 is exactly like chapstick. This one was a handout

very expensive indeed, but tried it a couple of times and it really works..