X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hall of Fame Forum

I just read a post by Bob D. on the plumbing forum that I thought was great. Every once in awhile you read the post that seems to capture the idea, explain it so well that you think it needs to be saved.

I propose that Ridgid starts a Hall of Fame forum that archieves the great posts. Someone nominates it and if a certain amout of members agree, it gets saved into the forum.

I know it sounds nuts, but let's face it, posting on an internet forum is kinda nuts.
    the dog

Re: Hall of Fame Forum

sounds good dog

small issue, to get into the hall of fame, you need to be out of the "game" for 7 years

bob is still here and hopefully will still be here posting in 7 years

now "plumber" still has another 5 years to go

otherwise it sounds great.

rick.

ps. bob's post was very true
    phoebe it is

Comment

Yea,

But why wait seven years after they leave. Why not post the great posts, such as that one in one forum. Easy to find.

This forum has had some great posts, and none were mine, so this is not self-serving. But I would like to see the classics preserved.
      the dog

Comment

i have found posts in here from 2001 so it doesn't seem to me that they are gone. it would be nice if there was a way you could serch the posts from each year. i do understand what you mean by posts that "seems to capture the idea, explain it so well" but that is differant for everyone. example. some with the ts3650 would love to see it in there and i am sure you want to see something from plumbing but i could care less about either of those, but i have to say i think some from the safety forum would be nice to see in there, the point it it would be nice if the threads were saved better then they are and was orgainzed by . year, section, and how many responded.
        9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I am willing to go down this route dog. We need a clear cut idea of what we want to show up in this forum though. Maybe top quotes of all times. Or simply make a linked section that has links to top threads of all times.

Lets hash this out a little then I could put something together. Somewhere down the road I want to organize threads by topic discussed. Would be a great resource for people looking around for topics on specific products. They could always use the search though too.

Josh

Comment

I think it's a good idea. I'd love to have a section to go through that has posts or threads others found especially helpful from the past. Even on topics that I don't find pertinent to my day to day, if they are well written and informative it's fun to learn. I wouldn't even expect a very stringent guideline for qualifying, a few folks thinking it's worth a vote would probably mean it's worth it for me to read.

It would give me something to check out in between more recent updates

I think that is where it would really find it's purpose, for us folks who spend a lot (too much?) time on this forum mostly for entertainment. I like to read it while I play online poker myself, in between hands, and I find the tool lust I get here eats up my poker profits nicely! Some threads are very topic specific, ie the fence is slipping on my framing hammer model 321, but others are more universal or develop into more interesting subjects...okay, not this post by me maybe, but I hope I am making my point.
            Last edited by woodenstickers; 03-31-2007, 10:15 PM.
            A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

I like it....might be a little extra incentive to go the extra mile with a response. And let's face it, sometimes the task of typing a really "good" response can be a chore.

Comment

Originally posted by woodenstickers View Post
                I think it's a good idea. I'd love to have a section to go through that has posts or threads others found especially helpful from the past. Even on topics that I don't find pertinent to my day to day, if they are well written and informative it's fun to learn. I wouldn't even expect a very stringent guideline for qualifying, a few folks thinking it's worth a vote would probably mean it's worth it for me to read.

It would give me something to check out in between more recent updates

I think that is where it would really find it's purpose, for us folks who spend a lot (too much?) time on this forum mostly for entertainment. I like to read it while I play online poker myself, in between hands, and I find the tool lust I get here eats up my poker profits nicely! Some threads are very topic specific, ie the fence is slipping on my framing hammer model 321, but others are more universal or develop into more interesting subjects...okay, not this post by me maybe, but I hope I am making my point.
                There's a Jeep forum I saw somewhere that had a FAQs section where posts answering some of the same annoying questions were placed. This might help the seemingly endless amount of people having problems with their sump pumps.
                the dog

Comment

Josh and others,

What about using the Thread Ratings button? It's at the top of each thread.

Josh, can votes be tallied from the ratings such that if enough people think a particular thread is above and beyond the rest that it gets shifted over (automagically by the forum software or manually by you) to a new, "Best of the Best" (or whatever you wanna call it) Forum Area.

When I started the TS-3650 Assembly Tips thread I hoped that others would start a similar thread for some of the other tools like the BS which everyone has a thousand questions about. I don't have a RIDGID BS so that is why I did not start one. The TS thread is probably one of the most popular in the whole Forum, with over 12,700 views. The next closest is the TS-3650 Outfeed table thread, with 12,500 views. I don't think there are many threads in any of hte forums that come close to these. Josh made the TS-3650 Assembly Tips thread a Sticky, which keeps it at the top of the list so people can find it easily. I hope it has help others save some time and solve problems they may have had during assembly.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10 View Post
                    I just read a post by Bob D. on the plumbing forum that I thought was great. Every once in awhile you read the post that seems to capture the idea, explain it so well that you think it needs to be saved.

I propose that Ridgid starts a Hall of Fame forum that archieves the great posts. Someone nominates it and if a certain amout of members agree, it gets saved into the forum.

I know it sounds nuts, but let's face it, posting on an internet forum is kinda nuts.

Looks like it's your idea is slipping Dog,it is a great idea.So many times I try to go back in time to find something someone said that impressed me and couldn't find it.Thanks to Josh's offer I'll bet it could pushed through.Anything I can do?

Comment

Threads can be rated currently. 1-5 stars. Its just that nobody uses that system.

Josh

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                      Josh and others,

What about using the Thread Ratings button? It's at the top of each thread.

Josh, can votes be tallied from the ratings such that if enough people think a particular thread is above and beyond the rest that it gets shifted over (automagically by the forum software or manually by you) to a new, "Best of the Best" (or whatever you wanna call it) Forum Area.

When I started the TS-3650 Assembly Tips thread I hoped that others would start a similar thread for some of the other tools like the BS which everyone has a thousand questions about. I don't have a RIDGID BS so that is why I did not start one. The TS thread is probably one of the most popular in the whole Forum, with over 12,700 views. The next closest is the TS-3650 Outfeed table thread, with 12,500 views. I don't think there are many threads in any of hte forums that come close to these. Josh made the TS-3650 Assembly Tips thread a Sticky, which keeps it at the top of the list so people can find it easily. I hope it has help others save some time and solve problems they may have had during assembly.

Comment

Working...
                      X