X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• giant 6 meg pictures on the main site

I was on the main site last night looking at tools, the table saw specifically. When I clicked to see the full size image, I was blown away when my DSL began choking when trying to download the 6 meg image!! LOL While that image showed great detail, no one on dialup would stay up all night waiting to see the picture. Someone might want to do some re-sizing on the images so everyone can see them.

Mark
    Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Mark

So true about people with dial-up service which there are many. It seems that web site designers (far too many) seem to think everyone has ultra high speed service now. I hate it when the main home page (some sites, but not Ridgid) is all full of Flash and takes a long time to load even with DSL or cable. People on dial-up might as well go have lunch and come back to see it still loading.

Comment

dissing the dial up crowd? I am going straight for my rotary phone to call in a complaint .
      Baseball is wrong - man with four balls cannot walk.

Comment

Well, I guess just don't click on the link to view those large images then, but it's nice that they are there for those of us who choose to view them. There's some great detail there that might be useful to someone during assembly, or you could use them as great wallpaper on your desktop.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Bob D.

Great wall paper indeed. I just notice these things when it takes sooooo long to load up an image. I still remember my old "dial up days"! LOL My inlaws still have it! Currently trying to get them DSL so they can atleast use the darn thing for more than a paper weight.

Here is the full size image on the site, 6 meg-a-whoppers!!

Here is the same image with some modest resizing and 70% jpg compression. Now 1/18 the file size and loading time.
          This one is 330kb in size, great for DSL folks.

This one I changed the DPI from 300 to 72 and added 70% jpg compression.
          This one is 85kb and is still pushing it for dial up folks but still shows really good detail.
          Last edited by The Wood Meister; 01-15-2007, 09:15 PM. Reason: goofed up URL
          Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

I think you'll find that this image is an exception. most of the larger images are in the 50-100k size range.

while still very large they fall under 1 meg even for other power tools.

http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/2E0CF14...11_1_Final.jpg

Ill see what we can do to skinny that monster down.

Josh

Comment

Hi Josh. Maybe that one slipped by the editing. The one you just posted is still huge at 600kb. Not trying to be picky, but like you say, 50kb is about anyone with dialup will wait for.

Here is the same picture at 31kb. (feel free to snag mine if you like! LOL)
              Last edited by The Wood Meister; 01-16-2007, 03:19 PM. Reason: fixing my crappy coding

Comment

Josh wrote: "Ill see what we can do to skinny that monster down."

I like being able to count the droplets of paint in a square inch on a tool, doesn't everyone?

Truthfully, I do like that large images. There used to be a section on the site that had information for the media, and there were some larger size image files there to be used in print. In the past that is where I went to look at one of the tools 'up close' on my screen. Why not move the links to these larger images back there and put something easier to chew on the individual product pages?
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Thats a great idea Bob. Maybe one page just for that. When I checked the last image that Josh posted, my photo program said it would print out at 47" by 56"!!! That's one huge print! LOL Wonder who has a printer that big!
                  Posting images on the web really challanges the person posting them. It's a whole new world out there!

Comment

Super-size images are not all that uncommon. I think there are a lot of people out there who think that every image needs to be as many megapixels as possible in order to catch the most detail.

Before I retired, one of my functions was to handle the graphics and photography for both technical and marketing product communications. As such I would get a lot of calls to fix Power Point presentations that didn't work. Most of these problems came from engineers who loved to fill their presentations with the maximum "megapixels". It was not uncommon to see a 20 "slide" presentation that was close to a gigabyte in size.

Somehow there's little comprehension that a typical monitor view is only 800 x 600, with the occasional 1024 x 768 for the hi-rez viewer. Yet most people still want to post their camera's maximum image size.

Edit: I should add that a lot depends on end use intended for a particular image. If part of the web page or presentation display than the imagine should be resized accordingly. However, if the image is posted as part of an archive, library of images, etc. that will be downloaded or made available for other reasons like advertising and public relations, then you would want the maximum resolution available. For print purposes, a good rule of thumb is 300 dpi (dot per inch). So an 8 x 10 printed image would be 2400 x 3000 pixels.

CWS
                    Last edited by CWSmith; 01-17-2007, 12:33 PM.

Comment

How about posting the same image at 2 or 3 resolutions? I've seen this on other web sites. To access the higher resolutions, you click a "high details" link under the easy access picture that's for viewing the whole of something on a monitor running at 800 x 600 resolution. Some simple photo editing programs simply will not open huge files. Error: Too many bits

Comment

we are keeping this issue in mind. It only applies to our power tool line since we got most of those images in such high rez. Since we have thousands of product pictures producing 3 resolutions for each would be a huge undertaking.

We will continue to try to improve the usability of the high res images and balance quality with speed.

Josh

Comment

Re: giant 6 meg pictures on the main site

Originally posted by The Wood Meister View Post
                          Bob D.

Great wall paper indeed. I just notice these things when it takes sooooo long to load up an image. I still remember my old "dial up days"! LOL My inlaws still have it! Currently trying to get them DSL so they can atleast use the darn thing for more than a paper weight.

Here is the full size image on the site, 6 meg-a-whoppers!!

Here is the same image with some modest resizing and 70% jpg compression. Now 1/18 the file size and loading time.
                          This one is 330kb in size, great for DSL folks.

This one I changed the DPI from 300 to 72 and added 70% jpg compression.
                          This one is 85kb and is still pushing it for dial up folks but still shows really good detail.
                          whoa!! thats huge indeed..

Comment

Re: giant 6 meg pictures on the main site

[QUOTE=Bob D.;66230]Josh wrote: "Ill see what we can do to skinny that monster down."

I like being able to count the droplets of paint in a square inch on a tool, doesn't everyone?

Comment

Working...
                            X