Searching the Forum

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching the Forum

Is there a way to search this forum for a string, instead of words? I used the Advanced Search and typed in router table, and got 473 hits, the results from a search of both words separately ("router" and "table"), which included threads about routers, table saws, etc. I tried putting the string in quotes ("router table") and got the same results, 473 hits from a search of both words separately ("router" and "table").

Am I missing something?

- djb
    sigpic

A Democracy is 2 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.

Restore the Republic.

Re: Searching the Forum

Great question. I've also run into that situation of far too much information being provided than what is wanted. Josh, if there isn't one can you put up a FAQ link on how to efficiently use the Search feature?
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Originally posted by djb View Post
      Is there a way to search this forum for a string, instead of words? I used the Advanced Search and typed in router table, and got 473 hits, the results from a search of both words separately ("router" and "table"), which included threads about routers, table saws, etc. I tried putting the string in quotes ("router table") and got the same results, 473 hits from a search of both words separately ("router" and "table").

Am I missing something?

- djb
      If you tell it to search title only you get 81 results.
      SSG, U.S. Army
      Retired
      K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Originally posted by TOD View Post
        If you tell it to search title only you get 81 results.
        TOD -

Yes, that cuts down on the number of results, but it doesn't address the problem. The search still looks for the two words separately, so in my results I get posts that have "table saw" and "router" in the title, which isn't what I want. And searching only titles for router table I'd miss a post that had a thread with the words router table in it posted under the title of "project pics."

Many search functions will search for a string of text if the string is enclosed in quotes. It's just a way to refine the search to be more specific and accurate.

Actually, it looks like the title search doesn't work properly. I searched titles for router table and a post titled "ts 3650 Modzs" was included in the results. This thread has router table in the threads, but not the title...

Josh - are you listening?

- djb
        sigpic

Restore the Republic.

Comment

I believe the DB (database) the lies behind the vBulletin user interface of the forum uses boolean search logic. I don't know how much of this vBulletin supports w/o digging through the manual, probably Josh knows.

Here's a clip from the DB manual on searching; this will apply to any site that uses this type of searching such as Google, Alta-Vista, Yahoo, etc.:
          --------------------------

The boolean full-text search capability supports the following operators:
          • +
            A leading plus sign indicates that this word must be present in each row that is returned.
          • -
            A leading minus sign indicates that this word must not be present in any of the rows that are returned.
            Note: The - operator acts only to exclude rows that are otherwise matched by other search terms. Thus, a boolean-mode search that contains only terms preceded by - returns an empty result. It does not return “all rows except those containing any of the excluded terms.”
          • (no operator)
            By default (when neither + nor - is specified) the word is optional, but the rows that contain it are rated higher. This mimics the behavior of MATCH() ... AGAINST() without the IN BOOLEAN MODE modifier.
          • > <
            These two operators are used to change a word's contribution to the relevance value that is assigned to a row. The > operator increases the contribution and the < operator decreases it. See the example following this list.
          • ( )
            Parentheses group words into subexpressions. Parenthesized groups can be nested.
          • ~
            A leading tilde acts as a negation operator, causing the word's contribution to the row's relevance to be negative. This is useful for marking “noise” words. A row containing such a word is rated lower than others, but is not excluded altogether, as it would be with the - operator.
            The asterisk serves as the truncation (or wildcard) operator. Unlike the other operators, it should be appended to the word to be affected. Words match if they begin with the word preceding the * operator.
          • "
            A phrase that is enclosed within double quote (‘"’) characters matches only rows that contain the phrase literally, as it was typed. The full-text engine splits the phrase into words, performs a search in the FULLTEXT index for the words. Prior to MySQL 5.0.3, the engine then performed a substring search for the phrase in the records that were found, so the match must include non-word characters in the phrase. As of MySQL 5.0.3, non-word characters need not be matched exactly: Phrase searching requires only that matches contain exactly the same words as the phrase and in the same order. For example, "test phrase" matches "test, phrase" in MySQL 5.0.3, but not before.
            If the phrase contains no words that are in the index, the result is empty. For example, if all words are either stopwords or shorter than the minimum length of indexed words, the result is empty.
          The following examples demonstrate some search strings that use boolean full-text operators:
          • 'apple banana'
            Find rows that contain at least one of the two words.
          • '+apple +juice'
            Find rows that contain both words.
          • '+apple macintosh'
            Find rows that contain the word “apple”, but rank rows higher if they also contain “macintosh”.
          • '+apple -macintosh'
            Find rows that contain the word “apple” but not “macintosh”.
          • '+apple ~macintosh'
            Find rows that contain the word “apple”, but if the row also contains the word “macintosh”, rate it lower than if row does not. This is “softer” than a search for '+apple -macintosh', for which the presence of “macintosh” causes the row not to be returned at all.
          • '+apple +(>turnover <strudel)'
            Find rows that contain the words “apple” and “turnover”, or “apple” and “strudel” (in any order), but rank “apple turnover” higher than “apple strudel”.
          • 'apple*'
            Find rows that contain words such as “apple”, “apples”, “applesauce”, or “applet”.
          • '"some words"'
            Find rows that contain the exact phrase “some words” (for example, rows that contain “some words of wisdom” but not “some noise words”). Note that the ‘"’ characters that enclose the phrase are operator characters that delimit the phrase. They are not the quotes that enclose the search string itself.
          --------------------------
          I don't believe that vBulletin supports or follows the above rules in all cases because if you do a string search enclosing your string in quotes ( "router table") vBulletin does not appear to follow the rules; it will return results that contain the words 'router' and 'table' but not restrict the results to the literal string "router table".

Hears a short and quick description of how they boolean logic works which may help you perform searches here and on many other sites.

http://media2.uwaterloo.ca/doc/BOOLEAN.HTX

This one is more in depth;
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boolean_logic
          "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
          John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Mercy snakes, Bob! That's a lot of digging around for information. Thanks for your work. This pretty much describes search methods I've used elsewhere.

I believe you made the case clear that vBulletin (hence the RIDGID Forum) does not adhere to these commonly used search methods.

- djb
            sigpic

Restore the Republic.

Comment

Bob, I didn't understand a word your wrote.
              ================================================== ====
              ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

"router table" should work as a phrase. I do see where there is a problem. I will look into it a bit more when I get a chance on Monday.

Everyone enjoy the weekend.

Josh

Comment

josh, i thought i might catch you here

how's the butt crack ball

how many elvis's have you run into?

is it snowing like when joey and i went a few years ago

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

I got to come home last night. Cleaner show is the same as it always has been. Next year they are moving it so a nice change of venue may breath some new life into it.

I keep telling everyone I want to go to phcc but they just think its because its in CA :-)

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    josh, i thought i might catch you here

how's the butt crack ball

how many elvis's have you run into?

is it snowing like when joey and i went a few years ago

rick.

Comment

Working...
                    X