This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "For Sale" Forum Section(?)

I'm wondering if a "For Sale" section on this Forum would be used?
    (Or allowed, Josh?)

- djb
    sigpic

A Democracy is 2 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.

Restore the Republic.

Re: "For Sale" Forum Section(?)

This has been asked for a bunch of times. The only thing that has scared me away from it is us being liable for transactions gone wrong. Plus I will have to do a lot more policing to keep the spammers out.

If you guys can do the foot work for me I will seriously consider puting this up. heres what I need you guys to find.

1) A disclaimer that will protect us (could copy this from some other forum that has a For Sales section)

2) I would need you guys to keep an eye on the forum to make sure people arent posting crap like cell phones, or links to other selling sites.

3) Also any experiences in other sites that have for sale sections. Problems experienced, Creative management of the Forums, etc.

Thanks,

Josh

Comment

My take on these types of forums is that they start out with good intentions to help members sell tools they no longer want or need. Unfortunately, it doesn't take long before retail interests creep into the forums. Then before you know it, it's full of craigslist ads and local bargains that only very few members can take advantage of.

If you do consider putting up one of these forums I'd like to see it limited to Ridgid tools only. I see no reason why Ridgid should provide an outlet for other brands of tools to be sold. Of course the downside to the Ridgid only restriction would be the small amount of "for sale" posts.
      ================================================== ====
      ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Just my personal opinion, but I believe there are enough "For Sale" forums on the net already, and I wouldn't like to see this useful and informative forum cluttered up with sales for everything from apples to zebras.
        Jim

Comment

That is another consideration. These tools that would be for sale on the forum would be heavy pieces of equipment. Shipping would strip a lot of the "deal" out of it. Plus with the added maintenance and playing modertor it would be a tricky endevor.

Josh

Comment

OK, maybe not a good idea.

I actually tried to PM Josh before I posted this message to get his input first, but the message got posted anyway. (I was going to include a poll, and I thought I paused the posting at the "create a poll" section of the post, but apparently I did not.. )

Josh, can you delete this entire thread?

- djb
            sigpic

A Democracy is 2 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.

Restore the Republic.

Comment

No to (for sell) posts, if someone has something they can email one an others, and keep it out of Ridgid. Now if some one needs something and another person is willing to part with theirs, ok I'd say. But no sales here, I like whats going on in this site and thats what brings me back, decent here, polite people, don't ruin it... My opinion... I do like the fact that when someone see's a great deal from some where they share that deal with others. Thats cool.
              Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

i think if you were to put a spot for things to go up for sale ,that the person selling something is the only one to post what is for sale with a description or photo. and if some one has a question on the sale it is to be done with e mail or P M .
                then you can lock it and no one can post on it . when the sale is done they can P M some one to delete it or say it is sold.

josh maybe you can make a couple top posting members monitors so when they see something posted they can help lock it . or if there is enough people at ridgid to do this .
                Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
                  Just my personal opinion, but I believe there are enough "For Sale" forums on the net already, and I wouldn't like to see this useful and informative forum cluttered up with sales for everything from apples to zebras.
                  Jim

Here, here, I second this. Keep the 'for sale' stuff elsewhere, it's just asking for trouble.
                  "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                  John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Agreed... this has come up a few times and has died off. We'll just quit posting to it and it will eventually end up in the bone yard for future searchers. Good idea but as always there are some problems along with it. It works out great for golf equipment sites. I have purchased some of my clubs off a for sale forum. RIDGID tools is a whole nother thing though

Josh

Comment

Working...
                    X