X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• telephone wiring through cat5e

My home has cat5e running though it. Currently, I have my phones connected using only one pair of the four (8 wires in total of course) to standard telephone jack (R11 i think they are called).

If I connect cat 5e jacks (RJ45), the receptacle is too large for a phone to enter. Is there an adaptor available to connect my phone to the larger RJ45 jack?

Originally posted by franklin pug
    My home has cat5e running though it. Currently, I have my phones connected using only one pair of the four (8 wires in total of course) to standard telephone jack (R11 i think they are called).

If I connect cat 5e jacks (RJ45), the receptacle is too large for a phone to enter. Is there an adaptor available to connect my phone to the larger RJ45 jack?

franklin pug,
    just ignore the fact that the RJ 45 is larger (the key on the modular plug keys it into position). The CAT5 cable for vioce will use the 4 (blue/white) and the 5 (white/blue) conductor. This conductor is indexed to be in the center of the jack regardless of EIA/TIA 568A or EIA/TIA 568B wiring scheme.

To illustrate this wiring scheme, this page has a fair picture :
    Ethernet Cables. Although I really can't agree with the blue pair being "unused". The blue pair is always the telephone pair - it is unused for Ethernet connections, but not for a voice connection. The nice part about wiring a house with this quality of cable is it is almost "future-proof".

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by PhilG.; 10-02-2006, 09:57 PM.
    Phil
    Tools Rule

Comment

Phil, nice link.
      FP, you can get modular jacks and a multitude of face plates at HD.
      They are made by Leviton and are available for RJ11, RJ45, Coax, and even various home audio connectors. I used them in my office to run 4 RJ45's (3 computers and printer). The bedrooms have RJ11 and coax jacks.
      Really nice system.

Comment

Working...
      X